• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Uzumaki Goku

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Let's just go into the obvious. Yeah, Kojima should've treated Hayter better (he had been trying to replace him as Snake for years)

As for Sutherland as Snake, the whole excuse of "more advanced facial captures" was really dumb. Sutherland just sounds all wrong as Snake. Not to mention since Snake is a silent protagonist, what's the point of even changing his voice at all?

This was all because Kojima wants B-list celebrities for his games.. which he pretty much did for Death Stranding (and Troy Baker)

rude

Oct 25, 2017
he was fine. wasn't given enough material to work with to have a more in-depth opinion than that.

Serpens007

Well, Tosca isn't for everyone
Oct 31, 2017
Chile
I liked it actually. Feels like an older Big Boss, but not quite Big Boss which ends up making sense.

Wrexis

Nov 4, 2017
Tbh, in hindsight if I were an Konami exec it probably would have been one of the first red flags.
Was he worth the money? Nah.

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
loved any scene he could actually speak, but in general he wasn't given enough material in the actual campaign. i don't care about the fact that he gets more time on codecs calls, even if he's excellent in those.

PlanetSmasher

The Abominable Showman
Oct 25, 2017
A complete waste of money. Snake with Kiefer in the driver's seat was barely even a character.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
He has like twelve lines in the game, I don't think anything of him at all

BrickArts295

GOTY Tracking Thread Master
Oct 26, 2017
Great cast, he just didn't get enough to work with in the cutscenes. He's pretty great in the audio cassettes.

Darren

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Absolutely awful. He sounded like he wanted to be anywhere but recording for the game.

Originalshez

Jan 16, 2021
Kiefer was fine. The quantity of material was the issue. The few extended scenes he got I think he did a pretty good job. I loved Hayter as Snake but he had almost become a self-parody by MGS4

As an aside, I think it worked in DS better having the actors. Mads, Reedus, TEJ and the rest were all stellar IMO

APizzaPie

Oct 27, 2017
I didn't mind because the dude in MGS Ground Zeroes/5 wasn't Snake. Also, he barely had any dialogue.

closer

Oct 25, 2017
It wasn't the intent since i hear the japanese va remained the same, but having ks voice snake really lent a weird unnerving quality to the char that i thought worked pretty well.

Same with the lack of va in general, the char was often left to their own thoughts and in the rare times they spoke it was very odd feeling, i liked it

KORNdog

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
Terrible. Under delivered and it felt like the actual script was cut super short for the sake of Mr Hollywood's time. I don't know if it was. But that's how it FELT. And considering it was the last mainline MGS That we may EVER see. It felt pointless getting rid of hayter who WAS that character through the entire series.

Just felt like Kohima chasing after that Hollywood experience for the sake of...nothing.

Oct 30, 2017
I'm still rolling my eyes to the back of my head with Kojima silly obsession with Hollywood for choosing Kevin over the iconic David.

Humanity

Aug 31, 2019
He was fine, but like everyone said, not enough lines to really be worth it or to be really able to judge it. I wish they gave him more material to work with it because I think there was potential there.

Deleted member 17210

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I didn't really care either way as I only really play Metal Gear games for the gameplay. He seemed fine from what I recall but probably not worth spending extra money on.

Listai

50¢
Oct 27, 2017
I thought he was fine.

But I haven't liked Hayter's performance since MGS2. Snake just began to sound too gurgly and cartoonish.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
He did really well. Would've liked to see him do more... y'know, just more, because the stuff he did was pretty nice. Hayter was hella rough during 4 and PW, his throat was definitely going out, but he would have probably still done a good job. So, anyway, Kiefer did a great job.

BassForever

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
CT
I don't think much of the performance since the character had almost no lines. Of course you can ask the question did the character have no lines because K.S. was too expensive and the answer is probably yes.

nachum00

Oct 26, 2017
Dude had like 60 lines in a 60 hour game.

Wasn't worth the cost and wasn't worth the drama.

J_ToSaveTheDay

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
USA
On-paper, no issues.

In execution, he was not available enough or Konami was not wiling to fund his involvement enough to be noteworthy, ultimately. I don't know the exact story, but it's clear his contributions got cut short of the game's actual ambitions.

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
Felt thematically appropriate having a new VA for him in Phantom Pain, but not in Ground Zeroes.
I thought he did alright with what he had to work with, but I'm not exactly a fan of him in general. Would have much rather had Hayter for the role.

The Unsent

Oct 25, 2017
Should have let Hayter voice Big Boss in the twist ending imo. They could have said that Ground Zeroes was the medic's distorted or manipulated memory of the events and why in retrospective that 'Big Boss' had Sutherland's voice as well..

Dio

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think much of the performance since the character had almost no lines. Of course you can ask the question did the character have no lines because K.S. was too expensive and the answer is probably yes.
he has hours of stuff on codec calls. it was a conscious choice from Kojima to make him talk less on the campaign.

Oct 25, 2017
The game was so bad I didn't get far enough into it to really determine if the totality of his acting job was poor, but I remembered not having any issues with it initially.

Thorn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't remember a single line of dialogue from Snake in 5.

Give an unceremonious boot to one of the most iconic voices in gaming for a celebrity who says like 5 lines.

Still leaves a sour taste in my mouth.

FooF

One Winged Slayer
Mar 24, 2020
can't imagine David doing GZ + 5 with how phoned in the lines for peace walker were. I was happy about the switch but he didn't have enough lines unless you listned to the audio cassets

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Good enough, biggest problem with Venom Snake was paper thin script.

Druffmaul

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account.
Banned
Oct 24, 2018
His performance was perfectly fine, I just saw absolutely zero reason to ditch David Hayter and I still think that was a really stupid dick move for Kojima to make. And I don't buy any of the "It makes sense if you know the plot twist" crap, because Akio Otsuka voiced Snake in every single JP version from MGS1 to MGSV. Even Solidus Snake in MGS2.

Last edited:

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
He was fine as Snake, it's just the fact that he gets basically no lines in the game.
He was certainly a much better cast than Troy Baker as Ocelot.

Oct 27, 2017
Why would they have used Hayter? It wasn't Big Boss. Did I forget ? Did big boss have his voice too?

MrCibb

Dec 12, 2018
UK
He was fine. In the audio tapes where he was actually given stuff to say, particularly the ones you unlocked at the end of the game where it's the real Big Boss speaking, I think he sounded great. If he'd had more material to work with all through-out the game I think he would have given a great performance but that was Kojima's decision. As for the lack of Hayter, didn't bother me. I always thought Big Boss and Solid Snake should have had different voice actors anyways.