• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Feb 21, 2019
I'm just going to add this to the OP because it sounds smart
HAHA, please don't. My overall point is that (1) we don't know what document we were looking at in that tweet, (2) there is a specific number out there that is defined and what was paid (paid including both amounts in cash and other considerations). While we can probably estimate where we are from the numbers we looked at, its hard to really determine what is really going on with just a snapshot like that.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
HAHA, please don't. My overall point is that (1) we don't know what document we were looking at in that tweet, (2) there is a specific number out there that is defined and what was paid (paid including both amounts in cash and other considerations). While we can probably estimate where we are from the numbers we looked at, its hard to really determine what is really going on with just a snapshot like that.
True, I stare at hospital contracts all day and I should have known that. But still, it's something to discuss until Zhuge possibly swings by and drops some knowledge

Feb 21, 2019
The quote in the Twitter post is from the most recent 10K filing.
https://investor.activision.com/node/32301/html
It made it on their annual report. Well then alright! What's interesting is the following quote "Bungie's assumption of on-going customer obligations of Activision. " Wonder what that is.

Im also not exactly sure what the net operating income under GAAP is really representing.

I still would want to see Bungie's 10K/ or 10Q, but really want the purchase and sale agreement. Thats where you will get the most accurate description of what happened.

Feb 21, 2019
True, I stare at hospital contracts all day and I should have known that. But still, it's something to discuss until Zhuge possibly swings by and drops some knowledge
The document we were looking at was indeed the 10K (10Q being quarterly SEC filings, 10K being annual), so my post isn't as accurate as it could be. There is more to the story however to try and flesh out exactly the value realized by activision as delivered by Bungie. That is still a little unclear.

That said, the ballpark of 200 million/300 million does seem about right as a gut check.

Deleted member 47843

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Bungie aren't ones to give up on something. Good luck to them, I hope their future is bright doing it themselves.

I'm fairly optimistic that Destiny will be better going forward. That they fixed both games with the Taken King and Foresaken, respectively, shows they can get the formula right when given enough time. With doing it themselves they'll have much less pressure to rush things out before they're ready.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Oh man not you too šŸ˜ž
th

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder what happens on PC since the blizzard launcher is the only way to buy/play the game, i bet bungie is dying to cut a lucrative deal with epic

number8888

Oct 27, 2017
Unless you are psychic, saying it was worth it is not true, YET.

It may be long term, but we won't know until a little way down the road. The reason being they have to recoup all the money they threw at the Activision while also having to foot the cost of marketing etc.

It's every bit worth it just to get far away from the cesspoll that is Activision. Whatever happens next for them is just a bonus.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Hold on, are they saying $91M is the sum of their Destiny income in 2018 plus the cash from the publishing rights transfer? Or are they saying that $91M is solely the publishing transfer?

Baji Boxer

Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
From where? That is main question. That is why i hope that they have some investors lined up.
They still probably made a ton of money from Destiny 1 & 2. From Bungie's perspective, it did very well financially. The first game had over $300 million in sales day 1. Bungie got something like a 20% to 30% cut too from the franchise.

LycanXIII

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Not gonna bother responding to everyone who quoted me but as of now, Destiny 2 isnt even in the top 15 on the Xbox most played list.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox

Not exactly a good look for a AAA GaaS. So yeah, if you think the Destiny ip is a hot commodity, feel free to post evidence proving so.
Forza Horizon is a dead IP, good thing Playground is working on Fable now.
Why even make Gears 5 and Halo Infinite with Gears 4 and Halo 5 that low?

Deleted member 49804

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 21, 2018
It made it on their annual report. Well then alright! What's interesting is the following quote "Bungie's assumption of on-going customer obligations of Activision. " Wonder what that is.

Im also not exactly sure what the net operating income under GAAP is really representing.

I still would want to see Bungie's 10K/ or 10Q, but really want the purchase and sale agreement. Thats where you will get the most accurate description of what happened.
Bungie did not only bought the publishing rights, but also all ongoing obligations Activision has in regards to the publishing of Destiny.
If we talk about monetary stuff that would be refunds etc for example.
"We got money and rid of any obligations in exchange for the publishing rights"

The latter is deferred revenue and OI recognition, that's now in the books.
It's the difference between income statement and cash flow statement. One is when revenue and expenses are realized the other is when cash is payed (simplified)

Deferred revenue is recognized after cash was already received.
A games industry example for that would be a Season Pass. You get the cash for upfront.

Net bookins is a cash flow metric. That's why I assume Bungie payed $20m in cash.

Net Bookings

We monitor net bookings as a key operating metric in evaluating the performance of our business. Net bookings is the net amount of products and services sold digitally or sold-in physically in the period, and includes license fees, merchandise, and publisher incentives, among others. Net bookings is equal to net revenues excluding the impact from deferrals.

