• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Just got an itch to play one but I can't think of any. So I don't really want a micro managing city builder like Sim City. Instead I want to craft/upgrade the town by defeating monsters or collecting goods (mining, lumberjacking, forestry) like My time at Portia.

Something like Rune Factory but with city management or Fantasy Life...

I have access to a PC, Switch, 3DS, DS, PS4, XBox One

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
81h34UtvEcL._AC_UL436_.jpg

RandomDazed

Oct 27, 2017
Dragon Quest Builders 2 (which is coming out very soon) but if you want something more sim then i've been really enjoying the recent Anno 1800.

You might also want to take a look at something like Factorio or Satisfactory. Different thing but might scratch the sim / upgrade itch.

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Played them all, thanks though

How about Forager? I really enjoyed my time with it, it's not as deep as Stardew or Portia but it's pretty good.

store.steampowered.com

Forager on Steam

The highly popular and quirky "idle game that you want to actively keep playing". Explore, craft, gather & manage resources, find secrets and build your base out of nothing! Buy land to explore and expand!

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
How about Forager? I really enjoyed my time with it, it's not as deep as Stardew or Portia but it's pretty good.

store.steampowered.com

Forager on Steam

The highly popular and quirky "idle game that you want to actively keep playing". Explore, craft, gather & manage resources, find secrets and build your base out of nothing! Buy land to explore and expand!
Played and finished it the second day it was released. I saw that an update has been released but will wait a bit longer before I return to it .

GhostBanana

Mar 18, 2019
Hamburg
What about Northgard? I have been eyeing it for a while. Looks close to what your're looking for.

'Northgard is a strategy game based on Norse mythology in which you control a clan of Vikings vying for the control of a mysterious newfound continent.'

Grunty

Oct 28, 2017
Gruntilda’s Lair
It's not really difficult, but you should give Ever Oasis on 3DS a chance. It's an action RPG with an interesting town building and management mechanic. It's different than others you've probably played before. It's kind of a Zelda x Animal Crossing, but more simplified than either yet has its own challenges.

dreams

Oct 25, 2017
I don't have any games to add, since my suggestions have been named here, but I'm gonna follow this. I also get that itch to play this type of game every once in a while, so kudos for making this thread!

Tenrius

For the Snark was a Boojum, you see
Oct 25, 2017
Pathfinder: Kingmaker if you're into CRPGs (but the city building part is not especially deep)

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
Thanks everyone for all the tips. Garden Paws looks interesting, and Ever Oasis is a game I've been itching to play but whenever I read reviews about it I chicken out.

Tregard

Oct 27, 2017
I don't know if it exactly fits your description, but I got a lot of the vibes you're laying down in the OP from Slime Rancher.

Nov 8, 2017
A slight curveball, but:

Heroes of Might & Magic III

It's a strategy game, but it's also an sRPG, and it's also kind of a light weight city/town builder. You have heroes who gain levels, unlock new abilities etc, these heroes then lead armies, and battles take place on a hex grid. Between battles, you have a world map to explore, find resources, fight non-player neutral creatures and armies, and these resources fuel your towns, which you can have many of (as many as exist on the map), and you upgrade those with new buildings to buff your income, recruit armies, unlock new units, unlock new spells for your heroes, etc. You can either play a continuous campaign with the same set of heroes staying with you, or (more commonly) you play a single scenario that could take anywhere from 1-5 hours to complete, after which time you will start all over again. But it's an extremely addictive loop - you're always levelling up some hero, finding new powerful artefacts to equip, building up a town, and managing resources, and it's all just so much damn fun.

I'm not exaggerating when I say it's one of the all time greatest games. And has a bitching soundtrack. It's old now, but you can pick it up really cheap on GOG, then install the HD mod, and it runs like a dream on even the most modest of computers. There is a more expensive official HD remaster available from Ubisoft on tablets and Steam, but that version lacks any of the expansion packs or quality of life features added by the mods.

It may not be exactly the right ratio of town-builder complexity to other things for what you crave, but still worth a look imo.

OP
OP
ADee

ADee

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Sweden
There's a new one called Littlewood, still in Kickstarter mode.

Saw it while I was trying to find a game, looks interesting but I'm waiting for a full release.

I've always wanted to try this one, have a look OP. Apparently it is very peaceful and lovely.

