• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Richard from Hoeg Law reviews the applications and filings in a new video. Super interesting information if you want to understand how something like this can happen.

Nola

Oct 29, 2017
Honestly 'Fenyx Rising" is the real issue I have with the title.

It's just....bad. Really, really bad.

I honestly didn't care for Gods and Monsters either. All of the titles have been really uninspired.

Mivey

Oct 25, 2017
Ubi should have just paid Monster Energy some money and have it appear in the game. They clearly have no problem with being used as product placement
death-stranding-monster-energy-drink-product-placement-small.gif

Soviet

Oct 28, 2017
As far as bad "gamey" titles go, Immortals Fenyx Rising is still better than Unknown 9: Awakening.

Loud Wrong

Feb 24, 2020
Call it whatever you want, just release it on time. My most anticipated title for the PS5 at the end of the year. Looks like BoTW with actual fun combat.

IIFloodyII

Oct 26, 2017
Would have never guessed that's why, surprised it was enough for Monster to get it changed too.

Deleted member 11976

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It was likely renamed because the title is too generic and wouldn't help discoverability online. This was the case with several games at Ubisoft. Starlink: Battle for Atlas as one example. Subtitling also helps if you create subsequent titles in a franchise. Some Ubisoft IPs have ditched numbering sequels entirely, like AC, GR, and Watchdogs.

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
Could they have not changed it to Gods & Beasts or something along those lines? The new name is just so bad

Lowrys

Oct 25, 2017
London
It was likely renamed because the title is too generic and wouldn't help discoverability online. This was the case with several games at Ubisoft. Starlink: Battle for Atlas as one example. Subtitling also helps if you create subsequent titles in a franchise. Some Ubisoft IPs have ditched numbering sequels entirely, like AC, GR, and Watchdogs.
Speaking as a lawyer, this seems far more plausible than anything to do with Monster Energy. Highly unlikely to be any IP issue there.

Dosmo

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
I feel like it's always a bad sign when there's a colon in the name of the first game in a series.

Alastor3

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
with a title as immortal, the fenyx rising is just a subtitle and will change if they ever make a 2

can't wait for Immortals 2; cthulu rising

Muu

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Monster energy drinks or monster cable? I recall the latter had a pretty strong marketing arm that kept companies from using 'monster' in their names in the past.

OP
OP
Rocketz

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
Speaking as a lawyer, this seems far more plausible than anything to do with Monster Energy. Highly unlikely to be any IP issue there.
Would you file a trademark for something even if you were going to update the title later? Looks like they filed for a lot of different items and once Monster made their appeal, Ubisoft appeared to just back away from the name.

GrahamGoring

Nov 8, 2017
This happened to a game I worked on where another company claimed our name could cause brand confusion (which it TOTES could have, and indeed, did), although our subsequent name change was a lot less pronounced.