• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

nStruct

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Seattle, WA
I feel for those that were expecting a story and/or plot in line with the previous entries. Personally I never really cared much for the MGS storylines so what I got with MGSV was a game with exceptional gameplay and I absolutely loved it.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
ehh...it's fine. It had its moments. It wasn't what I wanted, but it was still a good game.

Now, Mass Effect Andromeda on the other hand.

Javier23

Oct 28, 2017
The game was absolutely fantastic. As incredibly disappointing as it may have been in some regards to some people, it could be a loooooooot worse.

I will never stop finding the fan theory that the game was supposed to be disappointing stupid though.

I find it more disappointing that it's a great formula in a really good package that hasn't been iterated upon yet. Kojima is obviously out of the picture and we don't know what MGS6 will be if there's one, but Survive wasn't a step in the right direction. They could have been just as lazy if not more and still added really cool stuff to the game people would still be playing.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
MGSV was a nice change of pace for the series and quite well made. I was never invested in the story aspect of the series, though. It always seemed like the type of thing a 13 year old would find deep but is too cheesy to take seriously.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I don't see the need for the title change. It wasn't hyperbolic or click-baity. MGSV really is one of the most disappointing games ever made.
Thinking it over some more , a game with gameplay that great shouldn't count as one of the most disappointing games ever. But story wise etc MGSV is the most wasted potential in the series.

Deleted member 13155

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Its Jekyll and Hyde.

Its one of the best playing third person games I ever experienced. But on the other hand its one of the most disappointing games I ever endured. The game doesn't even properly end. Its so obvious to see that they just generated 30 ish missions, with a lot of them being filler, and slapped them into the game. The cutscenes were almost randomly inserted and the order they were shown in didn't always make sense. Then some old missions were reused with some modifiers for some reason, though they weren't required.

Fake Snake didn't work. I also didn't buy the narration and the reveal felt like a cheap knockoff of MGS2. The revisited tutorial even has the same prompts as the original one (as if I didn't play it for 50 hrs already), which is cheap. The narration about BB having enemies and thus he was hidden away was weak, Ofcourse he has enemies.

Ground Zeroes had a more interesting narration, almost just as much lines for Snake in the game proper as the entirety of V and a better structured sandbox. It also set up the villain much better. MGS V felt barren compared to GZ.

NuclearCake

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was fine in MGS4. Never liked him in MGS3, and Peace Walker was a straight up joke. Hayter should never have voiced Big Boss.

Kiefer did a fine job. The few lines he does speak are far more impactful then the entirety of Hayter's long winded run in PW.

Absolutely agreed, he should have never voiced Big Boss. Still his performance in MGS4 was so painful to listen to, when i saw the cutscenes in Japanese and realized that Snakes original VA, Akio Ohtsuka didn't change how he voiced the character for all the games and it was a solid and consistent performance through the entire series, it just made Hayter seem laughably bad in comparison. I don't understand why he had to make Snakes voice so raspy in MGS4 to the point where it became absurd. PW was just as bad. Honestly i'm shocked he wasn't replaced way earlier

MGS5 is evidence that kojimas head is so far up his own ass when it comes to story telling and he was and probably still is surrounded by yes men that enable him.

The no camera cut storytelling that basically forced horrible exposition and no development of anyone outside snakes view and the absolute nothing almost mute 'character' that was venom snake through the whole goddamn game for the sake of a twist people guessed from the first damn trailer where horrible decisions. Don't feed me he didn't get to finish the game. The man had 7 years and an almost unlimited budget and that was the story he wanted to tell?

It's such a shame that the best gameplay he designed was wrapped around such a shitty lifeless open world shell and narrative

He had 4-5 years and not 7. MGSV development didn't start until late 2010 when PW wrapped up and the team also had to deal with the yet to be cancelled MGS Rising version before it got handed over to platinum. On top of it they had to simultaneously develop and tweak a brand new engine along side the development of rising and MGSV. MGSV was also the first game that was open world for the series and the team didn't really have experience in that genre. Adapting MGS to that format was probobaly insanely difficulty and required more workload than any other title up until that point. To top this all off MGSV had to be developed for four separate platforms instead of just one and later a PC version was added to the mix. This all had to be done in roughly 4-5 years. That's insane, and i'm honestly amazed that the game is even half as good as it is. There is so much meat to the gameplay in MGS5 and attention to detail that it's honestly staggering. Some crucial story bits were cut but this game far surpasses any other entry in scope and content that calling this game bad is pretty hard to take seriously.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
I can get w/ the thread title based on the mgsv trailers, the trailers really blew me away with the actual game not really meeting that standard. I had heard also before the game launched that one of the themes of the game was Race, which both excited me and made me apprehensive, but he didn't go very far with the topic.