I have actually played it but refunded it. Back then I was more looking for a farming sim and when I got to the first "animal farm" there was almost no customization. I might have misjudged it but I was short on cash then and was afraid to play for more than two hours and finding out the game wasn't for me. Maybe I should give it another try because I liked the atmosphere now when I have money.

Vitet

Oct 31, 2017
Valencia, Spain
Little King's Story (the Wii original or PC versions, not the Vita bastardisation) qualifies as long as you don't mind some pikmin-esque gameplay thrown in?
Yep, My option as well:
store.steampowered.com

Little King's Story on Steam

Once upon a time, a little boy from our world found himself in another, more mystical world where a magical crown made him ruler over a floundering kingdom called Alpoko. You are this little boy, and it's your duty to make Alpoko great...so you can then expand its dominion and take over the world!

Deleted member 41178

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Saw it while I was trying to find a game, looks interesting but I'm waiting for a full release.

I have actually played it but refunded it. Back then I was more looking for a farming sim and when I got to the first "animal farm" there was almost no customization. I might have misjudged it but I was short on cash then and was afraid to play for more than two hours and finding out the game wasn't for me. Maybe I should give it another try because I liked the atmosphere now when I have money.

I'd skip it, your right there is hardly any customisation. It's basically walking from point A - B collecting things there really isn't much point to Farming Animal raising.

captainmal01

Oct 28, 2017
I haven't played stardew valley, but it's about building up a farm I think if that's what you're looking for. And No No Kuni 2 had town building elements.

But for the real MVP, Giants: Citizen Kabuto had town building aspects near the end of some of the campaigns.

Chaos17

Oct 27, 2017
France
Just got an itch to play one but I can't think of any. So I don't really want a micro managing city builder like Sim City. Instead I want to craft/upgrade the town by defeating monsters or collecting goods (mining, lumberjacking, forestry) like My time at Portia.

Something like Rune Factory but with city management or Fantasy Life...

I have access to a PC, Switch, 3DS, DS, PS4, XBox One

I am a big fan of simulation base building games.
So here're my suggestions from what you want (base builder with pve)

On Nintendo DS

s-l640.jpg

Atelier Annie, you've to develop the land just like in Atelier Meruru and Nelke.

AtelierMeruruDX_01-700x393.jpg

nelke-and-the-legendary-alchemists-ateliers-of-the-new-world-1.jpg

On PC

Base building game, you're in charge of survivors, you need to hunt, farm, etc
It's a game heavily rely on mods, there're so many that you can even almost reproduce Lord of the Rings setting lol
Updates are random, tho.

You don't need any mods with that one, like any base builder game, you need to hunt, craft an defend yourself against enemies.
It's pretty polished and has regular updates.
They even added a Star Wars mod made by fan in their lastest official release.

Actually at some point you will be able to build a camp and even recruit some npcs.
There is even a co-op version of this game : Don't Starve together
Any games from Klei are polished and they continue to release updates or dlc even after the game is well finished.

Android
rMYQzSNMyFqQEA9JF3KqYjmHUerf72i35xhZyAfepiP4L3QmyWFGEIGS5BnO4BqsJbJG=w1920-h902

Dungeon village is also available on Switch, one of my favorite base builder rpg game.

Last edited:

Snormy

I'll think about it
Oct 25, 2017
Morizora's Forest

Those are all common criticisms I've seen in reviews. It might not be the one you're look for after all. Do check before buying again because while it looks nice and I want to try it I haven't actually played it myself, your own experience with the game already is more than what I have to offer.

Also, it isn't really the same sort of management but have you tried games such as Recettear?

weemadarthur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Have you looked into Atelier Annie on DS? I'm not sure how much control there is over town building but there are some management aspects.

addik

Oct 28, 2017
Can I just say, thank you for this thread? I get these random bouts of wanting to play town-building RPGs outside of what I own and I just don't know where to start, mostly because I game on a Mac and a PS4, so half the options are unavailable to me.

But even so, I didn't even know that some of the games here had town management gameplay options. I've heard of Dark Cloud, but I always thought it was just an RPG. Reading about it, I didn't know it had strong town/city management features and now I'm considering getting it!

JohnnyMoses

Oct 27, 2017
Have you tried Prison Architect? Definitely one of my favorites.

Eh, not what you're looking for. Maybe Factorio?

Last edited: