• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Theorry

Oct 27, 2017
Was shown during the gamepass ad at the gamescom show

Egc_rX2WoA0_Qwo

Last edited:

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
This game launched and I couldn't of been more disappointed.

It might be my 2020 GOTY lol.

Game is just too much fun with friends

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
"Awww cute puppy"
*accidentally picks up dog when trying to lower anchor*
"God damned dog!"

Might have to shell some money for one, been in love with this game after starting it a couple months ago.

Green Mario

Oct 27, 2017
This game launched and I couldn't of been more disappointed.

It might be my 2020 GOTY lol.

Game is just too much fun with friends

Same. Bought it the day it came out and there was nothing to do. Sailing was fun and all, but meh. Started playing it again randomly and I love it. Wish it could have launched like this.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017
Same. Bought it the day it came out and there was nothing to do. Sailing was fun and all, but meh. Started playing it again randomly and I love it. Wish it could have launched like this.

A couple friends and I tried it and now were at the point where enough of us want to play every day someone gets mad ships are full up.

We just pick up a voyage and start sailing and 4 hours later we run into enough stuff we want to do the voyage isnt even finished.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Is the loop of this game still collecting animals/chests/skulls with the same 3 types of voyages? And is the combat the same as launch? Those things + how long doing simple things could take were my biggest issues with SoT

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
What happens to your cats/dogs/ birds if they are on your ship and it gets sunk?

They can't die. You just retrieve them from the pet box in a new ship if they ever go missing.

Is the loop of this game still collecting animals/chests/skulls with the same 3 types of voyages? And is the combat the same as launch? Those things + how long doing simple things could take were my biggest issues with SoT

I don't think that'll ever change, that's the game.

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018

Yeah, kinda.

They've added a lot more to do, so you've got storyline quests, boss fights, more PvE elements, etc. so if you don't like those fetch quest type parts of the game, there is nothing forcing you to do them.

The sword combat is still bad. The gun combat is still average, but the ship to ship combat is a lot of fun.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
They can't die. You just retrieve them from the pet box in a new ship if they ever go missing.

I don't think that'll ever change, that's the game.

i dont want it to change, I want it to get expanded on. More weapon types or enemy types, or expand the combat systems/options a bit. Add different types of voyages for the factions or add more factions with their own types.

Yeah, kinda.

They've added a lot more to do, so you've got storyline quests, boss fights, more PvE elements, etc. so if you don't like those fetch quest type parts of the game, there is nothing forcing you to do them.

The sword combat is still bad. The gun combat is still average, but the ship to ship combat is a lot of fun.

Thanks. It was fun for a while I guess how long we'd be out at sea for some coins for outfits wore thin on my wife and I after a while. Also she hates pvp so that doesnt help XD

SuikerBrood

Jan 21, 2018
They have added more type of voyages per faction though. And they've added factions. Next month the gold hoarders are getting a third option besides riddle maps and X marks the spot.

Mukrab

Apr 19, 2020
Cool. Too bad having a pet out has downsides making them essentially useless after the first few times and then you just never use them.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
Bit off topic, but how is this game solo? Tried it out when it released and was disappointed, might give it another chance.

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Bit off topic, but how is this game solo? Tried it out when it released and was disappointed, might give it another chance.

I play both in groups and solo, and solo is definitely a different experience. You can still do everything, but you have to be hyper-vigilant and wary of other players. Sometimes when solo I'll just go to the seaposts and fish and do Sea Dogs rep, especially if I've seen other players that are repping Reapers. Then again, I watch streamers that are good enough to solo a galleon crew and steal their athena/FotD loot. It's still a game almost entirely about self-goal formation any way you play.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017

You most certainly can, the Sloop isn't even that bad solo. I'm not a fan of going solo myself since the game is a social thing for me, but my friend does it quite often. He'll take on boats bigger and with more people than him. More players can make it easier, but also more players means more chance for people to fuck up and not do things they shouldn't (OMG why did you anchor?!!?). In some ways solo is easier since communication is a huge part of the game and can ruin a crew if they don't do it well, and if you're solo you don't have to worry about that aspect of the game.

Last edited:

Teuthex

May 31, 2019
Give me a Whippet or Italian Greyhound and I will buy it ALL the costumes. An Australian cattle dog will do too I guess though.

Dogs are a great addition, with so many distinct breeds to choose from. If they are smart, they will make lots of different breeds and colours, because lots of people will want versions of their own pet/dream dog.

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
I play both in groups and solo, and solo is definitely a different experience. You can still do everything, but you have to be hyper-vigilant and wary of other players. Sometimes when solo I'll just go to the seaposts and fish and do Sea Dogs rep, especially if I've seen other players that are repping Reapers. Then again, I watch streamers that are good enough to solo a galleon crew and steal their athena/FotD loot. It's still a game almost entirely about self-goal formation any way you play.
You most certainly can, the Sloop isn't even that bad solo. I'm not a fan of going solo myself since the game is a social thing for me, but my friend does it quite often. He'll take on boats bigger and with more people than him. More players can make it easier, but also more players means more chance for people to fuck up and not do things they shouldn't (OMG why did you anchor?!!?). In some ways solo is easier since communication is a huge part of the game and can ruin a crew if they don't do it well, and if you're solo you don't have to worry about that aspect of the game.
Thank you for your answers. I don't have anyone to play the game on a regular basis and, as you said, communication is important, I don't want to play with randoms. Guess I'll just try it out.

TheJackdog

Oct 27, 2017

this is the main loop, but usually the "fun" part comes from what you do once youre out there.

Like the reapers flag has been a ton of fun for us. Pick a quest, go sailing for the quest, but look for anyone on the horizon or events to do while sailing around.