• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know they shut down people selling custom faceplates, but I figured we'd still be able to find the files to print our own out. I cannot find it anywhere. Anyone have a lead?

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
It is surprising that Aliexpress is not selling them yet, I really want to remove the originals, white plastic age like milk when exposed to air and light.

Argentil

Oct 27, 2017
It is surprising that Aliexpress is not selling them yet, I really want to remove the originals, white plastic age like milk when exposed to air and light.
There have been a ton of great DIY projects. It's apparently very easy to paint them.

If you're just put off by the white, pull off the suckers and spray them black. They take really well to paint.

Last edited:

Bucéfalo

Banned
May 29, 2020
There have been a ton of great DIY projects. It's apparently very easy to paint them.

If you're just put off by the white, pull off this suckers and spray them black. They take really well to paint.

I actually love the whites, but I would like to remove and store the originals in the box for preservation. I would like to use third party white plates, since I wouldn't care for the non official plates getting yellow or washed out, or if they eventually break.

Midas

Oct 27, 2017
Can't wait to see how bad these will look, when someone prints them with a 3D printer.

Kotze282

Oct 27, 2017
I actually love the whites, but I would like to remove and store the originals in the box for preservation. I would like to use third party white plates, since I wouldn't care for the non official plates getting yellow or washed out, or if they eventually break.

It's a console, not a historical artifact.

Has anyone seen differently shaped plates yet?

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
It's a console, not a historical artifact.

Has anyone seen differently shaped plates yet?
I'd like a base plate print to modify. My plan is to create some unique ones, different shapes etc.

Just was hoping to have a starting point instead of needing to do it all from scratch.

CosmicGP

Oct 28, 2017
I know nothing about 3d printing, but would it work for faceplates? I would think they need to have a certain level of flex to them and I can picture the 3D printed one delaminating soon as you bend it too much.

artsi

Oct 26, 2017
Finland
Regarding materials remember that the faceplates attach very tightly and they need to flex some amount.

OP
OP
Aztechnology

Aztechnology

Community Resettler
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I know nothing about 3d printing, but would it work for faceplates? I would think they need to have a certain level of flex to them and I can picture the 3D printed one delaminating soon as you bend it too much.
There are many different types of plastics to use for 3D printing. You can definitely print parts with flex.

Azurik

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 5, 2017
Will be only a matter of time before the custom faceplates are being sold.

I would love some custom honeycomb ones like most mice these days

Lemony1984

Jul 7, 2020
I hope someone prints some that let you just put it flat horizontally without that stand. I'd buy those in an instant.

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
I don't think it'll be long before we see replacement plates on eBay and the like. It's one thing for Sony to plug the hole on some upstart UK company. But they're not going to be able to plug those holes once hundreds of chinese sellers starts recasting. And I don't see that taking much longer really. It doesn't take long at all for stuff like Apple watch bands to be retro engineered and sold for about 30x less than RRP. So it'll happen at some point.

Nateo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm hoping we get some more compact looking ones. None of this popped collar shit . Also something with holes I guess since the system runs hotter with the plates on.

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
You guys realize tha the shape is part of the airflow too right?

Can't wait to see people brick their console because they ran it without the plates or with custom shaped ones.

Malkier

Oct 25, 2017

Can't wait to see people brick their console because they ran it without the plates or with custom shaped ones.

Thought the ps5 ran 5 degrees celsius cooler with the plates off? What's with this plates help the airflow nonsense?

Ultima_5

Oct 25, 2017

Without a plate would only improve airflow. It would be fully open instead of channeling the air around the console