• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 29, 2017
Obvious choice is modern adventure games: Broken Age, Telltale Titles ( The Walking Dead, The Wolf Among Us, Tales from the Borderlands, etc), Life is Strange, Night in the Woods, Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons, Etc. But the classics are worth visiting too in the Lucas Art Remasters like Day of the Tentacle Remastered, etc. or modern but retro style like Thimbleweed Park.

For more challenge that is still entirely at your own pace, I'll suggests some simple story heavy turn based RPGs like Banner Saga, and them maybe full blown turn-based WRPGs and JRPGs.

edit: maybe also Thronebreaker: The Witcher Tales? I haven't gotten to it yet, but I heard great things about the story, and it kinda counts as turn-based.

Last edited:

gogosox82

Oct 25, 2017
The Sims? Those are pretty easy to get into. Life is Strange or Telltale games (but Idk if you can get those games anymore tbh). Lego games are pretty easy to get into.

Edit: just thought of Her Story. Its pretty cheap normally and has a pretty interesting narrative.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
I'd say i'd try to get her to branch out from mainly liking narrative heavy games maybe she could take a liking to other type of games. Could even go retro with an older mario game, or a kirby game even. (like superstar).

Maybe some of the recent lego games + being in coop it could be fun for you both.

Syril

Oct 26, 2017
A bit of an out there suggestion, but Celeste in slow motion and other assist options as needed.

Vern

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
lmao

"she gets nauseous from first person shooters"

(suggests a game that has you flying through portals super fast and shooting into air all in first person)

I get nauseous from fast paced first person shooters but never had a problem with either portal. You can mostly take your time and not get the spins.

I recommend Detroit OP. My gf likes adventure games and plays it all the time.

TheYanger

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Any post recommending a game that you PROBABLY want to play with dual analog or precision aiming or control is really underestimating how easy it is to grasp the hand eye coordination you have to build for that stuff. Yeah, we all learned it as kids and it was easy, but if you find an adult that hasn't used an analog stick to move something around an environment before, it is NOT easy. Even 'easy' games like Mario Odyssey are not fucking easy in that context, you want something that gets them used to moving around without it feeling punishing. For instance my Mom loves Pokemon Go and that meant Let's Go was able to get her over the hump of getting used to controlling a 3d character in a space, but I think using the second analog for a camera would still cause her brain to just shut down. It's a calm, slow game that you can kind of run around at your own pace, which makes it perfect.

Any game like that, Telltale etc, would be a great starting point.

Verelios

Oct 26, 2017
Would she be fine with Phoenix Wright, or is it only the first person motion that makes her sick? If she's okay with static FPV then I'll recommend the Phoenix Wright collection on IOS or Switch.

pikachief

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
My wife has very low patience for video games and she loves Celeste. She even made celeste her alarm recently, which made me very confused one morning. Just have her use assist mode.

Life is strange is also very good.

Lately we've been playing through Ace Attourney (both of our first time) and its a really fun story based game.

cid_drpg

Apr 28, 2018
Talking from my experience, I would suggest The Vanishing of Ethan Carther or Mario Odyssey. My girlfriend liked both a lot.

Yabberwocky

Oct 27, 2017
Repeating what a lot of users have said already: Telltale games (personal favs being The Walking Dead S1, Tales from the Borderlands, The Wolf Among Us), Life Is Strange, Night in the Woods, and Oxenfree. Possibly Stardew Valley? If you've got a Switch, maybe some Final Fantasy games - FFVII/FFIX/FFX/FFXII?

It's a shame she gets nauseous from first-person POV, as I'd love to rec Until Dawn, Firewatch, What Remains of Edith Finch, and Soma (with safe mode on for someone who's more of a newcomer to games). If it helps, I also used to have a similar nausea problem with FP POV/FPS games - it did get better in time, and now I very rarely have the issue.

Edit: also if you play uncharted 4 or the Lost Legacy, turn on aim lock-on. Makes it so much easier for those who aren't as used to TPS controls.

Journey is EXCELLENT for new gamers or basically anyone.

Also great ideas! UC4+TLL's lock-on is great, and Journey is a comparatively gentle introduction to dual analog controls, etc.

Roygbiv95

Alt account
Banned
Jan 24, 2019
Gone Home would be perfect so it's a shame she gets motion sickness from first person perspective.

If story is a crucial reason for wanting to play games, I feel like The Last Guardian would've also been a perfect starting point if only it felt good to play and the interaction mechanics between the main character and Trico weren't so esoteric. But at some point it might be one worth playing.

Also any of the following:

- The Last of Us (especially since she's a horror fan)
- Uncharted
- Ico
- Tearaway
- Breath of the Wild
- Horizon Zero Dawn
- Journey
- Dreams (especially once the official story modes are done)
- Okami
- Rez: Infinite

Last edited:

Stiler

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Your best bet would probably be the adventure genre. The adventure genre is focused on the narrative and puzzles, not really any kind of fast paced or twitch actions.

I would suggest two of the best ones,
F75XvdU.jpg

c0tULye.jpg

These are two of the most highly acclaimed adventure games out there, both have wonderful storeis and great female protags, both are third person as well.

smileysil

Feb 2, 2019
New Delhi
Life is Strange and Heavy Rain would be great places to start. She might need some help with the Heavy Rain controls at first but it shouldn't be too much of an issue.

Mr. X

Oct 25, 2017
Previous gen RPGs like Chrono Trigger, Suikoden 2, Final Fantasy series, N64 Paper Mario

Bastion, but I don't remember if the gameplay was hard, just that story was neat

-Tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Oct 26, 2017
Did half of you not read the OP at all?

The obvious choice here is something like Telltales Walking Dead etc

Hella

Oct 27, 2017
Stardew Valley gives new players a good opportunity to learn the basic controls and conventions in video games. It is a very free-form game that is patient enough to let players learn at their own pace every in-game day. There's a ton of uniquely 'video game' concepts & mechanics introduced in SDV that will help new players should they decide to play something else. And best of all, the way it's structured will organically nudge players into discovering all of this stuff, when they're ready.

Also helps that it's hella fun.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017
Any post recommending a game that you PROBABLY want to play with dual analog or precision aiming or control is really underestimating how easy it is to grasp the hand eye coordination you have to build for that stuff. Yeah, we all learned it as kids and it was easy, but if you find an adult that hasn't used an analog stick to move something around an environment before, it is NOT easy. Even 'easy' games like Mario Odyssey are not fucking easy in that context, you want something that gets them used to moving around without it feeling punishing. For instance my Mom loves Pokemon Go and that meant Let's Go was able to get her over the hump of getting used to controlling a 3d character in a space, but I think using the second analog for a camera would still cause her brain to just shut down. It's a calm, slow game that you can kind of run around at your own pace, which makes it perfect.

Any game like that, Telltale etc, would be a great starting point.

Yep. My partner has a really hard time with the right stick. It's just not something you can pick up and learn very quickly, both mechanically and conceptually.

Telltale is a great choice. I think any third person adventure games would work well.

dock

Game Designer
Verified
Nov 5, 2017
Wow there are so many horrible replies to this thread.

Games are riddled with UX nightmares and getting started with games as an adult in 2019 can be rough. Be prepared for anything you pick to not click for any number of reasons.

I'm in a similar boat and I can share some experiences with titles listed.

- Gone Home: No
I know this is off your list.
She didn't like the first person controls and hated opening cupboards. She felt uncomfortable with rummaging.

- Life is Strange: Yes
We took turns controlling this, but later on she had me control the waking around bits because she didn't like the controls. I had to remind her to rummage in bins etc, and she found this very impolite. We played through this to completion and she loved the story.

- Minecraft Story Mode: Mixed
She tried this while sick and the controls and interface were generally fine, but the story itself wasn't enough for her to want to play past chapter 1.

- Oxenfree: No
She really disliked the teens and characters immediately, and stopped playing quickly. Controls seemed okay though. Worth a try.

- Uncharted: mixed
She hated how much combat there is even on the easiest settings, and failed at any boss like situation.

Suggestions:
- Frog Wares Sherlock Holmes games. She watched me play these and on the easier settings you can rely on the checklist to focus on the narrative.

Yasai

Dec 23, 2017
She's still at the stage where's she's having some trouble moving the camera and a character at the same time, remembering what the buttons are called etc...so I feel she might get frustrated with it.

I don't know if she'd like the vibes and style of that game and how much time she got on her hands but a while ago I gave Dragon Quest XI to a girl who had never played an involved game before and she loved it because she could take her time with the gameplay decisions. A game like that should also ease her into navigating a character in a 3D-third-person environment pretty well

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
jfc no newbie gamer should be playing with Grim Fandango's obtuse controls and puzzles lol.

Xiaomi

Oct 25, 2017
My roommate (a woman in her early thirties) was into Age of Empires back in the day, but she stopped playing games until relatively recently. She was brought back in by Animal Crossing and Stardew Valley, then 3D games like Breath of the Wild and Horizon Zero Dawn. Both of those are intriguing narrative-focused (to an extent) games that are very forgiving on their default difficulty levels. Also Overwatch but if first-person is a no-go then it won't be something she enjoys. Give Diablo 3 a try as well; it hooks people.

Oct 25, 2017
Try the Sims 4. It's very easy to pick up and play and a lot of fun for awhile.
This is a great beginner game. It's really a beginner friendly game and it's super simple mechanic wise + it's beautiful so I would say this too!
Whenever it comes out, Animal Crossing for Switch for sure. I feel like that's something that can appeal to non gamers simply because it's a series that even my Mom and Dad like to play, and while my Mom plays some video games, my Dad plays no other games, and he enjoyed it on the Wii. I had to buy them a Switch because the new one is coming.
I would go with SteamWorld Dig..

You play in 2D. It slowly introduced stuff. At the start you just move left and right and press a button. The loop is a bit repetitive , but still fun, so easy to get used to everything before you are asked to do more. The story is actually good.

SteamWorld Dig 2 adds more mechanics to learn, that are a bit more complex, so continuing the series helps her advance her skills

These aren't narrative focused at all.

Bold One

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
So many Noob game mentions.

OP - send her into Bloodborne - throw her in the deep end.

She'll come out stronger and more attracted to you.

Alex840

Oct 31, 2017
Uncharted series/The Last of Us (on easy)
Her Story
Life is Strange 1/2
Tales from the Boarderlands
The Wolf Among Us
Until Dawn
Journey
Return of the Obra Dinn
Night in the Woods
Pyre
Inside

Deleted member 16657

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
No first person, heavy narrative focus, no dual analog.

Her Story
Ace Attorney Trilogy
Limbo and Inside (horror)
Journey (to learn dual analog controls)

You can also try turn based games like Final Fantasy, Child of Light, Steamworld Heist.