anyway, it's one of my favorite games

AzureFlame

Oct 30, 2017
Kuwait
V's story was extremely disappointing, but the gameplay was alot of fun and i enjoyed it, if i have to pick the most disappointing game it's FFXV without a doubt.

Gamer @ Heart

Oct 26, 2017
Where is this 7 years and unlimited budget coming from?

The cassette tapes give you all the character development of the cast plus more.

The man built a company within a company and convinced Konami executives to spend whatever he needed. I remember it coming out during the hoopla how the audio department alone had a bigger budget than another game entirely. It was only when new management came in that they said "wtf, we are spending how much for that ROI?" that the dominos started to fall.

Listen to what you said. Audio logs, the most contrived story telling method of the last generation and scattered hidden throughout the world that the majority of players will never collect much less hear, is where development happens. Not in the gameplay or cutscenes.

I'm sorry if I come off harsh, I just don't think I've ever turned on a game as hard as this one. That jeep ride broke me and it was all downhill from there.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
i want to say Kingdom Hearts 3 was the biggest waste of potential of this generation, but it kind of seems like longtime fans of the series kind of expected it to be the way it was? so there wasn't much expectation to begin with I guess

in terms of the metal gear series I can see it being the most disappointing, in the sense that it was another numbered title and didn't resemble the other 4 as much

Oct 27, 2017
Honestly? I vastly prefer playing MGSV to any other Metal Gear game. The story of MGS3 is the best, but, if you ask me, no game was really enjoyable to play before V. I always thought they were pretty clunky, while V is by far one of the best playing games ever.

FusionNY

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who isn't a Metal Gear Fan I felt pretty disappointed coming off of Ground Zeroes. Snake's controls are sublime but there's very little interesting things to do with them. The open world consists of wide hallways that lead to not so enthralling areas. The AI is way too easy to exploit so you either gimp yourself for the entire game or choose to make the game brain dead easy. The Mother Base stuff is almost entirely lame. I would have preferred if Phantom Pain was made out of like 6-8 Ground Zeroes style levels like Hitman 2016/2. Still had fun tho.

∀∃:ETURNA

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue that MGS4 is. The pre-release details for that game suggested it would be far more open and dynamic than how it actually turned out to be. Don't even get me started on the story and how nanomachines were used to explain everything away. I feel that factor catalyzed the idea for vocal chord parasites underlying all of the super-human/technological phenomena in MGSV, which I'm not a fan of at all. I understand that MGS as a whole requires a suspension of disbelief, but hinging narrative elements on singular components like that just comes off as lazy to me.

jsnepo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Gameplay - MGS4 is the biggest waste
Story - MGSV is the biggest waste

Though I'm not saying MGS4's story is great.

Betty

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Well based on the new thread title it's still not a waste of potential.

It provided the best open world stealth gameplay ever, it achieved exactly what it set out to do.

It's just the story that needed more to it.

OP
OP
Baphomet

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
It is a waste though , no one is arguing about the gameplay , but the story was an incredible waste, and that game ruined Ocelot by turning him boring.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
Biggest waste of potential in the SERIES? Yeah, I suppose so.

I still really enjoyed the gameplay, though. I just wish the story had nearly as much to it.

Asriel

Dec 7, 2017
Even the gameplay was disappointing with such boring repetitive, environments. They give you lots to do, but you're stuck in a literal sandbox.

Jun 4, 2018
MGSV really just needed to give you the chance to develop Venom. If the game was self-contained in Chapter 1, while you go along as Big Boss, and treated everything else as post-game, maybe it works, as is. Potentially, Episode 51 would have gone a long way, with going into a final boss battle knowing who you really are - maybe that could work. I think really, the game only excels for those dedicated to FOB, because those people actually do get to live out infiltration as Venom, but that segment of the player base is simply way too hardcore for me (and probably for many).

el_galvon

Jun 13, 2019
It's funny because I can totally agree that the game really fails in terms of storytelling, to the point of being incomplete.

