• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Long story short, I showed my 7-year-old the minus world glitch in Super Mario Bros the other day and he thought it was the greatest thing ever. Now he's obsessed with glitch videos, but many of them seem to be patched out.

So the title says it all. Looking for simple glitches to pull off, primarily on Nintendo games (any era will do, but Switch would be preferable including the NES and SNES games provided on the online service).

Thanks!

tenor.gif

TimeFire

Avenger
Nov 26, 2017
Brazil
You could show him the BLJ in the infinite stairway in Mario 64, it's pretty easy to do, you just need to mash really hard.

Keep in mind the version of Mario 64 in the 3D Allstars Collection patched it out.

Last edited:

EggmaniMN

Banned
May 17, 2020
Learn to speedrun Strider for NES. It's extremely easy and the game is just a few minutes long when you know how to do the main trick. It was passed around at some GDQs for a while and everyone learned it in like 15-30 minutes (although these strats aren't optimal anymore or anything) and then you can just crank out a 5 minute run whenever and it's really funny. And then it was done as an actual tutorial on stage at a GDQ by one of the people who started the entire Anyone Can Strider Movement.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Here's a really easy/fast one that lets you move around the complete map of Link to the Past instead of using the doorways to stitch together the different portions

The basic gist of it (and this works in every version of LttP that I'm aware of even Switch Online SNES collection) if you save/quit when between levels i.e jumping down a ledge once you load back in and get hit once you'll drop underneath the level but won't hit a transition/death plane. The game just isn't sure where Link should be so he drops to the lowest level.

Then you can either walk around under the world, or walk right to the area that triggers the Triforce cutscene.

indask8

Oct 28, 2017
The Kennel glitch in Links Awakening is very easy to trigger :

EDIT : quick extra suggestion, messing with Metroid Nes password system.

Strandr

Oct 12, 2019
Another great one I just remembered is the Infinite Sword Glitch from Ocarina of Time (I like Zelda speedruns)

Another pretty simple trick of interrupting your crouch stab animation with interacting with something be in Navi, dialogue box, picking up a bomb. And your Sword will glow and will always be doing damage so you wan just walk into things and kill them. Very powerful on the Deku Stick which has the same damage value as the master sword and by not ever actually swinging it it means it will never break.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I showed my 7-year-old the minus world glitch in Super Mario Bros the other day and he thought it was the greatest thing ever.

just do the 2 hidden flutes in W1 in Mario 3 and go straight to the last world =P

edit:

Keep in mind the version of Mario 64 in the 3D Allstars Collection patched it out.

There are lots of easy glitches still, like cannonless and getting the chain chomp star with the bomb