• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 25, 2017
In the case of tablets, you really do get what you pay for. Get the base ipad for guaranteed performance, build quality, and support. Don't be like my dad who has cycled through 3 cheaper Android tablets in 4 years from a mix of shoddy hardware and abysmal update support. My mom has put her iPad 2012 through hell and it still works like day one.

Oct 27, 2017
Kindle Fire 10 and then install Google Play so you have access to all Android apps.

There's plenty of "how to" videos on YouTube, it's easy.

OP
OP
MrH

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I've decided to go for the iPad 6th gen, but as I fixed my Android tablet I'll wait until there's a sale, they're currently £280 which is a tad too much. I'm really looking forward to trying iOS for the first time ever.

Deleted member 4367

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My iPad air 2 is four years old and still very snappy.

Battery life is starting to get a little bit shorter but that's fairly expected.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Anyone recommending anything but iPad is wrong. There isn't even any competition, Apple is leaps and bounds better than anyone when it comes to this form factor. At the least 5 years ahead of anyone, maybe even more.

This comes from someone totally locked into the Google ecosystem.

OP
OP
MrH

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
Anyone recommending anything but iPad is wrong. There isn't even any competition, Apple is leaps and bounds better than anyone when it comes to this form factor. At the least 5 years ahead of anyone, maybe even more.

Honestly I'm quite excited to make the move, I've never even touch an iOS device. I only have about £50 invested into the Google store so it's no problem for me. My friends iPhone plays Hearthstone smoother than my tablet lol, and mine is like 3 years newer. The 2GB of RAM really worries me though, I know iOS is different to Android but I guess until I use it I can't get my head around 2GB being enough.

Ahhthe90s

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Honestly I'm quite excited to make the move, I've never even touch an iOS device. I only have about £50 invested into the Google store so it's no problem for me. My friends iPhone plays Hearthstone smoother than my tablet lol, and mine is like 3 years newer. The 2GB of RAM really worries me though, I know iOS is different to Android but I guess until I use it I can't get my head around 2GB being enough.
With IOS devices you don't have to track or worry about specs, think of the 2 GB on an IOS device as the equivalent of 6 GB on an Android device. It really doesn't matter at this point, the IOS devices are so well optimized and polished.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That's why you either get a cheap af Fire Tablet or an iPad, can't really go wrong with the 8" Fire HD for $50. I mean i spend more on drugs than $50.

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ

I have both an android tablet and an ipad, and I disagree. There are good android tablets out there, but it all depends on what you use it for.

Well if you're not buying one right away, you can see if the ipad gets updated in 2019. If so it would be worth waiting if it gets a spec bump. It would also give you time to save up.

With IOS devices you don't have to track or worry about specs, think of the 2 GB on an IOS device as the equivalent of 6 GB on an Android device. It really doesn't matter at this point, the IOS devices are so well optimized and polished.

Thats a bit of a stretch. No matter how efficient ios is with memory, it doesn't matter if one app is using all of it. It still has to swap stuff in and out of ram.

Oct 31, 2017
If your main interest is watching videos, I recommend the Fire HD10 as it's cheap, has a big screen and once you add the play store you can get all the video apps you need.

udllpn

Oct 28, 2017
I still use a Samsung Tab S2, and the S3 has been out for a while now. It may be too expensive, but it is one of the best Android tablets out there. Just in case you don't want to change ecosystems.

Dec 4, 2017
I have both an android tablet and an ipad, and I disagree. There are good android tablets out there, but it all depends on what you use it for.
I absolutely hate Apple and wish they had gone bankrupt back in the early '90s, but this is a stretch. The only two good Android tablets on the market at the moment are the Galaxy Tab S4 and the MediaPad M5 8''. And the Samsung is massively overpriced (performance-wise it's between the 2016 and 2017 iPad Pro, somewhat closer to the 2017), while the only reason the Huawei is competitive is because Apple took a giant dump on people who wanted a small iPad and kept that tired old piece of shit Mini 4 on the market.
Performance-wise, Apple's latest stuff just murders Android offerings.

OP
OP
MrH

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017

Well if you're not buying one right away, you can see if the ipad gets updated in 2019. If so it would be worth waiting if it gets a spec bump. It would also give you time to save up.

Thats a bit of a stretch. No matter how efficient ios is with memory, it doesn't matter if one app is using all of it. It still has to swap stuff in and out of ram.