But it was not a disappointment to me, quite the contrary actually. I was more positively surprised to see how much fun the game was. I played over 200 hours of it, easily one of this gen's bests.

And I'm huge MGS fan. MGS 3 is probably still my GOAT.

But the thing with MGSV is that I wasn't expecting absolutely nothing huge in therms of story. Big Boss's story was perfectly done in Snake Eater, so Peace Walker really didn't do much for me, feels like it was trying to answer questions that weren't asked.

I can fell TPP as a waste of potential in terms that it doesn't extract even more of its own excellent gameplay. Mechanically is on par with Breath of the Wild, but not as memorable.

QuantumZebra

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That game is fun as fuck to play and that can't be disappointing, especially as MGS3 and 4 were disappointing as hell.

Plus it had some really good moments and I didn't have to fight the equivalent of cartoon network bosses

H9NXnyO.gif

Even though I loved MGS4 I (kinda) get the hate... but 3? That's arguably the best in the series, even amongst non-MGS nerds.

Cantaim

Oct 25, 2017
The Stussining
MGSV is such a painful game for me in 2019. I bought my PS4 to play it when it first came out. And while I loved it while I was playing it. When I finally unlocked the last story related mission and played it. The main thought I had was "damn if this game just had another 2 years of development time. It'd be my game of the generation hands down." But since I don't live in that world. what I got was my game of the year. That completely shits the bed at the half way point.

*also I think Ground Zeros was the better game

Jon God

Oct 28, 2017
I put 180 hours into it, and platinum'd it.

I liked it, but it had issues. As for biggest waste of potential? Blame Konami.

Hugare

Banned
Aug 31, 2018
It's not even the most disappointing or unfinished MGS game. That was MGS4.
You may not like MGS4, but calling it "incomplete" is just wrong.
For starters, it had an ending (and what an ending it was). And it had real bosses.

MGS V is fun as it is, and I don't think it's that much incomplete.
But to me, It's my biggest disappointment in gaming because it could have been the best game ever.

Over and over again I was saying to myself "Kojima, why you did this and not that?". So many baffling design choices.

Gameplay is perfection, tho

Gush

Nov 17, 2017
I'd go with 4, but V dropped the ball as well. The opportunity to do a proper sequel to MGS2 and expand on its ideas was too good to be true, so naturally they completely dodged that and went with a goofy fan service romp instead. That stung me much more than anything in MGSV, which I more or less enjoyed once I got over the hump of "this isn't the MGS I know and love", which it isn't, and that's OK.

MGSV's main problems are the anemic narrative, Quiet and the difficulty being a cakewalk compared to GZ, but it's still a good game fundamentally. Can't say that anything in MGS4 holds up nearly as well as MGSV's core mechanics, especially once the initial wow factor wore off and you were stuck with Mr and Mrs. Smith Meryl/Johnny, nanomachines, B&B Unit and inane twists like the radio team from MGS3 being the true masterminds all along with very little gameplay to make up for it. It also showed a lack of respect for the characters and their prior developments (esp Meryl and Raiden), seemingly putting what the audience wanted over any coherent vision. If MGS2 is the game that subverts, mocks and chastises fan expectations, MGS4 is the one that accepts and panders to them, and that's a shame considering it's a direct sequel to a game that had such a Fuck You approach at times.

On another note, it's a shame MGSV's hardcore mod doesn't seem to work with current patches. It went a long way toward fixing the lack of a challenge and there doesn't seem to be anything since that serves the same function, though I could be wrong about that. I'd love nothing more than a version of MGSV that has the same urgency and danger as GZ instead of the blind and deaf opposition we got. Of course it won't make Venom any more of a character or make the locations you infiltrate any more developed, but at least you'd get some of the tension present in every other MG/MGS game.

RecRoulette

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I really wish MGSV was more like Ground Zeroes. That's the biggest disappointment for me. Going from Ground Zeroes to like a scattering of locations that were much less exciting to explore and play around in

I'm sorry if I come off harsh, I just don't think I've ever turned on a game as hard as this one. That jeep ride broke me and it was all downhill from there.

