• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Will try to keep this short but end my employment with my employer today to start a new job on Monday. I tried to work out a time to Drop off my equipment and asked to pick up final pay when I did and was told no. I asked for text/email to verify I would receive my final check(had issues with checks being mailed out before with them as they don't do direct deposit, small business).

Anyway the owner didn't like my request and said you can talk to my lawyer now. I have the whole conversation in my phone and offered six different times to set up a meet up time.

Ive never had an issue like this in my life. I would think his lawyer would be a mediator here but could I expect worse? As stated above I don't want be the laptop and phone and I'm trying to give it back and wait on final pay(although I worry about getting it especially now) but shouldn't I be able to just tell that to the lawyer and work through him to drop it off?

Sorry for my lack of knowledge on this subject but I'm worried they could try to sue me, make me pay lawyer fees or damage my new employment and again I'm trying to give everything back.

Any legal advice especially from someone in that field or that has dealt with something similar would be great.

Oct 26, 2017
Re-reading your stuff now...All I can advise is make sure you have everything documented and saved. Worst case scenario: he tries to claim you wouldn't return equipment or that you did and it was broken. Everything you can do to prove otherwise will work to your benefit.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
ITs a small company About 50 employees. He is the owner and no HR dept.

S
Do you have a former co-worker that you worked with that you really trust to give them the equipment so they can deliver it? Then you have someone else that can vouch for you as well. I'd also record a video of you booting that laptop up before you hand it over just in case.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Do you have a former co-worker that you worked with that you really trust to give them the equipment so they can deliver it? Then you have someone else that can vouch for you as well. I'd also record a video of you booting that laptop up before you hand it over just in case.

Thanks will do and I have someone I can return equipment to but the owner instructed them not to talk to me...really throwing a fit.

My main worry is what legal action could happen to me

Oct 26, 2017
Thanks will do and I have someone I can return equipment to but the owner instructed them not to talk to me...really throwing a fit.

My main worry is what legal action could happen to me
Are you located in the United States? If so, there are laws in place so he can't (legally) withhold that last paycheck. Legally, it sounds like he has a whole lot of jack shit against you, and is probably just puffing his chest. The only thing is that you have equipment, and if you have proof that you're trying to return it and he isn't responding to it....He really has nothing on you it sounds like.

Here is a guide to how soon he has to send that paycheck by State.

Last edited:

gdt

Oct 26, 2017
Nothing will happen to you. Great advice has already been posted.

This lawyer is gonna ring your ex bosses neck for being an idiot.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Your first move should've been to call the lawyer and set up a time to give them the equipment and get your check.

Oct 26, 2017
Your first move should've been to call the lawyer and set up a time to give them the equipment and get your check.
This is a good point too. When I read, "you can talk to my lawyer," I just assumed he was saying that to be an asshole and didn't figure OP would follow up on it, but the simplest answer is probably the best one---tell your boss okay and to send you that lawyer's information.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks for the advice. I'm from Pennsylvania. Just want this situation to over with so makes me feel a little better to hear others saying I should be ok as I'm trying to give the stuff back and just get paid.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017

Wasn't sure if I could reach out to the lawyer directly or I had to wait for them to reach out. I would do that in heartbeat. This all happens today and he gave me the gentleman's name so I will reach out Monday then. I figured be would just be acting a middle person here's but when my former boss said good luck I thought he might be trying to do more to me enough I have proof via text I'm trying to return everything.

Ra

Rap Genius
Oct 27, 2017
Dark Space
Wasn't sure if I could reach out to the lawyer directly or I had to wait for them to reach out. I would do that in heartbeat. This all happens today and he gave me the gentleman's name so I will reach out Monday then. I figured be would just be acting a middle person here's but when my former boss said good luck I thought he might be trying to do more to me enough I have proof via text I'm trying to return everything.
A lawyer is going to do a lawyers job, keep their client from breaking any laws and out of trouble. He owes you a check, legally. The lawyer will make sure you get it, with the bonus of accepting the equipment and documenting that it is in good shape.

I understand your worry, but don't expect this person to be a lawyer straight out of a crime drama.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Your boss is an unprofessional moron, but the lawyer is paid to ensure your boss doesn't get himself into trouble.

Call the lawyer. You'll be fine.

Also, surrender the equipment, even if -- for some strange reason -- they don't pay you. I assure you that they'll pay you in the end.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
A lawyer is going to do a lawyers job, keep their client from breaking any laws and out of trouble. He owes you a check, legally. The lawyer will make sure you get it, with the bonus of accepting the equipment and documenting that it is in good shape.

I understand your worry, but don't expect this person to be a lawyer straight out of a crime drama.

Thanks for the info. Will certainly reach out to him.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Your boss is an unprofessional moron, but the lawyer is paid to ensure your boss doesn't get himself into trouble.

Call the lawyer. You'll be fine.

Also, surrender the equipment, even if -- for some strange reason -- they don't pay you. I assure you that they'll pay you in the end.

Thanks will do. There is no way I would be liable for any of the lawyers fees for facilitating everything would I?

Froyo Love

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Thanks will do. There is no way I would be liable for any of the lawyers fees for facilitating everything would I?
No. Whoever your former boss appoints as their agent to handle things, that's their business. Your business is getting paid the wages you're owed by your scheduled payday, as is their legal obligation.

If their lawyer is actually involved, things will likely resolve swiftly. Pennsylvania law says that if they fail to pay you within 30 days of when it's due, you're entitled to an additional $500 minimum as a penalty.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Nope. The lawyer doesn't work for you.
Thanks and last question. Since I'm trying to return everything and will contact the lawyer on Monday. I'm assuming there is no legal action or suit he can try to bring against me here correct?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure this something I can hopefully put behind me soon and have no future issues especially with my you need job starting next week.

Pedrito

Nov 4, 2017
Thanks and last question. Since I'm trying to return everything and will contact the lawyer on Monday. I'm assuming there is no legal action or suit he can try to bring against me here correct?

Sorry for all the questions just want to make sure this something I can hopefully put behind me soon and have no future issues especially with my you need job starting next week.

Why would they sue you? Because you kept the computer an extra weekend?

De Minimis Non Curat Lex : The law does not concern itself with trifles

JackSwift

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Meet the lawyer, give back the equipment, ask for your pay. That's it.

If they don't pay you in time, they owe you more. That's the law.

Edit: Unless of course there's more to the story you're not telling us. Like why you're leaving the job, non-compete clause, etc. We don't know the whole story here.

OP
OP
blazenumb1

blazenumb1

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Meet the lawyer, give back the equipment, ask for your pay. That's it.

If they don't pay you in time, they owe you more. That's the law.

Edit: Unless of course there's more to the story you're not telling us. Like why you're leaving the job, non-compete clause, etc. We don't know the whole story here.

Nope. Nothing extra no non compete and it's not a competing company or even the same field either