• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
I'm having a bunch of wisdom teeth surgically removed and will be stuck on the couch for the next few days due to heavy meds. Looking for something to sink my few remaining teeth into, preferably an MMORPG of sorts with lots of content.

Ideally something I can play with a controller and on my PC for acceptable framerates and image quality.

Some wants/needs

- Controller support (preferable, but not mandatory)
- Decent to great graphics
- Well written story or quests
- PvE focused
- Good loot/sense of progression
- Ideally a "real time" battle system, but not a must (Not a fan of WoW combat)
- Sense of exploration and wonder
- Preferably solo-able. I mostly solo, but it's nice seeing other players around.

I guess MMORPGs are few and far between these days, but I'm open for alternatives. Warframe is out because it's just so fucking confusing.

DJ_Lae

Oct 27, 2017
Edmonton
Your bullets all pretty much describe Elder Scrolls Online, which I would recommend. Unlike most MMOs it handles the stories and quests well and is fully voiced.

Progression is maybe its weakest aspect, but you still gain and improve loot and unlock skills and I found the level scaling to be great as you can do whatever you want in any order. And its combat is also very much real-time.

You can also solo everything (well, almost). I've spent ~400 hours in it and don't have a soul on my friends list.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly sounds like you want Warframe.

You can join my discord community for it if you want . Guides pinned, lots of 1000+ hours folks playing with newbies and answering questions.

Start of warframe is just to unlock all the planets to gain access to the whole set of areas. Then at around hour 20-25 the meaty story with cut scenes begins.

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019
ESO. If you're on Xbox I've never really been able to play w friends so I'm down to play

Pyro

God help us the mods are making weekend threads
Jul 30, 2018
United States
I would say FFXIV but since you don't like that combat I'll go with ESO.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
FF XIV doesn't really reward exploration, so that's a big knock off. The combat is also very much like WoW. It's great in all other respects, though.

I haven't played ESO, but I'd probably stick with that recommendation given your wants.

OP
OP
Truant

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
FFXIV is the one I'm looking at right now, but I'm not a fan of how the world is so walled off. I played the trial a few years ago and enjoyed the opening levels, though.

Not sure if I want to play another Elder Scrolls game right now, in terms of going with ESO.

And Warframe looks awesome, I played it for 10 hours last year but never felt I was playing it right.

exodus

Oct 25, 2017
Play FF XIV if you want a few hundred hours of story content. The first 100 are so-so until you reach the first expansion and then it really takes off. That's a big commitment though.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
More than a decade ago (sigh...it
'S been so long), I would recommend Guild Wars 1.

Today I recommend ESO!

Nemesis121

Nov 3, 2017
Guild Wars 2 is free to play, can play the entire base game for free.
GW2 has no monthly subs, it's buy to play, if you purchase, all the game's features will unlock, extra character slots, login reward system, etc..
Horizontal leveling system, most MMOs are vertical, if it took 1 hour to go from level 2-3 it will take 1 hour to level from 79-80(80 is max)
No fetch quest system, no pointless running back and forth, quests are active on the map, you can complete a quest and never visit the NPC..
Dynamic event system, you can join an event that some times lead to a major world boss, even on the starter map(not all starter maps have world boss)
Story has branching paths, during character creation they will ask some questions, for example, your worst regret? depending on your choice it will change some of your story, then you have actual choices to make during the story..
5 races to choose from each with their own unique personal story that revolves around that race for the first 30 levels, once you pass level 30 the story for each race is more focused on the big bad but still have choices to make.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly OP you're not playing Warframe wrong. It's just a game where if you have a question - ask or look it up online.

Basic goal is :
Unlock all planets access
Level new weapons and warframes
Do story once you get access
Grind

There is a nice well done grind here . The terminology and equipment etc can seem confusing but unless you're failing missions or no longer can access new things to do- don't sweat it.

It's not a game where you can ever screw something up . No stats you lock into or anything .

sgurschick

Banned
Jul 7, 2019
OP. Black Desert Online, for all its pay for convenience features, is one of the better MMORPGs out there.

