• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

draculabyte

Video Game and Metal Mashup Shirt Design
Verified
Jun 20, 2019
I haven't bought a gaming PC since the 90's so I need a lot of help.

I would like to get a monitor with the best options for FPS and likely 4k with a high refresh rate as possible.

Seeing as how some cpu's work better with other things and vice versa I have no idea what to go for.

I do not really have a budget but don't want to waste money. I'd like to have something high end and efficient as well. I may stream a bit as well but we'll see on that.

Where to buy, what to buy and what works best for new games? Any other questions you guys need to ask me that is welcome.

Heysoos

Prophet of Truth
Nov 3, 2017
For monitor suggestions, the LG Ultragear 27GN950 is basically what you're after if you want 4K+144hz. There will probably be more options by next year but this is by far the best right now. It's constantly sold out though.

Deleted member 76797

Alt-Account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
I haven't bought a gaming PC since the 90's so I need a lot of help.

I would like to get a monitor with the best options for FPS and likely 4k with a high refresh rate as possible.

Seeing as how some cpu's work better with other things and vice versa I have no idea what to go for.

I do not really have a budget but don't want to waste money. I'd like to have something high end and efficient as well. I may stream a bit as well but we'll see on that.

Where to buy, what to buy and what works best for new games? Any other questions you guys need to ask me that is welcome.

this is a good place to start

i definitely recommend you get an nvidia rtx 300 series GPU but it's going to be really tough to find right now

as far as where to buy your parts, i personally love newegg but amazon and microcenter are good too. if you have a microcenter near you maybe just go in there and look at what they have.

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
For building your PC, check PC Part Picker and /r/buildapc. The gaming CPU to get right now is the Ryzen 5600x.

Component prices are pretty crazy currently because availability is super low. Make sure you don't pay much above MSRP for any of the parts you need. Just a heads up that 4K high-fps monitors are still pretty expensive, so many people go with 1440p IPS at 144hz.

Last edited:
OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Not much near my location so it will have to be online only. Is anything above 144hz worth it or doesn't matter?

Should it be amd or intel?

I'd like to get the 3090 if that is the best right now.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
For building your PC, check PC Part Picker and /r/buildapc.

Component prices are crazy night now because availability is super low. Make sure you don't pay much above MSRP for any of the parts you need.
And r/buildapcsales. Reading guides on what parts to buy and how to build is only one part, knowing when shit is on sale and when that sale should be skipped over is the other.

TheMadTitan

Oct 27, 2017
Not much near my location so it will have to be online only. Is anything above 144hz worth it or doesn't matter?

AMD and Intel is a give or take. AMD has better work performance if you're going to be doing video editing, rendering and shit, but Intel has better game performance. Not sure about actual workloads, but the difference in gaming performance is marginal enough to where your choice should be dependent on how often you think you're going to upgrade your processor and the featureset of a particular motherboard you happen to like.

Both AMD and Intel are at the end of their processor socket lifespans. If you buy the newest 5000 series processor from AMD, you can't use your motherboard if you decide to upgrade to a new processor in a few years. And if you get the current Intel, there's only one processor upgrade left, and that processor is set to release next month.

My opinion on monitors doesn't amount to much since I'm still on a 7 year old 1080p60 monitor. And I plan on moving to a 4k120 TV within the next year.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento

I'm sure 240 and 360 are just bananas smooth but 120 and 144 are easily the best bang for the buck improvement

And I'm not sure if we've even got 4K monitors above 144hz

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
Depending on how much you want to spend, prebuilt might weirdly be the way to go if you're hoping to score one of the new RTX 30XX cards.

For monitor suggestions, the LG Ultragear 27GN950 is basically what you're after if you want 4K+144hz. There will probably be more options by next year but this is by far the best right now. It's constantly sold out though.

I absolutely second this.

Kickfister

May 9, 2019
A 3090 is absurdly excessive. You'd be significantly better off buying a 3080 and upgrading to a 4080 whenever that comes out. The 3090 is paying a premium for a prosumer card, you don't need all that VRAM for gaming and the gains over the 3080 aren't nearly significant enough for the price increase.

inner-G

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
PNW
Get a 1440p high refresh instead of 4K

Still looks amazing, but you can save like 50% on a GPU. RTX 3090 is the only option if you really want 4K high refresh.

I use a 3440 x 1440 ultrawide at 160hz and it's amazing paired with a 3080.

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Yeah I guess I could go 3080 and get the newest later. I assume 3080 would be a little easier although still hard to get as well.

I'm trying to get whatever monitor will work best for FPS. Size of screen is also important so I assume 24 to 25 inch on that as well?

Dodongo

Oct 25, 2017
Your best bet for finding a 3080 is to sign up for a stock alert discord like ATR Stonks.

I got lucky and caught one during a Newegg drop.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
Yeah I guess I could go 3080 and get the newest later. I assume 3080 would be a little easier although still hard to get as well.

