• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
As the topic says, I'm in desperate need of an HDMI switch. My TV has 3; two are taken up with my Dish receiver & ARC for my soundbar. I'm looking for preferably a 5x1 switch, but could get away with a 4x1. It'll be primarily driving my Switch, Series X, and PS5. I'd like to have one slot for my PC, and another for my retro consoles when I hook them up to my main TV.

I need the switch to support 4K, HDR, and 60 FPS. I'd prefer something that auto detects, but it doesn't have to. I have a 3x1 Monoprice one that's been decent, but it will get "stuck" on an input and that requires me to have to unplug it and plug it back in, so I'd like to not have to do that. And I'd like to try to spend < $75 if I can.

Hoping some folks can chime in with experience on this.

shadowhaxor

EIC of Theouterhaven
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Claymont, Delaware
I've used a number of HDMI switches and more recently, matrixes. Luckily, there are several on the market that will do what you want, and at that price point. However, I recommend the Ezcooltech line of devices. Mainly because that's what I've used and had success with them. The only reason I went with a matrix was due to my set-up; I have one output going to my TV/Consoles and the other to my PC for recording/streaming. Add a splitter to switch can yield bad results, so a matrix was the better idea.

For you-> https://amzn.to/34PTFzD
Amazon.com: HDMI Switch 4x1 4K 60Hz 4:4:4 HDR 18Gbps CEC Audio Breakout - SPDIF 5.1CH Stereo 2.1CH, Switch Memory, IR Remote, HDMI Auto Switch 4 in 1 Out HDMI 2.0 HDCP2.2, Firmware Upgrade EDID API SW41HA: Computers & Accessories

You won't be disappointed.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
This one has everything you need without fake buttons on the remote that do nothing:

Keep in mind, "auto-switching" works by detecting when the HDMI signal goes live.
I'm not sure about the Series X, but the One S ALWAYS has the HDMI signal active in rest mode.

Because of how simple that logic works, ALL auto-switching HDMI only works correctly as long as there's a maximum of ONE "Always On" HDMI device connected. Otherwise, you end up with it 'resting' on one of the two active ones and it just has to guess which one that is.

The PS3 is another one that's "Always On". The PS4 and PS5 don't seem to be.

Last edited:

Version 3.0

Oct 27, 2017
I'll second the EZcoo line. I have a couple and they work well. That's a 4x1 that shadowhaxor has linked above for you. If you have any reason to want a 2nd output, go for the 4x2 instead. I love the features of the 2nd output:

- I have all my consoles and PC outputtting to 2 TVs, one 4k and one 1080p. The switch downconverts the 4k signals perfectly to the 2nd TV.
- the 2nd output is not a mirror of the 1st, but independently selectable. I often play a game while my wife uses the PC to watch something.

I'm also currently using this one:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B07ZTWGBHL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

as I really need an 8x2, but I've never seen one, so I just stack these. This Orei one is virtually identical to the EZcoo, works beautifully.

LuckPuck

Dec 6, 2020
Do HDMI 2.1 switches exist at a reasonable price yet? I'm getting really annoyed swapping the HDMI cable for my PS5 and XSX, what with the short cable and flimsy stand on the PS5.

Jul 1, 2020
The last time I was in this situation I just ended up buying an AV Receiver due to every HDMI switch that had more than 5 ports being basically the same cost and incredibly flaky auto switching with my existing switch. It may be worth looking into if you don't need HDMI 2.1 features like variable refresh rate and 4K@120hz.

TheChrisGlass

Oct 25, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
Do HDMI 2.1 switches exist at a reasonable price yet? I'm getting really annoyed swapping the HDMI cable for my PS5 and XSX, what with the short cable and flimsy stand on the PS5.
I have yet to see one that exists. It's a big reason I avoided the Q90T because of only one HDMI 2.1 port, meaning it would RELY on a currently-not-existing switch to be useful in the future.

killa2max

May 17, 2018
Seattle, WA
Last I checked (about a month ago), there are no HDMI 2.1 switches on the market (at least for consumers). Hell, even the HDMI 2.1 receivers aren't fully functional because of a buggy chipset that cannot be resolved by a firmware update.

LuckPuck

Dec 6, 2020
Thanks for the replies everyone.

I'll probably grab one of the switches recommended in this thread for now. To be fair, I've yet to play a game at 4K/120fps so a regular switch should be sufficient for the time being.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Are there any that don't have auto-switching? I have a Harmony Hub and I don't need the feature.

My current one used to work with Harmony, but stopped and I'm not sure why.

Aswitch

"This guy are sick"
Nov 27, 2017
Los Angeles, CA
As the topic says, I'm in desperate need of an HDMI switch. My TV has 3; two are taken up with my Dish receiver & ARC for my soundbar. I'm looking for preferably a 5x1 switch, but could get away with a 4x1. It'll be primarily driving my Switch, Series X, and PS5. I'd like to have one slot for my PC, and another for my retro consoles when I hook them up to my main TV.

I need the switch to support 4K, HDR, and 60 FPS. I'd prefer something that auto detects, but it doesn't have to. I have a 3x1 Monoprice one that's been decent, but it will get "stuck" on an input and that requires me to have to unplug it and plug it back in, so I'd like to not have to do that. And I'd like to try to spend < $75 if I can.

Hoping some folks can chime in with experience on this.
Sounds like you have autoswitching(or power detect switching) turned on your current switch. There should be a way to turn it off generally, but possibly may not be.

pg2g

Dec 18, 2018
I am crossing my fingers for some new development on HDMI 2.1 switches and receivers at CES this year.