• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
For example like Ready Player 1, where the characters play an immersive MMORPG that serves as the main plot for the book.

Also read Dragon Tamers (E.Maree), Epic and some more.

I know that normally these kind of books don't have the most amazing quality, but I find them entertaining enough!

Edit: Books about the lore/universe of specific games are also valid! Example: the Guild Wars novels and the Elder Scrolls novels (read all)

Oct 28, 2017
Otherland series by Tad Williams and Reamde by Neal Stephenson spring to mind. I don't read books like that very often.

EVIL

Senior Concept Artist
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
From the writer of Ready player 1 there is also Armada.

HalStep

Oct 27, 2017
i haven't read any so don't know if they qualify but there are some assassins creed novels.

Aexact

Oct 30, 2017
Otherland series by Tad Williams and Reamde by Neal Stephenson spring to mind. I don't read books like that very often.
Oh snap, that was the one I was thinking about. Though I forget how gamey, as I recall it's one of those virtual worlds like Second Life. The conflict has a lot to do with the disparity between the characters in real life and their virtual avatars though.

jon bones

Oct 25, 2017
NYC
if you like Ready Player One, you will love Snow Crash

it's the OG cyberpunk mmo book and blows rpo out of the water

51yI5lXG7IL.jpg

snow-crash-featured1.jpg

_zoipi

One Winged Slayer
Nov 23, 2017
Madrid
LARPing counts?

if then, i read out of curiosity El Diablo en el Juego de rol. It's in spanish from a catalan author, so.. .Good luck finding a possibly english copy? It's about teenargers entering in a weird LARP about the tarot.

074211_Diablo_juego_rol_EDV.jpg

ToddBonzalez

The Pyramids? That's nothing compared to RDR2
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wolf in White Van is a good one about a famous and reclusive, yet disfigured tabletop game master who directs his players via back and forth mail communication.

Seneset

Oct 27, 2017
Limbus Patrum
There is an entire genre on amazon called LitRPG, it's filled with people playing VR MMOs. Finding your diamond in the rough might be a bit hard though.

Oliver James

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Wyrm by Mark Fabi, but it is probably hard to find now. Also, how about isekais? The Legendary Moonlight Sculptor and Log Horizon come to mind.

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
The Dragon Age in-universe books are pretty good, the ones that are set after DA2 and before DA:I are great and required reading IMO- Asunder features more Wynne and Shale, and provides Cole's entire backstory. The Masked Empire also sets up all the Orlais stuff from Inquisition in a satisfying way.

I know there are a lot of light novels that focus on isekai "oh no I've fallen into an MMORPG world" shenanigans, but no idea how many of those are actually good

WhiteNovember

Aug 15, 2018
51JWjlURFOL._SX280_BO1,204,203,200_.jpg

Can't remember the details, but it's similar to Ready Player one, but darker and without all thenpopcultural references.

OP
OP
Chackan

Chackan

Oct 31, 2017
More recommendations that I was expecting!

Maybe I will start with that Snow Crash one.

ryseing

Bought courtside tickets just to read a book.
Oct 25, 2017
For lovers
You by Austin Grossman. The main character was friends in high school with a group of people that would go on to be famous game developers, and after initially taking a different career path he joins the company when one of them dies and another leaves. Follows the development of an Elder Scrolls like game, and the game starts to bleed over into his reality.

Great novel.

WestEgg

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I like a series that begins with a book called NPCs, By Drew Hayes, though the the first book is kind of weak compared to the later ones. Basically a DnD party wipes in a tavern, and the story continues on from the perspective of the other NPCs in the tavern.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
More recommendations that I was expecting!

Maybe I will start with that Snow Crash one.

Snow Crash is really good.

The Dragonlance novels are actually adaptations of the Dragonlance AD&D modules from back in the 80's, which is actually an amazing campaign (I played it back in the day).

Then there's of course Ender's Game.

And I guess the Hunger Games count?

Then there's the Gotrek and Felix ones, from the Warhammer Fantasy RPG, and the Drizzt ones, from the AD&D Forgotten Realms setting...

Two series that are really really great and are somehow related would be Kings of the Wyld (inspired by tabletop rpgs and videogames, as per the author.Also by classic rock bands) and Red Rising (distant connection to the Hunger Games, but better. And not YA).

Abercrombie is also a great author that takes inspiration from games, although not as much as Eames (KotW author). He's a fan favourite as well

Actually I would just recommend you these last three, and forget the others (I read most of them lol, even the World of Warcraft ones. Terrible ;P)

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Player of Games by Iain M Banks. Not a video game but a game played by an Empire to assign Governmental Roles. It's a Culture novel but it is about a game.