Last edited:

Stalker

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Not gonna bother responding to everyone who quoted me but as of now, Destiny 2 isnt even in the top 15 on the Xbox most played list.

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/store/most-played/games/xbox

Not exactly a good look for a AAA GaaS. So yeah, if you think the Destiny ip is a hot commodity, feel free to post evidence proving so.

This is almost tales from my ass tier posting

The game is averaging 600k players day in day out in a lull state of service before a major DLC drops.
300+ people are streaming it on twitch
It has 3x the amount of followers that Warframe and The Division do on twitch
The trailer released yesterday is the 29th trending video for gaming on youtube the other 29 are Fortnite Season 8 stuff.

If you don't think that the biggest FPS GaaS is a hot commodity to own then you need to give your head a shake.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
Well good luck with that I got burned twice. Not happening again regardless how good the dlc's were.
Even as a Destiny fan, I can understand this.

If Destiny, Destiny 2, The Division, Anthem and Fallout fucking 76 have taught me anything its that you NEVER buy a GaaS game in the inaugural year, it's just a recipe for heartbreak and frustration.

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny 2 is really good now and just like other games that have turned things around like NMS, they deserve credit. It's also been very cheap many times to jump in so I don't see much to complain about atm. Sure you can lament about the past but you don't see FF14 players still complaining about the atrocious state that game used to be in.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
They still probably made a ton of money from Destiny 1 & 2. From Bungie's perspective, it did very well financially. The first game had over $300 million in sales day 1. Bungie got something like a 20% to 30% cut too from the franchise.
The costs were extremely high, and I'm sure royalties would be after the expenses are paid, which for Bungie could be $75M per year now (in 2016 an article said they have 750 staff). And the publisher doesn't get 100% of sales revenue, it would be closer to 60%. So take 60% of all sales revenue, minus probably over $500M in costs so far, then say 30% of what's left going to Bungie. I don't know that it's that high of a figure, which is why Kotick didn't really care about letting it go, and why the cost to buy the rights back isn't that high.

Hikari

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elysium
OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
Chances are whatever they are doing is all Destiny - Online and not much to do with Destiny 2. It's nice they are fulfilling those commitments for us with the annual pass but I'm guessing they want to get out that new base model as soon as possible

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
they've already announced plans to squeeze more mtx out of players, with the removal of the prismatic matrix and the introduction of new silver-only bundles with exclusive items.

Stardestroyer

Oct 31, 2017
It's every bit worth it just to get far away from the cesspoll that is Activision. Whatever happens next for them is just a bonus.
Again, you don't know that. There is a reason companies are willing to be bought by bigger publishers and they don't do it because they like it, but because of the security.

Given how much Activision talked about Destiny and all that 500 million. I find it strange that they were OK with letting them walk for a mere 100 million and something million. That says more about the start of destiny than about Activision.

The people who will suffer the most from this are destiny players because bungie will have to find ways to monetize and make up whatever money they paid to Activision, while also paying their own bills and funding the publishing.

Forsaken82

Oct 27, 2017

It will be interesting if you still think this way if Destiny 3 fails commercially because they lack the marketing budget Activision allowed them. Destiny 3 could be the best Destiny game to date, leaps and bounds superior to Taken King D1 and Forsaken D2 and fail miserably because they couldn't market the game properly.

Shit on Activision all you want, but this aspect of the partnership can't be dismissed.

Swiggins

was promised a tag
Apr 10, 2018
It will be interesting if you still think this way if Destiny 3 fails commercially because they lack the marketing budget Activision allowed them. Destiny 3 could be the best Destiny game to date, leaps and bounds superior to Taken King D1 and Forsaken D2 and fail miserably because they couldn't market the game properly.

Shit on Activision all you want, but this aspect of the partnership can't be dismissed.
Destiny is an established brand and a known quantity at this point, even without an enormous budget the game would be pretty easy to market with just a few trailers and word of mouth.

OP
OP
TheGhost

TheGhost

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Long Island
they've already announced plans to squeeze more mtx out of players, with the removal of the prismatic matrix and the introduction of new silver-only bundles with exclusive items.
So let them, if it's even interesting I would throw them some bones. I would pay money for say.....mask oranments that were actually good. They need the money.

Feb 21, 2019
Bungie did not only bought the publishing rights, but also all ongoing obligations Activision has in regards to the publishing of Destiny.
If we talk about monetary stuff that would be refunds etc for example.
"We got money and rid of any obligations in exchange for the publishing rights"

The latter is deferred revenue and OI recognition, that's now in the books.
It's the difference between income statement and cash flow statement. One is when revenue and expenses are realized the other is when cash is payed (simplified)

Deferred revenue is recognized after cash was already received.
A games industry example for that would be a Season Pass. You get the cash for upfront.

Net bookins is a cash flow metric. That's why I assume Bungie payed $20m in cash.
I know...I was curious to exactly what the ongoing obligations are and how it was quantified.

20 million still seems staggeringly low even in light of the other accounting values.

I just want to see the PSA. That would end all of this and not filtered through accountant speak (as opposed to my native tongue, legalese).

Scuffed

Oct 28, 2017
This is almost tales from my ass tier posting

The game is averaging 600k players day in day out in a lull state of service before a major DLC drops.
300+ people are streaming it on twitch
It has 3x the amount of followers that Warframe and The Division do on twitch
The trailer released yesterday is the 29th trending video for gaming on youtube the other 29 are Fortnite Season 8 stuff.

If you don't think that the biggest FPS GaaS is a hot commodity to own then you need to give your head a shake.

Should also add that their Reddit is much more active than most. Generally 7-9k there every time I visit and I have only been doing that since I started playing again, which is at the tail end of the last content launch. It is among the most subscribed gaming subreddits.

Halabane

Nov 10, 2017
Destiny is going to China. Netease is now on their board of directors, this is more than them just handing over some cash. They used the 100m to buy themselves out of Activision. Since, they have not published Destiny, yet in China the focus will be there along with mobile (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-than-usd100-million-investment-from-netease) That is easy cash and loot boxes and whales await.

Don't need D3 development costs when you can make money on bringing it to a huge market like China. I am surprised that Activision could not get the same thing done with Tencent, who already does WoW for them in China. That to me is the interesting story, that they could not get that done. If I was a stockholder that is the question I would want Bobby to answer.

Cels

Oct 26, 2017
So let them, if it's even interesting I would throw them some bones. I would pay money for say.....mask oranments that were actually good. They need the money.

they don't have to remove the prismatic matrix to offer special exclusives with silver. they've already done that with the iron banner emote and ghost projections. and they are spinning this as an improvement for the players. good luck to them.

ColonelForbin

Oct 28, 2017
Destiny is going to China. Netease is now on their board of directors, this is more than them just handing over some cash. They used the 100m to buy themselves out of Activision. Since, they have not published Destiny, yet in China the focus will be there along with mobile (https://www.gamesindustry.biz/artic...e-than-usd100-million-investment-from-netease) That is easy cash and loot boxes and whales await.

Don't need D3 development costs when you can make money on bringing it to a huge market like China. I am surprised that Activision could not get the same thing done with Tencent, who already does WoW for them in China. That to me is the interesting story, that they could not get that done. If I was a stockholder that is the question I would want Bobby to answer.
Activision saw a decline in users and purchases of DLC. Activision probably viewed the franchise not moving in the right direction. Not worth the investment anymore.

Deleted member 49804

Banned
Nov 21, 2018
I know...I was curious to exactly what the ongoing obligations are and how it was quantified.

20 million still seems staggeringly low even in light of the other accounting values.

I just want to see the PSA. That would end all of this and not filtered through accountant speak (as opposed to my native tongue, legalese).
I find 20 million to be right around what I would've expected.
It's just the publishing rights for 2 more years and getting out of a most likely first refusal clause for further games. It was a fixed 10 year deal in the first place.
Activision sees the IP more as a burden, than great profit maker and they still get paid for it.
Bungie always owned the IP anyway.

I think 100m would be extremely excessive and not worth it for a studio to self-publish.
Publishing it cost extensive and not easy.

PancakeFlip

Oct 26, 2017
That's a lot of loot boxes...

Falling off of D2, gambit and pvp doesn't really do it for me and the move away from story dlc (with new strikes and missions) isn't my thing. I'll be back for D3, maybe just skip the passes if they don't want to make the kinda stuff they used to.

I was thinking of going back, but I didn't know they were mainly salvaging the game through pvp, not that I don't like pvp, but that doesn't seem like a good sign. Yeah, they fixed lots of stuff but it seems from this that they are still having trouble with developing hefty after release pve content.

Demacabre

Nov 20, 2017
And they still. Laid off 800 people

This. These business models are downright atrocious where having the best selling game of the year, employing all kinds of MTX, and getting 100 million for an IP isn't enough. How much money do you need to keep people employed? And people, here on this very forum, will stan for these corporations every chance they get.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
I said this back when the split happened that something must've been paid since Bungie left before the 10 year contract was over.

Deleted member 11832

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's literally the cost of making a brand new AAA game.

I don't think the Destiny IP was worth that much. Just imagine the cool new shit they could've made with that money...