I'm trying to get whatever monitor will work best for FPS. Size of screen is also important so I assume 24 to 25 inch on that as well?

24 is pretty small for 4K, that's more 1080p territory. 27 is solid for 1440p and can be fine for 4K, but I've got a 32" 4K and it's basically perfect imo

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Are Lg's usually the one to go for? At 25 inch and 1440p?

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Can one of you guys link me to the best 25 inch monitor to buy right now? I honestly have no idea what to get. High price is fine, I need to buy it before Jan 1.

Need the most responsive set I can get.

I think my time and knowledge is a bit low to build a pc, but I'll likely go with the 3080 and an AMD I guess. 32 ram or 64?

Cal

Oct 28, 2017
LG 27GL850, it's 27 inch 1440p 144hz for about ÂŁ350 and is probably my favourite part of my build. 100% worth the money.

Should have said that's what I managed to get it for and imagine it's quite a bit harder to get it for that price these days.

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Asus TUF VG259QM 24.5" 16:9 Full HD 280Hz IPS Gaming Monitor

I went for this one for now from people who are playing the same games I want to play. They said the size helped them compared to 27.

I may opt for a second screen and higher resolution and larger screen as well.

JEH

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
I would go 1440p. 4K high refresh will be hard to achieve even with a rtx 30 series and dlss.

Amd Ryzen 5600x is probably best bang for buck cpu right now. Maybe go 5800x if you want the comfort of 8c/16t

Spoit

Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, as someone who bit the bullet and has a high refresh 4k, don't. Even the 3080 is just barely enough to run stuff at 4k60, so you're not really going to use the extra refresh rate anyway. The only real reason to go for a 4k right now is if your main use case is going to be work, where the extra resolution would actually aid productivity. For gaming, it's far better to just go 1440p

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
I am having an issue choosing a motherboard. Seems almost all of them have reviews with bios issues and other things. Sort of feel this is all over my head with trying to get it bought today.

Oct 25, 2017
Sacramento
I am having an issue choosing a motherboard. Seems almost all of them have reviews with bios issues and other things. Sort of feel this is all over my head with trying to get it bought today.

I'll defer to others in the thread on a mobo recommendation, I've not kept up on the "best". But, if you're not going to be chasing anything past a simple overclock (or just letting PBO do it's thing), a well reviewed B550 should take care of you well enough

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
I would seriously just check out something like iBuyPower right now since you can actually get a video card through them. Their prices aren't too bad either and Linus Tech Tips just did a whole video in custom build vendors where they faired fairly well.

Right now it's a pain to procure certain parts.

OP
OP
draculabyte

draculabyte

Verified
Jun 20, 2019
Looking at IbuyPower can get the ryzen 9, 3080 and all other needed parts. (Pre-Order) Price pops around 3200 though, should I go for it?

A few things I feel I should ask because I do not know the companies. Memory can also be 3600 speed but goes up in price about $90

32 GB [16 GB x2] DDR4-3200 Memory Module

Certified Major Brand Gaming Memory

G.SKILL Ripjaws V

Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO (RGB LED)

G.SKILL Trident Z (RGB LED)

And of course the motherboards

X570 CrossFire (Boards)

ASRock X570 PHANTOM GAMING 4 - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (8 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)

ASRock X570 Taichi - WiFi 6, ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 7 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)
+99

ASRock X570 PRO 4 - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 7 Type-A), M.2 Slot (3)

ASUS PRIME X570-P - ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

ASUS TUF GAMING X570-PLUS (WI-FI) - WiFi, ARGB Header (1), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

GIGABYTE X570 AORUS ELITE WIFI - WiFi , ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (6 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)
+27

GIGABYTE X570 GAMING X - ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (4 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

MSI MPG X570 GAMING PLUS - ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

MSI MPG X570 GAMING EDGE WIFI - WiFi, ARGB Header (2), USB 3.2 Ports (1 Type-C, 5 Type-A), M.2 Slot (2)

Doesn't seem to be a big price difference in these just not sure which to choose, all other options should be ok for cooling and such I assume.

StereoVSN

Nov 1, 2017
Eastern US
3200 should generally be ok, IMO. 3600 would be nice but it's not end of the world. You can probably get 3600 in a year for that $90. :P

On the boards, IMO, just look up reviews and see how many M.2 NVME drives, SATA connectors and USB connectors you want. Check out Hardware Unboxed and GamerNexus on Youtube for some good motherboard reviews.

Flappy Pannus

Feb 14, 2019
I mean if you gotta have it now you gotta have it, but tbh this is a particularly bad time to put together a PC in terms of value. Severe component shortages, 3080TI is around the corner - if you can wait a few months I would suggest that.

Definitely though, a 3090 has a horrible frame per $ ratio. It's a card thrown out there for a very, very niche segment and you'll be paying over double for its nearest equivalent with maybe 10% better performance.

Last edited: