• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Dussck

Oct 27, 2017
The Netherlands
Until dawn.

Life is strange.

Detroit.

Heavy rain.

All that stuff isn't actually easy if you're not used to the button layout of the controller. These games are filled with QTE's and when you need to look down to see where the button is it's often too late and you fail.

I tried to play Until Dawn with my ex-girlfriend, who wasn't used to holding a controller and even when I put sticky notes with the button symbols on the TV frame, she still failed like 95% of them. Basically everyone died :p

jerfdr

Dec 14, 2017
What Remains of Edith Finch. It's a narrative masterpiece, it's quite short, it doesn't have any complicated/unintuitive gameplay elements, it's fantastic visually. A perfect choice for what you need, in my opinion.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Many people clearly didn't read the OP. Non-first person and easy for non-gamers. Many of you are underestimating how difficult dual analog and camera control with the right stick are for most people new to games.

A 2d game might be a good idea, but not a platformer since these usually require fast reaction times. Night In The Woods has a pretty decent story and is quite funny. A short RPG like Child of Light might also work if you're along for the ride to help but it might be a bit complex for a first game.

If you are thinking that you'll need a good narrative to get her hooked, it would be helpful to know what kind of movies or books she likes to get a sense of her tastes.

Telltale Games and stuff like Life Is Strange are probably your best bet.

Tennis

Oct 27, 2017
Breath of The Wild for sure. It's such an effortless and game, very easy to approach even if you haven't played with dual stick controls before.

WolfeTone

Oct 25, 2017
Don't choose Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey. Too many buttons to deal with for a first timer and repeated deaths will likely frustrate her. Something like shooting the bow will likely prove very challenging.

Does your girlfriend actually want to play games though? Based on your OP it doesn't sound like it. Maybe she just wants to watch?

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
To The Moon
I highly recommend this game. Needs to be controlled with a mouse but I played this over a couple of train rides and had an amazing time with the story. The graphics are horrible and the first 20 minutes have some terrible jokes. Keep a guide nearby in case of any friction points.

Oct 28, 2017
Like I said on the first page, OP should start with these.

Let her play these till she's gets comfortable with them.

These are cheap now too. And great fun for couples.

81Eqf4z2ZWL.jpg

item_1953697_951.png

EarthPainting

Oct 26, 2017
Town adjacent to Silent Hill
I didn't grow up playing video games, and my friends pushed me to play Final Fantasy X as my first game. While it's far from my favourite nowadays, I do think it was a pretty good starter-game. It's a third person game where you don't have to worry about a camera or aiming. You can take your time for basically anything, including to look at your controller, which was a huge plus. While there are more demanding bits here and there, they're all optional, and you can easily make it to the end by just walking around and selecting things in menus. That type of simplicity might be something to aim for.

TheSantry

Banned
Dec 25, 2017
Super Mario Odyssey
Ratchet and Clank
Crash and Spyro Remastered Trilogies
Until Dawn
Detroit: Become Human
Pokemon Let's Go Pikachu/Evee

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
I was surprised at how well my partner took to Breath of the Wild, playing 80 hours or so!! She didn't complete it though, mostly because of the bosses and the stealth section.

The narrative is more subdued, but if you're willing to talk to people there's a lot of story to dig out.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Almost forgot: Broken Age, Grim Fandango and Psychonauts have excellent stories and very forgiving difficulty curves regarding mechanics. Most of the challenge will be trying to figure out the abstruse af puzzles in the first two. Psychonauts is just fun throughout. Fun Mario-inspired gameplay, fun and memorable dialogue, charming graphics style, etc. It's a pretty good starting point for any Tim Schafer game for sure, and will be good for building hype leading up to the release of the sequel this year.

YukiroCTX

Prophet of Regret
Oct 30, 2017
The Last of Us - Horror game, great story and gameplay, most of all it's a great starter due to how accessible the options are for inexperienced players for anyone who struggles with dual analogs. Similarly with the Uncharted series.

Legend of Zelda Breath of the Wild - Great game to start as it's got huge amounts of systems to help inexperienced players cope with difficulty. It's designed around self discovery, playing around though not quite as story heavy game. One of the first open world games I would recommend players try and know from experience particularly how well the game resonated with my younger sister who is dual control illiterate at times.

Ace Attorney's are a great suggestion as well. They're more like visual novels, light on gameplay but great stories that have very nice build ups and arcs and a bit of investigation and mysteries.

phonicjoy

Banned
Jun 19, 2018
My girlfriend's first games were life is strange and journey. She absolutely loved them

These are actually good ideas. LOL tot people saying Mario Odyssee. Life is strange and Journey require little precision with the analog sticks and have great atmosphere/story. Great ideas. I used to play the Witness together with my ex. Was a surprising amount of fun. I would do the controlling and we would solve puzzles together.

Edit: Untill dawn is a great idea too if she's into horror.

PayOffWizard

Oct 27, 2017
Manchester England
Im in exactly the same situation as you and my GF loved playing Detroit. Its easy to play and even has an easy control mode which we played on.

She also loves Overcooked which is a bit more complicated but still super easy to pick up and play.

A Way Out was also a lot of fun but id probably play that last as its the most difficult of the 3.

iswasdoes

Nov 13, 2017
Londinium
This is a great beginner game. It's really a beginner friendly game and it's super simple mechanic wise + it's beautiful so I would say this too!

Guys, read the op. Narrative driven.

Of what I've played recently, Detroit might fit the bill. Even if you fail at the qte's the story keeps going

GoW has a difficulty setting that says 'tell me a story' - not sure how it works but could be an option

Maybe a playdead title?

mclem

Oct 25, 2017
There hasn't been much suggestion of Double Fine stuff, it might not be a bad idea to look at their catalogue. Grim Fandango strikes me as a possibly-great choice, also Costume Quest and Stacking. Maybe Psychonauts, depends how she is at platforming.

I'm always willing to throw text adventures out there, although they require a certain mindset. Still, I will always happily float Photopia for people interested in narrative in gaming. And, as others have mentioned, while it's not a text adventure Her Story fits nicely into that bracket (Sam Barlow has roots in text adventure dev)

On the subject of narrative, what about the Inkle games, particularly 80Days? And on a similarish note, might be worth glancing in the direction of the Fallen London family of games, especially Sunless Sea.

RPGs feel like they ought to be a good fit, but finding the appropriate balance of complexity for a new player might not be trivial. There's Costume Quest as I mentioned beforehand. A Paper Mario or a Mario & Luigi strikes me as a good fit, but there's no simple way to get to those. And for a left-field suggestion, how about Fable Anniversary on PC? It's been a long time since I played it (back then in the original Xbox form), but I don't recall it being overcomplex.

Wondering about something simple in the Diablo vein. Deathspank, possibly, but it's not for everyone, the jokes are a bit heavyhanded. Would Torchlight fit the bill, or is that too complex? I've not played Titan Quest or Van Helsing, and not made proper inroads into Dungeon Siege, but I imagine they're all possibilities as well. Narrative isn't great in these, though.

I've been trying to figure out if there's something open world that manages to sustain interest but isn't full of complexity - that is, something that rewards exploration. BOTW is the obvious fit, but possibly complex, it's hard to be sure. That said, it does help that the key interactions in BOTW are very intuiutive. I'm actually thinking Wind Waker would work, but again, that doesn't currently fit your available platforms.

I know some people who aren't deep gamers who have warmed to Assassin's Creed for the atmosphere, but you'd have to judge if the controls would be too overwhelming. It's a game that gets the imagination going, though, and that can draw people in.

BillerBomber

Banned
Nov 14, 2017
Ghost Trick: The Phantom Detective is one of the best I think. You can play it on Phone, ds or 3ds bc. It has an amazing story with a few twists that make it hard to put the game down. The atmosphere is fun and cute but can it can be very intense from time to time. It has touch controls and is more puzzle than action oriented.

It's the only game my sister-in-law has ever finished and even though she doesn't care about games in general, she has nothing but praise for it.

Gundam

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Hellblade: Senua's Sacrifice, with the combat on easy. That's how I played it. It's on every platform.

Bear_Raccoon

Apr 11, 2019
My girlfriend isn't a gamer either but likes to watch me play story driven games like the Witcher, RDR2 etc

She wanted to try games after watching and the ones she loved the most are the Telltale games, she loved the Wolf Among Us most out of all of them.

She's since moved on to Stardew Valley on the switch and has put impressive hours into it since.

She only picked up a control pad for the first time around a year ago

Crow Pudding

Nov 12, 2017
Some narrative game - point and click adventure, without any QTE or fast reflexes control, and easy to none puzzles.

RPGamer

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Let her play Breath of the Wild, the best game of the gen is a great experience for anyone in my opinion, dying isn't too punishing in this too and she will learn the controlls. Or Life is Strange 1 if it should be more narrative. That game is easy in controlls (and has not as much timepressure as some Telltale games), but not in decicions.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
Life Is Strange
Any telltale

Both good for getting someone use to navigating a 3d space

Mario bros u

Paquete_PT

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Narrative-based games should be a safe bet: detroit or life is strange.
If platforming is more her thing, try Inside
For party games you two can play together: overcooked (but you better start working on your tinder profile because no relationship survives that :p)

mxbison

Banned
Jan 14, 2019
All that stuff isn't actually easy if you're not used to the button layout of the controller. These games are filled with QTE's and when you need to look down to see where the button is it's often too late and you fail.

I tried to play Until Dawn with my ex-girlfriend, who wasn't used to holding a controller and even when I put sticky notes with the button symbols on the TV frame, she still failed like 95% of them. Basically everyone died :p

That is what makes them great for starters though. You don't get a game over screen if you press the wrong button, instead you have to face the consequences in game.

sn00zer

Feb 28, 2018
Ive run through a similar exercise with other people and I think it's important to also know what to avoid. Most modern games have a shit ton of mehanics we take for granted.
When thinking of what games to show, get games with the least amount of mechanics. Also get games that show only one or two particular core game mechanics such as double stick control, levelling, inventory, etc.

Again AVOID GAMES WITH A LOT OF MECHANICS

Games to avoid:
Horizon Zero Dawn - Way too many mechanics
Deus Ex - Again way too many mechanics
Souls series - duh
Any open world Ubisoft game
God of War
Red Dead
Witcher 3
Most AAA games

Games to Try:
Ratchet and Clank-great for learning sticks and modern controls
Child of Light - great for first rpg
Mario Odyssey
Detroit- good way to learn where buttons are on the controller
Lego Series- good for learning coop
Journey- good intro to art games
Little Nightmares

I read your post and I understand no first person games, but Destiny is the best game to introduce people to how modern games work. It greatly simplifies a number of common mechanics such as skill trees, inventory, maps, levelling up, etc.

Damn Silly

Oct 25, 2017
If she's not seen it, the first Life Is Strange would be your best bet to ease her in. Unlike the Telltale and Quantic Dreams games and even the later Life Is Strange games that force some to all responses on a timer, the majority of Life Is Strange can be taken at whatever pace she likes. And if she made a choice she didn't like, she can rewind it away most of the time.

Thera

Banned
Feb 28, 2019
France
Many of you are underestimating how difficult dual analog and camera control with the right stick are for most people new to games.
This. I gave my GF, who always playing 2D or fixed camera games, the controller to move forward in BoTW while I was going to bathroom. It was an experience to see and clearly opening my eyes on the matter. Controlling the camera is something to learn.

dragonbane

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Detroit on the Easy difficulty would be indeed perfect for her. Game controls the camera for you and the QTEs only involve 2 of the face buttons (circle and X), no shoulder or sixaxis prompts whatsoever. If she is afraid of the timer during dialogues, you can pause the game which is a bit cheap but works. That said, the timer length is doubled on Easy which already helps. The game also removes some fail states/death points to avoid frustration. A generous checkpoint system allows easy reversal of most choices

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
Life Is Strange & LiS Before the Storm - beautiful soundtracks with relatable female leads. Once you get over the teen dialogue, it becomes one of the most engaging narrative driven games you'll ever play.

The Telltale games - Walking Dead Season 1 is bloody glorious. Genuinely shed a tear at this one.

Until Dawn - Rami Malek & Hayden Panettiere in some fun cheesy horror. Yes!

Detroit Become Human - Really pretty and surprisingly political. Wonderfully acted. You can also pick up the other two Quantic Dream games, Heavy rain & Beyond two Souls.

Journey was a great shout from someone on a previous page. Less of a game and more of an experience, but what an amazing experience it is.

A former girlfriend of mine really got into LittleBigPlanet, as something we could play together.