• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth
Hopefully this is the right section to post as these are needed for PS4 and hopefully also working with XBox One S.

Niece wants headphones for her birthday. She is 10 and I'm not breaking the bank of course, but I want something good for her online gaming so it requires a mic of course.

As the community with the best gamers on the planet, what are my best options here?

Pikagreg

Feb 5, 2018
I love my hyperx cloud II's. Got them a few years ago and they are still going strong. You can find manufacturer refurbished ones on eBay for like $55

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I think the Arctis 1 are your best bet, they should work on both Xbox & PS4

steelseries.com

Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox

The Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox uses first-of-its-kind USB-C technology to connect to Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Android and PC, to provide unmatched connectivity across all gaming platforms.

pixeldreams

Oct 27, 2017

steelseries.com

The Arctis 1 Wireless for Xbox uses first-of-its-kind USB-C technology to connect to Xbox, Nintendo Switch, Android and PC, to provide unmatched connectivity across all gaming platforms.
Was gonna suggest these as I use them now on PS4 and Switch, you can save $20 if you get the wired version.

OP
OP
Euphoria

Euphoria

Oct 25, 2017
Earth

steelseries.com

These look really good, but for PS4 I will require the wire right? It seems it uses a dongle for wireless and the site isn't making mention of PS4 until it talks about the wire option.

Thanks.

Edit - Nvm, at the bottom of the site it says under PS4 (usb wireless). These should be perfect then.

Kukawaki

Oct 29, 2017
Get a pair of Philips SHP9500's and a vmoda boompro mic.

EDIT: ok, that's probably overkill for a 10 year old.

Sande

Oct 25, 2017
These look really good, but for PS4 I will require the wire right? It seems it uses a dongle for wireless and the site isn't making mention of PS4 until it talks about the wire option.

Thanks.

Edit - Nvm, at the bottom of the site it says under PS4 (usb wireless). These should be perfect then.
A fair warning, I own an Arctis headset (not this exact model) and it's one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've ever worn.

I would suggest one of the Hyper X models instead.

EvilBoris

Prophet of Truth - HDTVtest
Verified
Oct 29, 2017
whatever you are looking for, sizing is probably the most important thing, many of these headsets are made for a very specific demographic, so many might be too large or heavy for a child

Deleted member 56752

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
May 15, 2019

steelseries.com

I recommend the arctis 3. They're wired and are super comfortable

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
What does she play though

Headphones have no mic. Headsets do.

Off the top of my head: HyperX, PC37x (headset with mic built in), Philips SHP 9500 + V Moda Mic are the best ways to go for good quality.

Size is going to be an issue for her though. 9500s are supposed to be small but I think HyperX would be too big

Last edited:

kodax_shc

Oct 27, 2017
Southern California
I scored a Hyper X CloudX last years for $20 on price error and they are very comfy. Sounds like the Cloud 2 might be the way to go if you are going to pay closer to full price though.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
A fair warning, I own an Arctis headset (not this exact model) and it's one of the most uncomfortable headsets I've ever worn.

I would suggest one of the Hyper X models instead.

I can't speak to the cheaper models but I have one of the Arctic Pros and it's super comfy, between my ears & glasses I'd never previously found a headset I was comfortable using for more than 30 minutes but I can go hours wearing the Arctis Pro

MrPink

Oct 27, 2017
Not to hijack the thread but as someone who's only ever had the PS3 Pulse Elites for a headset I'm curious what is typically seen as most comfortable on a similar budget? The Pulse Elites felt too tight on my head and it felt like I was getting a headache after wearing them for just 30 minutes or so. I do wear glasses and maybe that's part of it too.

It's kind of scarred me from the headset experience but now that I have a PC with no speakers, I need to try something. But at the same time it makes me apprehensive to spend decent money either for something I don't know will be much different than my previous experiene.

Last edited: