• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Not sure why but I'm in a mood for exactly such a game, something akin to XCOMs (already played them), the type of combat doesn't matter as long as there's some action involved (not interested in games where you simply just build, I've had my fill of them while I played on PC) and a hub/base where you can kick back/improve/tweak/build some stuff after a mission. Currently I mostly game on Switch and XO so it'd be great if somebody could recommend something specifically for those platforms, unless of course there's some killer title exclusive to PS4 then I guess I'd have to dig it up from the cupboard.

I'm open to indie, AA, and AAA games, as long as the aforementioned criteria are met.

HeeHo

Oct 27, 2017
I'm playing through Dragon Quest Builders and it technically fits the bill but the action is kinda "eh". The sequel comes out next week. I'm interested in these types of games as well.

G_Shumi

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Cleveland, OH
I don't know why this comes to my head first, but "Banjo-Kazooie: Nuts and Bolts" for Xbox 360/Xbox One is a game where you build, tweak, improve, etc. your vehicle and then take it out on missions (mostly races) to beat the best time. Would that be something you're interested in?

Jawmuncher

Crisis Dino
Oct 25, 2017
Ibis Island
What you want is pretty broad, but some things to keep an eye on

- Mutant Year Zero (Like Xcom)
- Warhammer: Vermintide (You have a hub you can hang out in-between missions)
- Into the breach (Roguelike but hits some of the bills you want)
- Metal Gear Solid V (Techincally fits your bill too)

These are the only ones off the top of my head.

SkyOdin

Apr 21, 2018
Dragon Quest Builders 1 and 2 might fit your interests. DQB at least has base building covered, though the combat isn't very complicated.

foxuzamaki

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Its not out for a few weeks but have you thought about fire emblem? The newest one isnt actually about basebuilding in the literal sense, you build and train your team to be w/e you want and can even put it on auto if you so choose.

Fire emblem fates for 3DS does have some base building gameplay however

Strings

Oct 27, 2017
Ys VIII, kinda? You're building up a base on a shipwrecked island across the course of the game.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
What you want is pretty broad, but some things to keep an eye on

- Mutant Year Zero (Like Xcom)
- Warhammer: Vermintide (You have a hub you can hang out in-between missions)
- Into the breach (Roguelike but hits some of the bills you want)
- Metal Gear Solid V (Techincally fits your bill too)

These are the only ones off the top of my head.

Platinumed the shit out of MGSV, but yeah, otherwise it'd be a great proposition.

Into the Breach looks very interesting, I think I'm gonna give it a go, especially since it's in gamepass.

Its not out for a few weeks but have you thought about fire emblem? The newest one isnt actually about basebuilding in the literal sense, you build and train your team to be w/e you want and can even put it on auto if you so choose.

Fire emblem fates for 3DS does have some base building gameplay however

Fire Emblem TH is definitely on my radar, as soon as it comes out I'm in. I remember having great time with FE games back on Gamecube.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Ys VIII, kinda? You're building up a base on a shipwrecked island across the course of the game.
This really. You even have missions where you have to defend your base from waves of monsters. You also have to go out and rescue some of the castaways and recruit back to the base. It's a great game, and now because you mentioned it, i wish i could play it blindly again.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
subbed - i love this type of game, rare as it is

You may want to check Halcyon 6: Lightspeed Edition, already played it and loved it. I'm also currently doing some research and yeah, there isn't really much of it, especially on consoles:

Regalia: Of Men and Monarchs - turn-based combat, rebuilding kingdom from ruins

Legrand Legacy - turn-based with QTE elements, rebuilding and growing castle town [looks like a love letter to old school jrpgs]

Thea: The Awakening - turn-based card game, exploring, building your city, surviving [looks rough around the edges though]

Dead in Vinland - turn-based, managing your settlement

Bladestorm: Nightmare - musou-like combat, managing your mercenary band

Unfortunately, most of it is pretty niche and very specific. However I think I'm gonna give Regalia and Legrand a shot.

Dyashen

Dec 20, 2017
Belgium
State of Decay 2 got me really hooked and they released a story-driven expansion around E3. It's still a bit janky, but definitely atleast worth trying out ;)

Mutant Year Zero (also on Xbox Game Pass) is also a good one to keep in mind with. I really liked the XCOM-like elements that the devs brought to the table.

Deleted member 29464

Account closed at user request
Banned
Nov 1, 2017
I loved the first dragon quest builders with its focus on rebuilding most the DQ1 towns and exploring all the regions. The combat was pretty weak though but serviceable. The game occasionally had you defend from invasions and usually ended in a boss battle at your now fully developed town. Its sequel is coming out this week but looks to have the same combat but I'm really looking forward to it.

Another suggestion that isn't quite what you are looking for but might scratch some of the itch is No Man's Sky, there are main quests and a quest line dedicated to building up your own base but there is little action in the game and almost no interaction between action and base building e.g. No invasions. There is still however space combat, the sentinels, a sort of robot police, and a few alien horrors you can hunt.

It's a shame war for the overworld or dungeon keeper wasn't just on PC as I would recommend them. You'd probably find a lot more of those types of games on PC too.

Panic Freak

Oct 26, 2017
I'm going to second State of Decay 2. It's got base building and a unique gameplay loop with action combat.

OP
OP
Bansai

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
State of Decay 2 got me really hooked and they released a story-driven expansion around E3. It's still a bit janky, but definitely atleast worth trying out ;)

Mutant Year Zero (also on Xbox Game Pass) is also a good one to keep in mind with. I really liked the XCOM-like elements that the devs brought to the table.

I'm going to second State of Decay 2. It's got base building and a unique gameplay loop with action combat.

I bought my XOX specifically for SoD2 and had a whale of a time with it. I'm probably gonna replay it soon with all of the DLCs that were released. SoD1 on the other hand is probably my favorite zombie game ever.

Slicer Dyster

Does Mutant have any sort of base-management? I thought it was only combat and going from area to area?

Monster hunter world

Played it to death, but thanks for the suggestion.

TheRuralJuror

Oct 25, 2017
I believe that new attack on Titan 2 version has a base building, territory mode or something of that nature. I'm still doing the main story, but that's pretty fun so far and you can upgrade your gear a la monster hunter. It's a bit repetitive, but I was very pleasantly surprised with the game.

Sean Mirrsen

Banned
May 9, 2018
Thea: The Awakening - turn-based card game, exploring, building your city, surviving [looks rough around the edges though]
Thea is definitely a bit rough, but it provides a very unique take on... well, everything, really. I do rather recommend it, it's very weird and occasionally unbalanced, but it's quite fun once you get your head around the "encounter" system with card battles.

There's also a sequel now, but I don't know how good it is, or if it's on any of the consoles yet.