That game is so lucky that Quiet exists and has a number of terrible scenes because the jeep ride with Sins of the Father playing could've been one of the worst scenes in the series all by itself. Thinking back on Snake and Skullface staring at each other in silence as the music plays is making me laugh all over again

Indelible

Oct 27, 2017
Canada
I agree, got the game free with a graphics card and still felt ripped off. It had good gameplay but you end up doing the same repetitive loop over and over. It had a very forgettable story which is a shame since the trailers leading to release made it seem so epic.

Oct 29, 2017
I got way too bogged down in the resource collection aspect of it and it got boring pretty quick. The absolute 'WTF' story missions didnt help either.

VaporSnake

Oct 28, 2017
Place the MGS5 gameplay within the Peace Walker story and you end up with a game that could have pleased everyone I think. Peace Walker having more of the charm that MGS fans expect is still kind of shocking, it even does the thing that MGS5 advertised it was going to do "The fall of Big Boss" and all that, cept it worked better in Peace Walker since it...actually happened, by the final cutscene of PW big boss has clearly entered villain territory. I think it's telling that Kojima wanted to call Peace Walker "MGS5" but Konami wouldn't let him.

Love the gameplay of MGS5, hate the story. Hate the gameplay of Peace Walker, love the story. (Hate the gameplay is strong, it was a psp title, it's just hard to play it and not imagine what could have been..)

Jun 4, 2018
Isn't it more Kojima's fault for wasting so much money for so long that they had to force him to rush it?

Nah. When you've got blockbuster brands like Silent Hill, Castlevania, Metal Gear, and so on, and do nothing with them, with the exception of running them into the ground, you don't get the benefit of the doubt. If Kojima was the only developer they burned a bridge with, that would be one thing. He isn't. Kojima may be guilty of some oversights with MGSV (or whatever games), but when it comes down to the split itself - be real about it. This man didn't leave Konami and end up at Grasshopper: SONY made him a priority, and his whole team followed him. That speaks for itself, if you ask me.

Prefty

Banned
Jun 4, 2019
I spent thousands (100s) of hours in this game and i'm still dissapointed, it hurts, the gameplay is so good, the base management is beast but the lack of variety hurts the game so much, I would like to think not only the story was unfinished but the map and some gameplay elements too.

I've played the older MGS like 40 times each (no joke, as a kid I ussually played MGS1/2/3 out of boredom and I also used to complete them within the day) but not MGSV, Ground Zeroes however was good, very good.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah. For all its flaws and narrative gaps, FFXV at least stuck the landing. MGSV didn't even stay in the damn stadium.
Exactly.

And it wouldn't have taken much for me.... I didn't mind the tapes, or the infrequent cutscenes comparative to the previous games... if it had a great ending story wise, if it had come together and left some kind of impact (which, for all its flaws. FFXV nails), I could overlook a lot of the game's issues.

Pankratous

Oct 26, 2017
MGSV was one of the worst games I've played. Movement and shooting felt like an improvement on previous entries, but pretty much everything else was worse - particularly the story, characters and charm.

The open world was a huge disservice as well. Terrible. Should have just been multiple Ground Zeroes like areas.

Nilou

Oct 25, 2017
I've always played the MGS series for the story, character development and world, I couldn't care less about the gameplay of the series and I detest open world games. I pre-ordered the collectors edition instantly and got it day one. In my entire life I've never regretted a game purchase as much as I do that game. I found it trash in every single way between the boring bland openworld (ugh open world games, easily the worst trend in gaming moreso then lootboxes and dlc...) the combat was okay but again I couldn't care less about combat in an MGS game, the complete joke on a story and unfinished one at that and like you said Quiet being an absolute disgrace. To me the series ended with the amazing MGS4. It makes forgetting MGS5's existence all the more easier.

Oct 27, 2017
I grew up a huge MGS nerd (loved the lore, characters, everything), so I just remember finishing the game super late and just sitting there slack jawed that it ended this way. Still probably the angriest/disappointed I've ever been in a game, while the gameplay was dope it felt like a completely different game with an MGS skin over it. That game is the reason I'm probably not going to buy Death Stranding.

Poohblaster

The Fallen
Oct 31, 2017
It's my favorite Metal Gear Solid game. I like it the most because it's the most fun to play. I always roll my eyes at MGS fans who come to the games looking to be entertained by the story. Kojima's writing is bad, like Harry Potter fan fiction bad.