• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Deleted member 6223

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
17730-banjo-kazooie-nintendo-64-front-cover.jpg

I remember in September 1998, months after having missed Banjo-Kazooie's initial debut, seeing this game at Walmart's shelves; It really caught my eye as a child, and so with the little cash I purchased it as I seldom bought games on my own.

Well over 20 years later, I absolutely see it's very much a fine platformer, even if there are some flaws. Regardless, having come directly from Super Mario 64 to this game, I was blown away by the variety within the worlds and the level design. The transformations were all hilariously fun too. The controls weren't perfect but given the N64 controller itself, they were as competent as could be and it wasn't too bad there.

I really loved the cartoony artstyle of the game, and it succeeded where many of the other 90's era mascot style platformers failed I feel. The artstyle still had detail to it too, which helped! Incoming screenshots from the Xbox 360 version:

341547-banjo-kazooie-xbox-360-screenshot-gruntilda-s-lair-looms-overhead.jpg

9212774903_f1a2df8990_b.jpg

apps.48982.70668741340697734.d1a736f4-760d-4e5c-a935-8dc9dea7b7b5.8b57d010-1e22-473f-82d7-aa46d57b540d

The music was also absolutely wonderful-Lots of classic tracks by Grant Kirkhope:

It's just a really wonderful game. I haven't played it in about 13 years but I plan on giving B-K (along with Tooie, never played it surprisingly) another go through one way or the other, and hopefully the pair get another chance soon enough in the coming week! Any memories/thoughts you have of Banjo-Kazooie, members of Era?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I go back and play both Kazooie and Tooie at least once year, they are two of my all time faves. Had Tooie first though. On my n64 of course

Garrett 2U

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I absolutely love the game and it's always very charming to go back to. Each of the levels is so iconic and memorable. And who could forget the music, Grant Kirkhope is a legend.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
An odd memory I have of Banjo is I almost never got this game. My mom was going to take me to the store to get it, but when I tried it out at the kiosk for the first time, it somehow didn't leave me with the instant gratification I think I expected it to do, and I ended up getting Yoshi's Story instead since that was a game I'd played at one point and heavily enjoyed.

It wasn't until roughly a year later when a friend of mine came over from out of town and kept talking up the game since he had just gotten it, that I began regretting not jumping on the opportunity to get it the first time around (he didn't bring over the game but he did bring the instruction manual and I used to be a sucker for perusing those back in the day), and it helped that I'd recognize Banjo from Diddy Kong Racing at that point, so I managed to convince my mom to get the game for me some weeks after the fact. Let's just say I looked back on my year-younger self with contempt since it quickly became one of my favorite games on the console.

Thankfully I experienced the game well before Banjo-Tooie came out so I got that one as a birthday gift in 2001.

Blader

Oct 27, 2017
I love this game. It was one of my favorites as a kid and when I replayed it on 360 10 years ago (shit that time just flew by!) I was so pleasantly surprised to see that the game had really held up perfectly. It was as good and fun as I remembered it being.

russbus64

May 1, 2018
Everything about this game is so good. The music and the way it changed based on where you were in the overworld or in a level. The jiggies were a nice mix of discovery and puzzle solving without being obtuse. Note layout guided the player and gave them a tour of the level.

I didn't play Grunty's Revenge until a few months ago. It is surprising how good the gameplay translated over despite the isometric design.

Phantom

Writer at Jeux.ca
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Canada
Back when 3D platformers were all the rage and devs didn't try to squeeze every dollar from their fans.

Byronic Hero

Oct 27, 2017
3D platforming/Collect-a-thon at its finest. Both Kazooie and Tooie are incredible, I remember constantly getting my parents to take me to Blockbuster just to rent B-K so much that at a certain point they just bought it for me. Loved the franchise ever since. From the music to the level design, everything in those games just screams personality.

Zutrax

Oct 31, 2017
I like banjo Kazooie more than Mario 64, it's always been my favorite 3D collectathon game. Love everything about it and I'm very excited for the prospect of a new one this E3.

Kandinsky

Oct 25, 2017
Man I remember how hyped I was when this game was called Project Dream, ahhh to be a teenager again time sure flies... D:

GuEiMiRrIRoW

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Brazil
Played it in january after 10 years. I just... man, memory sometimes decept reality.

I see banjo kazooie as a nice prototype of something that was never created.

I now appreciate mario odissey even more.

AtomicShroom

Tools & Automation
Verified
Oct 28, 2017
This game was an absolute wonder when it came out! I simply couldn't comprehend how Rare were able to make such a non-blurry N64 game with blending textures that seemed to be higher-res than anything I had ever seen on the system prior (and after). It was a technical marvel to witness and the gameplay and level design were just as impeccable and memorable. It's a shame they inevitably got caught up in the "bigger is better" mentality for the sequel. It's like they were never able to properly grasp what made this game so good in the first place.

Xbox Live Mike

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
USA
I remember getting a Banjo-Kazooie VHS tape in the mail, those were more simple times. Back in my day we lucky to watch a 240p video in Quicktime and IGN updated once a day plus we walked 100 miles uphill to Babbages/FuncoLand.

Deleted member 19702

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was the real follow up for Super Mario 64 at the time. In many ways, it was a step up above it. Rare was great at the N64 days and was a really shame Nintendo decided to sell instead of reestructuring the studio. They could have made great works together till today, unlike the shell of it's former self that Rare is now under MS.

Deleted member 13015

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nearly everything is memorable in this game. Characters, level design, the sounds that everything makes, the music.

I get giddy when I start hearing them talk in gibberish on every first play-through. Banjo's Ugh ugh and Kazooie's Wah wah wah.

I think it aged well, I don't find anything hard or awkward when it comes to controls or level design.

Its definitely on my Top 10.
and the funny thing of it all, I played the Xbox 360 first when it came out on Xbox Arcade, not the N64 version.