• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Here is my current setup:
All purchased used ~4-5 years ago.

I like my subwoofer and probably want to keep it, while replacing my left / right / center speakers with a sound bar to simplify things and have fewer things and wires everywhere.
  1. Most sound bars I see come with a subwoofer and sometimes rear speakers. Ideally I'd like a standalone sound bar.
  2. If the best options do come with a subwoofer, that's fine, as long as it's also not a downgrade from my current subwoofer
  3. I don't care about smart features, and would prefer something which just hooks up directly to my receiver
  4. I want something which at least meets the level of sound quality I have today

Any recommendations?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Sonos Arc would be a good bet. I'm not sure it will connect to your current sub though (this might be an issue with most sound bars)

dmshaposv

Oct 27, 2017
Sonos beam - much cheaper, hdmi arc, amazing quality sound and bass. Has alexa support and works with apple airplay 2. Basically its the best bang for ur buck rn.

Doesnt have dolby atmos but thats the only shortfall (more expensive arc has atmos).

AliasGreed

Oct 31, 2017
My one advise is to make sure your room is sound bar proof. For example for a soundbar you need walls because sound bars reflect the sound from walls horizontally and vertically. If your sound setup is an open living room with no walls and high ceilings stick to a traditional system if you care about sound quality.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
Sonos Arc would be a good bet. I'm not sure it will connect to your current sub though (this might be an issue with most sound bars)
Sonos beam - much cheaper, hdmi arc, amazing quality sound and bass. Has alexa support and works with apple airplay 2. Basically its the best bang for ur buck rn.

Doesnt have dolby atmos but thats the only shortfall (more expensive arc has atmos).
Have a Beam and love it - would love an Arc, but too much money. You can modify the IKEA Sonos Symfonisk to connect to an existing subwoofer and use it as a sub. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiPPPu7j5DM

In my mind, if you're going for a soundbar the only option is Sonos. Especially when you consider you can easily add rear surrounds for < $200. I just did this with mine with the IKEA Symfonisk and it is a game changer.

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Have a Beam and love it - would love an Arc, but too much money. You can modify the IKEA Sonos Symfonisk to connect to an existing subwoofer and use it as a sub. See: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TiPPPu7j5DM

In my mind, if you're going for a soundbar the only option is Sonos. Especially when you consider you can easily add rear surrounds for < $200. I just did this with mine with the IKEA Symfonisk and it is a game changer.
Sonos is incredible. Only drawback is they don't have any HDMI passthrough ports, which for the price is definitely a feature that should be included. So it essentially takes up an HDMI port on your TV, which blows.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Guys, let me quickly and shamelessly hijack the thread. I also have a left/right/center setup, but it's a really crappy one (like, 5 watts for the sub and 3 for l-r or something like that, it was super cheap and I had no money, don't judge me ^_^).

Now I can buy a better sound system, but the subwoofer annoys me due to my room layout. Am I right to assume a decent soundbar with no subwoofer will sound a lot better than the crappy system I have now? Or will I miss the subwoofer?

OP
OP
SpartyCrunch

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
I've considered getting either the Sonos Beam or Arc - I already have a Play:1 and Play:3, but don't want to connect them to the rest of my home theater system for my TV. I like keeping them separate, just for music.

So given that, can the Sonos Beam or Arc just connect via wire directly to the receiver instead of it needing to be wireless? Or just in general, how does it connect to an existing receiver?

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I've considered getting either the Sonos Beam or Arc - I already have a Play:1 and Play:3, but don't want to connect them to the rest of my home theater system for my TV. I like keeping them separate, just for music.

So given that, can the Sonos Beam or Arc just connect via wire directly to the receiver instead of it needing to be wireless? Or just in general, how does it connect to an existing receiver?
It doesn't connect to a receiver. It's all within the Sonos system.

peppermints

Oct 25, 2017
I should clarify then -

I mentioned I already have a subwoofer I'd like to keep, but I also have two rear speakers I'd like to keep. So I want to keep my receiver in the mix too.
Ah. As far as i know that's not possible for the rears. You can do the IKEA hack I mentioned earlier for the sub, but the rears I don't think have any way currently to communicate with Sonos since everything communicates wirelessly. I'd ask on /r/sonos if you're really interested, someone might know more than me.

Meatfist

Oct 25, 2017
What you're looking for is referred to as a passive soundbar - rather than having its own amplification and other "smart" features it's pretty much just the L/C/R speakers in a single enclosure with 6 speaker wire posts on the back. I don't have any experience with them but the same soundbar limitations apply - smaller speakers means smaller sound, and it's probably going to be more expensive than an equivalent L/C/R set

PopsMaellard

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017

I love my Beam, and you can pair it with IKEA's ridiculously affordable Sonos produced bookshelf speakers.

edit: late!

OP
OP
SpartyCrunch

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
What you're looking for is referred to as a passive soundbar - rather than having its own amplification and other "smart" features it's pretty much just the L/C/R speakers in a single enclosure with 6 speaker wire posts on the back. I don't have any experience with them but the same soundbar limitations apply - smaller speakers means smaller sound, and it's probably going to be more expensive than an equivalent L/C/R set

Thanks for the additional details.

It sounds like there isn't really a viable solution for what I'm looking for, or if there is, they'd all be niche products with questionable quality / value.

I'd be up for still considering something like the Sonos Beam or Arc, but it sounds like I'd need to forego my receiver entirely to do so, right?

So if I were to just sell much of my entire current system, what would I do with the 4-5 devices currently connected directly to my receiver? And what would I do with the receiver itself? I guess it just becomes pointless to have too?

OP
OP
SpartyCrunch

SpartyCrunch

Xbox
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle, WA
Bumping again - really hoping someone can help answer:
I'd be up for still considering something like the Sonos Beam or Arc, but it sounds like I'd need to forego my receiver entirely to do so, right?

So if I were to just sell much of my entire current system, what would I do with the 4-5 devices currently connected directly to my receiver? And what would I do with the receiver itself? I guess it just becomes pointless to have too?

CloseTalker

Oct 25, 2017
Bumping again - really hoping someone can help answer:
If you're replacing your audio solution, the receiver would only need to function as an HDMI hub, if you even need it (if you have more HDMI devices than TV ports). That theoretically could work, the SONOS thing would take your Arc HDMI port so all volume controls run through it, then the receiver would take another HDMI port with all your devices feeding into that. It's an overkill solution, and if you don't need the extra HDMI inputs then yeah, I don't see what the receiver would be doing for you. The whole point of these devices is to negate the need for a receiver.