There is a lot of justified distaste it gets for its end game grind. However it doesn't seem like you have an intent to put months/years into an MMO anyway. So end game frind doesn't affect you.

Action combat system. Main story is light and fairly enjoyable. Can be completed in a weekend. BDO has the best solo content of any MMO. Hunting, fishing, sailing, cooking, alchemy, farming.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
Yep. The OP is basically a list of ESO's features.
I think the main issue, and my issue, is the combat bullet point

ESO very much feels like Guild Wars 2 from a first/third person perspective... so Hellgate London. You have some mobility, but it still is mostly about playing that piano and getting locked in to animations for your funkier stuff.

If you can get past that it seems amazing. I keep bouncing off after an hour or so when I realize I hate everything about combat.

OP
OP
Truant

Truant

Oct 28, 2017
OP. Black Desert Online, for all its pay for convenience features, is one of the better MMORPGs out there.

There is a lot of justified distaste it gets for its end game grind. However it doesn't seem like you have an intent to put months/years into an MMO anyway. So end game frind doesn't affect you.

Action combat system. Main story is light and fairly enjoyable. Can be completed in a weekend. BDO has the best solo content of any MMO. Hunting, fishing, sailing, cooking, alchemy, farming.

I thought this was very MMO focused?

Anyway I bought FFXIV for cheap and I'm downloading now. ESO looks good, but I'm so familiar with the ES world that there's no real mystery to me there. I've never fucked with FF before so the world and setting at least has something to discover.

I will get into Warframe once the new engine launches, hopefully. There's just something about the different frames being classes that holds me back, I think. It feels like the game wants you to try all the frames, but I like investing in a class/character and live that role in the game. It's a weird thing, but the lack of attachment to my character is a big red flag for me.

Darkstorne

Oct 26, 2017
England

Anyway I bought FFXIV for cheap and I'm downloading now. ESO looks good, but I'm so familiar with the ES world that there's no real mystery to me there. I've never fucked with FF before so the world and setting at least has something to discover.

I will get into Warframe once the new engine launches, hopefully. There's just something about the different frames being classes that holds me back, I think. It feels like the game wants you to try all the frames, but I like investing in a class/character and live that role in the game. It's a weird thing, but the lack of attachment to my character is a big red flag for me.
Good luck with FF14! The story content is amazing. If you get frustrated with the WoW-like combat, do look into ESO though. No subscription required, and while you may be familiar with the provinces of Skyrim, Cyrodiil, and Vvardenfell from the single player games, ESO goes places the single player games haven't been since Arena/Daggerfall (High Rock, Hammerfell, mainland Morrowind, Summerset Isles, Valenwood, Elsweyr, Blackmarsh). There's a lot to explore, with a heavy emphasis on rewarding exploration and allowing you to go anywhere at any level, with full voice acting, and action combat like you wanted.

northnorth

Dec 4, 2017

You won't be disappointed in FFXIV. I just hit 39 and it's truly one of the best games I've ever played. Haven't even touched an expansion yet.

Keasar

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Umeå, Sweden
Personally, I was quite hooked on the early game of FFXIV which made me wanna play it more, and before I knew it I had sunk dozens of hours into the game. While the story can at times drag quite a bit, the world of Eorzea is an absolutely wonderful place I cannot recommend enough to experience. So good that I have bought multiple Encyclopedia and art books of FFXIV. And once you start to hit the expansion content, the story of FFXIV is absolutely top class.

I don't think you've made a bad choice at all.

Forerunner

Resetufologist
The Fallen
Oct 30, 2017
Based on your points I'd say Guild Wars 2. The base game is also free to play and there is no sub, so I'd check it out. Furthermore, it plays well with a controller.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Honestly sounds like you want Warframe.

You can join my discord community for it if you want . Guides pinned, lots of 1000+ hours folks playing with newbies and answering questions.

Start of warframe is just to unlock all the planets to gain access to the whole set of areas. Then at around hour 20-25 the meaty story with cut scenes begins.

It's nice that you get to plug your discord community, but perhaps people should be made aware that we have communities in the gaming hangouts dedicated to warframe. They're split by platform.

