• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
do you have any recommendations for movies/tv shows with natural sounding dialogue. I mean with a lot of cross talk, interruptions, talking over each other, maybe even just where the dialogue pays attentions to the little things like saying 'goodbye' on the phone. I'm also looking for examples that are egregious examples of the opposite.

nerdwriter did a video on Noah Baumbach that is similar to the stuff I'm looking for

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
baumbachs style isn't something you find super often in other movies, it can be a bit hard for people to follow because it just sort of blends into natural conversation that people already only half pay attention to in real life

The Wire ain't exactly 'realistic' with their dialouge style and rhythm, it's more that the show is more 'realistic' all around so it elevates the dialogue as well to feel more realistic

Fat4all

Woke up, got a money tag, swears a lot
Oct 25, 2017
here
it goes without saying, but if you enjoyed the style of dialogue in 'the meyerowitz stories new and selected' you'll also enjoy 'marrige story'

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
A lot of international movies go for this more naturalistic kind of speech.

UltraMav

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Spielberg was good at this in the 70s/80s/90s. Lots of people talking over each other and more naturalistic.

Carn

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Linklater movies have great dialogue (Before Trilogy comes to mind. The first one might be the weakest of the bunch tho). Some Mike Leigh movies are really good as well since a lot of it is based on improvisation by the actors. I would suggest Naked, which is just a fantastic movie anyways

Dommo

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
As much as it isn't thought of as such, the original Alien absolutely fits the bill. Lots of very dry, naturalistic dialogue with characters talking rubbish right over the top of each other. Scott did everything in his power to ground this otherwise extremely fantastical concept and the dialogue execution is one of those methods.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
RDJ does a lot of that in his Tony Stark role, especially with Pepper.

OP
OP
Dmitriivanalexeipavel
Oct 27, 2017
Linklater movies have great dialogue (Before Trilogy comes to mind. The first one might be the weakest of the bunch tho). Some Mike Leigh movies are really good as well since a lot of it is based on improvisation by the actors. I would suggest Naked, which is just a fantastic movie anyways
Watching some clips from Naked, it seems perfect. There's a scene where he lends a cigarette to a junkie that is exactly what I was looking for. Plus it's hilarious.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
Robert Altman, my friend.
Start with The Long Goodbye. Also Nashville, but it's a bit longer. But really... He captured something special with dialogue in quite a few films. I feel like Uncut Gems comes close to his style.