Oh is that a possibily? I was under the impression the 6th gen just came out recently?

turbobrick

Oct 25, 2017
Phoenix, AZ
Oh is that a possibily? I was under the impression the 6th gen just came out recently?

I think it came out in march, so by early next year there could be a new model. Though I don't follow apple news, so I don't know for sure.

I absolutely hate Apple and wish they had gone bankrupt back in the early '90s, but this is a stretch. The only two good Android tablets on the market at the moment are the Galaxy Tab S4 and the MediaPad M5 8''. And the Samsung is massively overpriced (performance-wise it's between the 2016 and 2017 iPad Pro, somewhat closer to the 2017), while the only reason the Huawei is competitive is because Apple took a giant dump on people who wanted a small iPad and kept that tired old piece of shit Mini 4 on the market.
Performance-wise, Apple's latest stuff just murders Android offerings.

He'd only be getting the standard ipad though, not the pro. Because of that there are comparable android tablets out there that aren't too expensive. That's why I said it depends on what you use it for.
I bought my galaxy tab s2 at costco for less than $300, and I though it was good value for the money and it did everything I needed it to do. Only reason I'm still not using it is because I gave it to my dad to use.

I mean, I am using an ipad pro now, but I don't think the lower end android tablets are bad.

All that said, I would personally wait and see if there is an updated 2019 ipad and just buy that.

Last edited:
Dec 4, 2017
He'd only be getting the standard ipad though, not the pro. Because of that there are comparable android tablets out there that aren't too expensive. That's why I said it depends on what you use it for.
I bought my galaxy tab s2 at costco for less than $300, and I though it was good value for the money and it did everything I needed it to do. Only reason I'm still not using it is because I gave it to my dad to use.
If you're talking about the MediaPad M5 10'', yeah, that one is similar to - if not slightly better than - the current-gen non-Pro iPad (2018 iPad 6, which uses the iPhone 7 SoC). Its Kirin 960 SoC is weaker than the SD 835 in the Galaxy Tab S4, but the S4 is a lot more expensive.

The Tab S2 is really old, and the SoC in it is below the previous gen iPad (the 2017 iPad 5, using the iPhone 6S SoC).

Deleted member 4783

Oct 25, 2017
On tablets you have 2 options:
1. Apple iPad
2. Microsoft Surface (and alternatives)

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I need to upgrade my tablet, thinking of just getting a windows 2n1

AYZON

Oct 29, 2017
Germany
I used to have the Nvidia Shield k1 and in my opinion it was perfect, it didnt cost a lot, ran everything I wanted it to and it wasnt huge which to me is a plus. Also it had all that geforce stuff that I never got to actually try. lol
Sadly they stopped building them.

52club

Oct 27, 2017
Echoing lots of others, Android is bad on tablets. I say this as a big Android fan (owned each google phone back to the nexus 5). The exclusive software and the OS makes the iPad the better choice. If you want to save a few $ go with the previous gen ones.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
The Kindle Fire is garbage. Full of terrible Amazon bloatware. Its slow. And just not fun to use. The display is not great for comics.

The Samsung Tablets have insane AMOLED displays. Just stunningly beautiful. I'd get one of those.

Laserdisk

Banned
May 11, 2018
UK
I used to have the Nvidia Shield k1 and in my opinion it was perfect, it didnt cost a lot, ran everything I wanted it to and it wasnt huge which to me is a plus. Also it had all that geforce stuff that I never got to actually try. lol
Sadly they stopped building them.
I am posting on one now, it's weirdly slow in places and the battery isn't amazing but it's the best out there

BLEEN

Oct 27, 2017
Just get a good spec'd Android tablet that is supported by XDA and flash LineageOS. Thank me later.

I don't know how people use Android phones or tablets without custom recoveries, root, and a custom OS.

My Galaxy S3 and S4 were still getting updates for Oreo. Haven't checked with Pie 'cause I got a new phone for my bday. (Redmi Note 4x - beast)

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
I get that Android tablets are dead, but I don't understand the point of knocking them. My students use them in class and have benefited tremendously from them.

It's absolutely great that we have cheap machines with software that does what you need at a price basically anyone can afford. You're regularly able to buy a $30 computer new on Amazon's website. People who buy these machines know what they're getting, and Amazon isn't trying to make them worse. I can get 12 hours of battery life out of a Fire HD 8 I bought for $30 on Black Friday.

The iPad is better in every way, but it also assumes you're going to commit to using it in every way. If you use it in a typical tablet way, there's not $300 or 650 worth of value there.

Fruit&Nut

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Mar 16, 2018
I get that Android tablets are dead, but I don't understand the point of knocking them. My students use them in class and have benefited tremendously from them.

It's absolutely great that we have cheap machines with software that does what you need at a price basically anyone can afford. You're regularly able to buy a $30 computer new on Amazon's website. People who buy these machines know what they're getting, and Amazon isn't trying to make them worse. I can get 12 hours of battery life out of a Fire HD 8 I bought for $30 on Black Friday.

The iPad is better in every way, but it also assumes you're going to commit to using it in every way. If you use it in a typical tablet way, there's not $300 or 650 worth of value there.

Outside of the highend pro line, I think Galaxy Tabs are better than Ipads. If its just for regular mainstream use, the S3 and S4 is a gorgeous tablet. Fire HD is garbage though. Runs like ass, and I hate the interface.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Outside of the highend pro line, I think Galaxy Tabs are better than Ipads. If its just for regular mainstream use, the S3 and S4 is a gorgeous tablet. Fire HD is garbage though. Runs like ass, and I hate the interface.

That wasn't the argument I was trying to make though.

I remember when the Nexus 7 was first released for $200. This was the first one. For years, companies released Android tablets between $150 and $300 or more. In 2013 they released an update to this machine before the Nexus 7 line was discontinued.

Looking the Fire like "Why does it work like this?" when it's 1/8 the cost of the tablets you named is nuts. It's even cheaper than that during sales.

Fire HD 7 and 8 machines offer functional machines for basic media consumption, Amazon service usage, web browsing, educational usage, and even allow additional storage and customization if that was what you wanted. Of course they're slower and uglier, but they're not 400 dollars, and they're not getting more expensive.

kmfdmpig

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of Android Tablet hate ITT.
The apps are absolutely not on par with iOS, but for someone like me who uses a tablet for only the following I prefer Android quite a bit:
1) Watching videos (having an SD card slot rather than having to pay an arm and a leg for more memory is a big plus for media consuption).
2) Reading comics (see above regarding storage space)
3) Browsing the internet (no real advantage or disadvantage here).

If I were using my tablet for productivity apps, creative apps, or games then I'd be all in favor of an iPad (my wife has 3), but for what I use Android is preferable.

Gifted

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
As a die-hard Android phone user, get an iPad. You'll be more than fine with the latest base model and performance as well as software updates should be fine for years to come. Android tablets just aren't worth it these days, there's no real competition in the tablet space.

Lace

Oct 27, 2017
the iPad was $250 for a month. An amazing deal.
I picked one up for $220 during that random sale that happened around Christmas. I figure at that price it's worth grabbing to have a lazy day computer. If I don't like it iPads seem to hold their value so I won't be in a too big of a hole if I decide to sell it within a year.

breadtruck

Oct 27, 2017
As someone who has Android for everything, you should get an iPad. All Androids I've had turned to garbage over time.
This is true. The last legit android tablet I had is currently dedicated to the sole purpose of letting my kid watch baby shark on, lol. Its almost completely useless for anything else.

My old-ass kindle fire still is quick like a bunny though. I still use it every night to browse the net before bed.

tulpa

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Here is the issue: for most productivity tasks and the like, people are right in saying Android tablets are worse than the iPad. But for media consumption, actually, the best screens on any tablet are found in Samsung's Tab lineup, with proper HDR support, and an AMOLED panel that really is beautiful and shines at the larger sizes. It is a very significant improvement over the iPad's LCDs and I'm surprised Apple has never considered an OLED option for iPad.

Dec 4, 2017
The Asus Zenpad 3S 10 is the best value around for Android tablets.
It's over 2 years old right now, and the MediaTek SoC cannot receive updates above Nougat. I'd say best value for a full-size Android tablet is the MediaPad M5 10'', if you're not willing to pay the Samsung tax.

But for media consumption, actually, the best screens on any tablet are found in Samsung's Tab lineup, with proper HDR support, and an AMOLED panel that really is beautiful and shines at the larger sizes.
That is true, I put the 2017 10.5'' Pro and the Tab S4 one next to the other and the S4 did have better visuals.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I just bought my kid a huawei mediapad m3.

Screen is good.

Battery life is good.

Fingerprint scanner.

Dual speakers.