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Outside of combat you might like the Secret World.

IvorB

Oct 28, 2017

There is a free trial for FF XIV. You don't need to buy it to try it.

I don't know why people are recommending ESO which does not have any sense of progression really with the aggressive enemy scaling.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

I'm aware but I'm not growing resetera lol. I'm growing mine and love warframe and other games too. It isn't just a warframe hub. All of those are available to pick from but I'm going to push the one I'm invested in the most to help out new players.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
I'm aware but I'm not growing resetera lol. I'm growing mine and love warframe and other games too. It isn't just a warframe hub. All of those are available to pick from but I'm going to push the one I'm invested in the most to help out new players.

Yeah I mean why grow the resetera community when you can just abuse it to redirect users to your own community.

So blatant.

Mr.Deadshot

Oct 27, 2017
The obvious answer with the new Addon and the hype behind it just released.
Another - maybe even better pick regarding ops list because it's not "Wow-like"-combat and story is 100% solo-able - good pick would be The Elder Scrolls Online. It plays very well with a controller on PS4 at least. I don't know if you can mimic that on PC though.

super-famicom

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
If you want a pseudo-MMO, check out Cross Code. It's strictly a single player RPG, but designed as you playing an MMO in game. There's tons of content, NPCs to interact with, and great puzzles in the dungeons.

Deleted member 42472

User requested account closure
Banned
Apr 21, 2018
What does that mean?

Playing long sequences of keys in a specific rhythm so as to trigger your abilities in an optimal order.

If you want a pseudo-MMO, check out Cross Code. It's strictly a single player RPG, but designed as you playing an MMO in game. There's tons of content, NPCs to interact with, and great puzzles in the dungeons.

Played a bit of that on PC. Absolutely loved it, but it is truly a switch game in my mind as I just want to veg out and relive my Everquest days. Looking forward to the switch release.

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yeah I mean why grow the resetera community when you can just abuse it to redirect users to your own community.

So blatant.

Redirect yourself to fuck off. :)

The community here is great, prospering , and a great resource for many for a variety of reasons.

I'm a bad guy because I have a discord community focused on warframe that welcomes new players and helps them get into the game ?

Please explain to me why that's bad? I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head that they should or it's better or even running rampant promoting it. Just one post and all of the sudden I'm an evil man by your metrics.

If YOURE a part of Eras warframe community then shit maybe I should go promoting my discord more to get people away from assholes like you . :/

Jun 4, 2019
Destiny 2. The game you're describing is Destiny 2. FFXIV is probably too WoW for you (as it was for me). Warframe and Division 2 are cheeks.

Bitmap Frogs

Banned
Sep 16, 2018
Redirect yourself to fuck off. :)

The community here is great, prospering , and a great resource for many for a variety of reasons.

I'm a bad guy because I have a discord community focused on warframe that welcomes new players and helps them get into the game ?

Please explain to me why that's bad? I'm not putting a gun to anyone's head that they should or it's better or even running rampant promoting it. Just one post and all of the sudden I'm an evil man by your metrics.

If YOURE a part of Eras warframe community then shit maybe I should go promoting my discord more to get people away from assholes like you . :/

Nice insults you're throwing around. Guess it must've hurt that your shameless self promotion is being called out.

You said yourself earlier that you are aware of Resetera's warframe communities and are chosing to ignore them to pimp out your personal discord. I don't like that.

Last edited:

Arsic

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (A week): Needlessly hostile, personal attack in a series of posts in this thread. Accumulated infractions.
Nice insults you're throwing around. Guess it must've hurt that your shameless self promotion is being called out.

You said yourself earlier that you are aware of Resetera's warframe communities and are chosing to ignore them to pimp out your personal discord. I don't like that.

You deserve a lot more insults because you act like a prick. You didn't hurt shit — I just don't see why you acting like a clown shoe should get ignored.

You know what I don't like ? People like you. Self centered assholes who spark up internet drama because they have no life.

Get one you may find picking up e drama to be a waste of time like the rest of us.