• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
So I really adore FC, mostly because it's a slow paced RPG and while world building does place a role in it I'm more interested in the lightheartedness than the world building.

I've been looking looking at the original Grandia and the Lunar franchise to start.
Tried Suikoden but it doesn't seem what I'm looking for since it has a serious tone from the short of amount of time I've played.

Any recommendations?
Edit: So I have played games the other games in the Trails franchise and I none of the give me the same feeling like I got with FC.
The thing that I love about FC so much is that is that it just starts off "normal", no gotta save the world stuff from the start, it's light hearted at first and things don't start to get serious until the end, and this allows for the game to focus more on relationship and "seeing the forest for the trees" type of things like the chapter that had the school play. I don't really know how to describe it

Last edited:

chandoog

Oct 27, 2017
There's a bunch of Y's games on PC as well. Those are similar in aesthetic as well, I suppose.

NZerker12

Oct 25, 2017
Oh forgot to mention I've played SC.
The reasonw why I went with FC is because in terms of tone I feel that the game are different. FC is more slow and lighthearted and SC is more serious and has a more "villian of the week" for the first few chapters.

I recommend Trails of Cold Steel 1. Like FC the game is all about world building and introducing areas and characters.

Xagarath

Oct 28, 2017
North-East England
The Rune Factory games might qualify, although they obviously come with the farming stuff attached. Rune Factory 4's probably the best starting point.

I've not played them, but maybe the Atelier games?

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
If you find one let me know, FC is a pretty unique and special game in my eyes. I love how it's a small but deeply personal and emotional story, embedded in a much larger world.

Also I agree with the take that SC doesn't really capture everything that was special about FC, though it is good in its own way.

TeenageFBI

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Do you have a PC? Because a high-quality fan translation of Zero no Kiseki (the game following Trails the 3rd) is coming out in the next few days/weeks!

geofront.esterior.net

The Geofront

Fan Localization Hub

I'm honestly not sure how it compares to FC in tone.

And yeah, Trails of Cold Steel 1 is pretty close. It's more tropey than Trails in the Sky but I still like it.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
FC is my favorite of the 3 and I prefer it above the Cold Steel series as well. Partially for the same reasons as you and partially because the others introduce a lot of revisiting and backtracking and are a lot more shonen-y than FC.

I'd definitely recommend Grandia. It stays lighthearted for a big part of the game and focuses more on the characters and adventuring than on story progression than usual. Lunar gets serious a bit quicker, but it still stays lighthearted for a good while.

OldGamer

Jul 6, 2019
I hear ya OP. The style of game you mention is right up my alley as well. And Sky FC is indeed something quite special.

It's also hard to find one that fits the same mold. Character based with a slow burn. Not getting too serious too soon or go full blown parody or comedy (or just plain old weird). In addition, maintaining a narrative flow, rather than the role playing sandbox approach in the vein of Dragon Quest.

I may also second Skies of Arcadia, since it may also be similar in certain key aspects.

There are plenty I have not played yet so I'm sure there are others that may fit the bill

Laxoon

One Winged Slayer
Jan 24, 2018
I got really big Arc the Lad 2 vibes from trails fc, I'd recommend that heavily.

hans_castorp

Oct 27, 2017
Give Zero no kiseki a chance. It's the most similar game to FC, and one of the best kiseki games.

Also it's weird seeing so many people recommend Sen I.

SpoonyBob

Oct 27, 2017
Arkansas
I was going to suggest Suikoden since there's always people recommending Trails in the Sky to Suikoden fans, but you mention it's too different. I have to know why it's recommend in the first place then!

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
I'd definitely give Grandia 1 & the Lunar games a try. I feel like Trails FC is basically Suikoden meets Lunar so if you want a light-hearted adventure, go for Lunar/Grandia.

Horned Reaper

Nov 7, 2017
I was going to suggest Suikoden since there's always people recommending Trails in the Sky to Suikoden fans, but you mention it's too different. I have to know why it's recommend all the time then!
Probably because they both take place in a small part of a bigger world with a lot of events taking place elsewhere at the same time. They also both have multiple games taking place in the same world, and both focus on politics (though in a more serious grounded manner in Suikoden ). The approach and tone in Suikoden is a lot more serious and less shonen-ish which make them feel lot different in the end.

monapon

Nov 9, 2017
For lightheartedness you can't go wrong with Atelier games! They're just really cute and comfy all around with a lot of slice of life moments even when some of the stories turn a liiiiittle more serious towards the end.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
Play super mario rpg! It does get into "save the world" stuff pretty quickly, but not in a very urgent way, and it's a lovely game to just amble through

Chrno

Oct 25, 2017
have you played FF9?

it has that normal (although somewhat adventurous) -> eventually not so normal -> save the world type vibe.

OP
OP
Mozendo

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
The Atelier series should be right up your alley
I've been meaning to get into the series but I've been waiting for the Dusk Trilogy to get a remaster and now that it has just waiting for it to go on sale.

If you find one let me know, FC is a pretty unique and special game in my eyes. I love how it's a small but deeply personal and emotional story, embedded in a much larger world.
Dragon Quest V for me comes close, but still very different.

Or else there's always Growlanser: Wayfarer of Time on PSP/Vita
Can you tell me more about this? Never heard much of the franchise

Also played the Ys games, don't really agree with those being similar to FC at all.

Begaria

Oct 27, 2017
What you're looking for is Octopath Traveler. It's linear enough in its story telling, but with the freedom to tackle it in the way you want it to. The combat is amazing, as is the music and art. It does have its flaw in non-xp share, and the overarching story doesn't come together until post game.

But I feel it's what you're looking for.

OP
OP
Mozendo

Mozendo

Oct 25, 2017
Pacific North West
So what's the recommended version of Lunar to play?
I'm thinking of playing the Playstation version as I don't have a Sega Genesis with a Sega CD, although if that version is better I wouldn't mind waiting to play them until I have them.

And anyone known if Grandia 1 on PC or Switch lets you turn of the filter? If not I just might play on my Vita.

Łazy

Nov 1, 2017
Radiata Stories.
Radiata Stories-01-Opening.Still035.png

Last edited:

Lanaka

May 11, 2018
So what's the recommended version of Lunar to play?
I'm thinking of playing the Playstation version as I don't have a Sega Genesis with a Sega CD, although if that version is better I wouldn't mind waiting to play them until I have them.

And anyone known if Grandia 1 on PC or Switch lets you turn of the filter? If not I just might play on my Vita.

For Lunar 1, the Sega CD version is what many people who have played that one prefer, due to some changes (some times massive) to the narrative, but the overall story is the same. I would argue that the PS1 version is more accessible, all things considered, as it's a lot less 16-bit RPG-like in it's approach. If those kinds of concessions don't bother you, then go for it, but if you find it hard to go back to older RPGs, you may want to pick up the PS1 version instead.

Lunar 2, for the most part, is much the same game either way. There were very little changes made to the narrative in the remake, and what they did change, is often considered for the better, or at least in my experience anyways. Again, the PS1 version would probably be a bit more accessible, as it doesn't penalize you for saving like the Sega CD version does, though, admittedly, it really isn't a big deal as you get further into the game.

I can't speak to Grandia, as I have not played any version of them yet.