• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Hmm, just reading reviews of Odyssey and users are really shitting on it for the XP scaling and stuff... not so sure now.

And yeh, played the hell out of Skyrim.

Did you play them Dragon Age games?
All of them.

Origins + all DLC is the best by far.

Hated 3, 2 was a mess but I liked it more.

Dlanor A. Knox

▲ Legend ▲
Apr 6, 2018
AC Odyssey is a great game, enjoy.

Never had any issues with XP. If you do some side content you'll be just fine.

Edit: Nvm you're talking about scaling my bad. Pretty sure you can somewhat configure it in the settings.

And even then, the game is really not that hard, I played it at max difficulty /w level scaling and it was great. And you can always lower the difficulty if you want to.

TheMrPliskin

Oct 26, 2017
Going to give another nod to CrossCode. It ticks a lot of the boxes of what you're looking for and it's a damn good game that seemed to go largely unnoticed.

I'd say at least give the demo a shot, especially with it being on sale at the moment.

NIN90

Nov 6, 2017
The recently released Skyrim mod Enderal should be a good fit too. It's free on Steam if you own Skyrim.

devSin

Oct 27, 2017
Hmm, just reading reviews of Odyssey and users are really shitting on it for the XP scaling and stuff... not so sure now.
You have to play the game to be able to play it, sure.

But I never felt restricted (even just blasting into later parts of the story to check some things out), and there's an option to adjust the scaling rules (you can't turn it off due to the way everything gets leveled, but you can reduce how strict it is).

The game is balanced for the scaling, and it works well and remains fun to play at any level. It's really only an issue if you don't like it and don't think you should have to keep playing it to beat it.

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
Kingdom Come: Deliverance. It's not sci-fi, but it's one of the best open-world RPGs ever, and it has pretty unique and cool combat mechanics (on top of gorgeous open world, interesting characters and quite good main story) . Do note that your protagonist is just a blacksmith's son, not a legendary monster killer, and thus sucks hard at combat in the beginning. But as your character and you progress, the combat becomes more and more rewarding. Make sure to exhaust all training options with captain Bernard as soon as it becomes available, and in general take some time training with him.

EDIT:
I love the top 2, I won't support the bottom one for reasons. :p
Well, you're missing out on an awesome game which was created by over a hundred very talented people who have nothing to do with the controversy (most of which is, in my opinion, exagerrated) regarding the creative director. But it's your decision.

Last edited:

Massicot

RPG Site
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
United States
Check out Enderal on Steam (free if you own Oldrim). I tried it on a whim and pretty much loved it. Couple potential knocks against it are og Skyrim combat and uneven performance.

Edit: Someone mentioned it just before me.

Dutch Masters

Jun 7, 2018
I also highly recommend Enderal. Check out the trailer below and see if it interests you, the story/voice acting/world is phenomenal for a free game.

Ladioss

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Little Big Adventure 1 ? But the game is more action/adventure than RPG, and may be a little old for your taste.

Femto0

Banned
Apr 28, 2018
Ac odyssey is really good,as the other said it has the best combat sistem of any ac game,keep in mind to choose Kassandra as mc she is the best, Alexios is boring as hell

m_dorian

Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Haven't seen Fallout New Vegas on that list or the new Wolfensteins. Or the Arkham Batman games.

As for my self, when everything else fails i usually return to the one-more-turn games Civ Iv and V.
And there are ofcourse the new XCOMs. Turn based but very entertaining.

OP
OP
astro

astro

Oct 25, 2017
The recently released Skyrim mod Enderal should be a good fit too. It's free on Steam if you own Skyrim.
Will try this for certain. Free + Skyrim base = no Brainer. Thanks!

Already covered FA:NV.

Played all 3 Arkham Games.

Not looking for a pure FPS atm.

AC Odyssey is a great game, enjoy.

Never had any issues with XP. If you do some side content you'll be just fine.

Edit: Nvm you're talking about scaling my bad. Pretty sure you can somewhat configure it in the settings.

And even then, the game is really not that hard, I played it at max difficulty /w level scaling and it was great. And you can always lower the difficulty if you want to.
Nothing to do with difficulty.

Astro get out of my head! I'm seriously reinstalling WoW atm...why.
Man, I want to keep playing The Division 2... but at this point all I'm doing is refining my builds which seems utterly pointless given the upcoming changes. ;_;

You have to play the game to be able to play it, sure.

But I never felt restricted (even just blasting into later parts of the story to check some things out), and there's an option to adjust the scaling rules (you can't turn it off due to the way everything gets leveled, but you can reduce how strict it is).

The game is balanced for the scaling, and it works well and remains fun to play at any level. It's really only an issue if you don't like it and don't think you should have to keep playing it to beat it.
Yeh I get that response, I've felt the same toward other complaints of other games.

Screw it, I'm buying it, it's only £21 on GMG right now with all discounts.

Also snagging Mankind Divided as it's £3.

Will gladly take more suggestions though!

Elixist

Oct 31, 2017
i've been on the lookout for a new arpg-ish game as well. i think i might check out kingdom come, forgot about it.

RedOnePunch

Oct 26, 2017
AC Origins is a great game. I'd give that a try if you haven't already. I really didn't like Odyssey though.