• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
JBL LSR 305 Studio Monitors.
Cheap and good sound quality.
If you want more bass, you can throw in a LSR 310S. They pair perfectly.

Oct 25, 2017
Whatever is in my laptop lol. I had some logitech ones years ago and they were alright. They were the most popular ones listed at Bestbuy and Amazon...got them for around $30

Systolique

Oct 26, 2017
I use Yamaha HS7s, and you can 5.1 with 5 studio monitors and one sub -- it will be better than your current setup

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
I play all of my games in a relatively smaller room (~11x11 feet) at a desk, and was previously using an Onkyo 2.1 HT system before it crapped out. Never really loved the sound, but it was a convenient AIO solution.

Earlier this year, I replaced them with a pair of Edifier R1280T near field bookshelf monitors:

They work really well for me since all of my consoles run to my TV, which I then output via the headphone jack to these. Same from my PC. The two inputs aren't discrete, so sounds from both sources can be heard at the same time. This actually works out pretty well, since I can just play music from my PC while playing anything on console, pause to watch a video without switching sources, etc.

They look nice enough, but more importantly, they sound really damn good IMO. I'm not an audiophile/expert, but grew up with speakers from Alesis, NHT, B&W/Solid, etc. and headphones from Sennheiser, AT, AKG, among others. For the money ($100 for the pair), I don't know if you can do much better. They've continued to sound even better and richer as they've broken in over the past few months too. I'm quite satisfied with them.

Last edited:

GreenMonkey

Oct 28, 2017
Michigan
I upgraded an old pair of Yamaha PC monitors from the 90s. Went with Audioengine HD3. I had a very specific use case, though. Wanted to plug in my Amazon Echo Dot, my chromecast audio for music, and my PC for better sound.

Wanted something that did sound from all sources simultaneously. Not many do more than one source at a time.

As a bonus they have BT but I don't use it since I have the chromecast.

PC -> USB
Echo dot -> 3.5 aux
Google chromecast - 3.5->RCA

So I can holler at Alexa to control the theater or Google to play music, and use for my PC. All at once. I was using a BT speaker before for the Dot/Google Home stuff.

Had to add a Ground Loop noise isolator as I was getting hum/feedback from the ground loop issues this was causing.

shark97

Banned
Nov 7, 2017
i have cheapo 10 or 20 dollar logitech stereo speakers, 5 watts RMS I believe. No audio hipster replies, but for a relatively cheap price (say under 50 dollars) can I do significantly better/louder/bassier? Without a dedicated subwoofer though, because I dont like a subwoofer near my feet kicking it and stuff and adding clutter...or maybe with because I could maybe fit it somewhere...

inspectah

Oct 28, 2017
Germany
Whatever you get, nearfield monitors are the best setup for a desk.
Studio equipment also has the best price/performance ratio!

XenIneX

Oct 28, 2017
Polk bookshelf speakers and a BIC Acoustec sub driven by a Denon home theater receiver. Largely selected on value-for-money grounds.

Duxxy3

Oct 27, 2017
USA
Athena AS-B1's powered by a Denon receiver. Bought them long ago and never replaced them.

edit: Also have a velodyne subwoofer.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I use headphones and the built in monitor speaker

On the real I hook up the hdmi to my str-dn1080 and load up the windows atmos app. I have 2 towers, sub, center and 2 bookshelf for surround, Sony core series. Pretty good budget speakers (don't pay msrp they frequently go on sale for ~50% off or more)

Oct 25, 2017
I'm using Logitech Z623 2.1 speakers. They're very good, but the subwoofer is a great way to annoy neighbors in an apartment complex if you don't turn down the bass (the right speaker has a knob for that).

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I use a pair of Presonus Eris E4.5 studio monitors. They sounds great. The Audioengine A2 and the A5 are also good picks.

Lkr

Oct 28, 2017
I use headphones and the built in monitor speaker

On the real I hook up the hdmi to my str-dn1080 and load up the windows atmos app. I have 2 towers, sub, center and 2 bookshelf for surround, Sony core series. Pretty good budget speakers (don't pay msrp they frequently go on sale for ~50% off or more)

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
Kef LS50's when I do not use headphones. Bass heavy is really not the way to go and a good pair of monitors will always be best.

kikuchiyo

Nov 9, 2017
Had a Sony soundbar I upgraded from and so I just hooked that to my computer. Probably will be cheaper than new dedicated computer speakers, and I hooked it up to the bottom of my desk. Works really well.

facepalm007

Oct 26, 2017
I use Vanatoo Transparent Zeros, they're definitely clean sounding, but not bass heavy, but you can hook up a dedicated sub for that if you wish.

MontlyCure

Oct 27, 2017
FL
I use a pair of Adam Audio T7Vs. My PC audio runs through my Line 6 Helix and it all sounds great to me.