I like it.

squeakywheel

Oct 29, 2017
iPad 2018 (128GB) is seriously good value. I got my mom to buy one and it's perfect for her. But if you want to sideload anything, Android/ChromeOS makes it much much easier to do. Importing non-Apple formatted media is also a PITA with the iPad vs Android especially videos. It took me a while to explain to my mom how to use VLC and load video files that way (she needs it offline due to spotty internet). But if you're within the Apple ecosystem, nothing else is easier/more intuitive.

nature boy

Oct 25, 2017
One answer in Android world: Mi pad 4. Good SoC great battery life and custom ROMs available for the more curious.

And tablet Android isn't that bad that it requires a change to another ecosystem

reKon

Oct 25, 2017
I picked one up for $220 during that random sale that happened around Christmas. I figure at that price it's worth grabbing to have a lazy day computer. If I don't like it iPads seem to hold their value so I won't be in a too big of a hole if I decide to sell it within a year.

This too.

The reason I don't mind iPads is when I took a step back and thought about what I use it for mainly and what I expect for peformance from a device like this, it's a no-brainer.

If Samsung would stop fucking around with the S4 pricing and specs, I would have suggested looking into that because despite the pro motion display on my iPad Pro, I think the AMOLED + HDR on high end Samsung devices are fantastic for streaming. They shouldn't be charging something like that for SD835 + 4 GB of RAM.

OP
OP
MrH

MrH

Banned
Nov 3, 2017
I got my iPad 2018 today and it's awesome, so fast and slick and the screen is great. Hearthstone runs absolutely perfect, buttery smooth compared to my Android tablet with better specs that ran it far, far worse. I'm really missing my back button though, and I'm still struggling how to do everything on iOS but I'm really happy.

Stinkles

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
As someone who has Android for everything, you should get an iPad. All Androids I've had turned to garbage over time.

I have a galaxy tab and all I ever installed is Netflix and Amazon Prime video. It got slower and buggier over two years of doing nothing but streaming and now barely functions.

Updated.
Restarted.
Battery OK.

Perf: miserable

Ymmv

mangopositive

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I got an open box / missing earbuds Galaxy Tab S3 heavily discounted from Best Buy last summer. I'm a big fan. The screen is beautiful and the keyboard cover is fantastic. I'm just consuming media or playing on the internet with it. If I want to do something productive, I'll go to my PC. If I needed productivity or a large number of apps, I'd probably go with an iPad or a Surface.

Oct 27, 2017
I got my iPad 2018 today and it's awesome, so fast and slick and the screen is great. Hearthstone runs absolutely perfect, buttery smooth compared to my Android tablet with better specs that ran it far, far worse. I'm really missing my back button though, and I'm still struggling how to do everything on iOS but I'm really happy.

There are loads of great gestures in iPad iOS that will resolve stuff like that in time. As a total newcomer, it might be worth your while downloading Apple's iPad User Guide for iOS 12.1.1 (it has the new iPad Pro on the front but covers all of them) for free from the Books store. You absolutely won't need to read anything like the entire thing, but it has all of the relevant gestures etc.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I'm in the same possible as I've held on to my Samsung Tab S2 since day one. Sadly, it's not as fast nor does the battery last very long (in use) anymore. Sadly, the Android tablet scene has dried up. Lenovo is still making some cheap ones, as are a few other companies. The flagship Android tablets are either Samsung's S4 or the Google Slate and both are expensive, while the Slate is crap. For those prices, I could get either an iPad or a Surface.

However, I don't like how Windows is on the Surface as a tablet experience. And as much as I am not an Apple fan, my entire household is on Apple devices. My daughter and wife's Android tablets and phones are iPhones and iPads and my Son now has an iPad. I'm the only one still rocking Android and while I'll never go iPhone, I am enjoying the iPad experience a bit more than I want to.

The Huawei MediaPad M5 Pro is my next stop, otherwise, I don't know what I'll do.

Feb 15, 2018
I recently destroyed my 10" SM T815y through water damage which was my first tablet.

Thing was the absolute GOAT. Amazing resolution and you could continutally open tab after tab after tab in chrome without a hint of slowdown

I had over 200 tabs at one point and this baby would never slow down even one iota. All system apps would open without a hint of lag. I'm not even exagerrating

I didn't realise how amazing that tablet was until I got another which was also a Samsung but not in the same stratosphere of processing speed.

I can not recommend the sm-T815y enough

Last edited:

The Letter C

Alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2018
512804-samsung-galaxy-tab-s4-main.jpg

Really nice tablet the Galaxy tab s4. Love mine