• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
With the release of the Sonic movie, I thought it would be worth looking back at the animation that was first described as "Sonic the Hedgehog Movie". I'm talking about the Sonic OVA developed by Sega Enterprises, General Entertainment and Studio Pierrot.The Sonic movie is an often forgotten part of Sonic's history that doesn't get referenced very often, nor do things like its musical tracks get included in musical compilations.

MV5BMTM2NjQxMzE0MV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwODQ0OTQyMQ@@._V1_UY268_CR3,0,182,268_AL_.jpg

Originally released in Japan as a two-part rental only Japanese OVA in 1996, a compilation of both episodes "Welcome to Eggmanland" and "Sonic Vs. Metal Sonic" was released as Sonic the Movie in 1999. Fans of the franchise at the time might have received their first exposure of the OVA from an inclusion of a trailer in the the Saturn Sonic collection "Sonic Jam".

I, for one, watched this trailer on repeat for years. I was enthralled by the notion that this animation was out there and wished that we would see it stateside.

The movie pulls a lot of inspiration from Sonic CD, with the main protagonist of the movie being Metal Sonic. Eggman seeks the aid of Sonic after a "Metal Robotnik" has taken up reign in Robotropolis. With this Metal Robotnik posing a threat to all of the world, Sonic agrees to help. When arriving at Robotropolis Sonic is confronted by Metal Robotnik, only to discover that it's actually Eggman in disguise. It's then revealed that the entire scheme was a plot to capture Sonic and copy his DNA for a sinister mental version of him: Metal Sonic. Accordingly, Sonic, Tails, and Knuckles must defeat Eggman and Metal Sonic before they plunge the world into chaos.

DpRDEqnXcAE-y2g.jpg

The film is reasonably fun with some great animation, especially when compared to other Sonic animations of the time (looking at you Underground). It has some extra characters that don't add much (Sarah the princess, Oldman Owl, etc.) but the general depiction of Sonic and crew are relatively spot on. The western dub is...not great. It also get some basic aspects incorrect, such as calling Knuckles a Mole and a strange line that claims Knuckles is Sonic's best friend. DVD copies enabled you to change the dub to Japanese which is more manageable.

Oddly the movie has seemingly fallen into legal limbo and there hasn't been a reprint of the DVD for over a decade. Copies of the movie go for quite a lot online and there isn't any word of a re release. Luckily, you can find the full movie online for free on YouTube. I won't provide a link, but it's fairly easy to find.

Anyone else remember this movie fondly?

Oct 25, 2017
Milwaukee, WI
Oh my god I fucking love the English dub. It is legit, so complete fucking amateurish that I couldn't stop laughing through the whole thing. We're talking Mega Man 8 levels of bad.

That said, I like this movie. It has a really empty world feel to it like early episodes of Dragon Ball.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Metal Sonic scenes were pretty badass.

3C6952942BB8C783E794DD86EF194D93E0999423

Overall is still the best Sonic cartoon. They really nailed Sonic's character compared to pretty much the rest of the cartoons. Metal Sonic was also a cool villain in how
he fights to show he's the real Sonic and basically kim himself when he loses and realizes he isn't.

lazygecko

Oct 25, 2017
I haven't seen the movie. I've only listened to a podcast (Jim Sterling's offshoot movie podcast I think) going through the plot and for some reason I remember the main takeaway being that the portrayal of Sonic came across as surprisingly mean-spirited.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
It's worth mentioning that Eggman is pervy as hell in the movie as well. He actively wants to marry Sarah, who is presumably a teenager, and he buys her clothes to wear. Tails also has a strange moment with Sarah in the film, which comes off as strange as well.

MrWindUpBird

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Honestly, it's my favorite thing to have ever come out of Sonic. I watched when it came out on VHS and loved and still do this day.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I haven't seen the movie. I've only listened to a podcast (Jim Sterling's offshoot movie podcast I think) going through the plot and for some reason I remember the main takeaway being that the portrayal of Sonic came across as surprisingly mean-spirited.

I don't see how? it felt like regular Sonic to me (Unleashed, Colors style... not 06 shit), he even (ending spoilers)
try to save Metal

It's worth mentioning that Eggman is pervy as hell in the movie as well. He actively wants to marry Sarah, who is presumably a teenager, and he buys her clothes to wear. Tails also has a strange moment with Sarah in the film, which comes off as strange as well.

Yeah Sarah was such a shit character. The standard anime waifu to joke at with sexualized jokes.

Serenitynow

Oct 25, 2017
When I was in grade school, my friend and I would play out this movie in our after school program. One of us would be Sonic, the other Metal Sonic, and we would essentially just run circles around the gym, as if testing who was the superior (fastest) Sonic.

Invariably, whoever was Metal Sonic would end the game by pretending to sink into lava and saying, in a robotic voice, "THERE IS ONLY ONE SONIC."

Times were simpler then.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Probably the closest thing we'll ever get to the Sonic CD intro in OVA form. The dub is hilariously bad and the story is silly as all get out but it's a visual treat and one of the better interpretations of Sonic in general.

I'm also amused thinking back with the constant obsession with trying to pair Sonic up with a human girlfriend, from way back in the original concept art to this movie to Sonic 06, it's equal parts disconcerting and hilarious.

AwakenedCloud

Oct 27, 2017
The western dub is...not great.

Take that back, you coward! Euro Sonic is only voice I've enjoyed for the character outside of Drummond. It did a good job toeing the line of talkative, cartoonish, and kind of arrogant - which felt right at home for the character. Strange, isn't it?!

I think Knuckles calling Sonic his best friend is fine since it's coming from Knuckles and that sentiment doesn't have to be reciprocal.

The biggest tragedy is how we never got a proper mix of the soundtrack. The South Island theme is FANTASTIC.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
I don't see how? it felt like regular Sonic to me (Unleashed, Colors style... not 06 shit), he even (ending spoilers)
try to save Metal

I could see Sonic being interpreted as rude, especially towards Tails and Sarah. But I feel like that fits in with his general personality.

Take that back, you coward! Euro Sonic is only voice I've enjoyed for the character outside of Drummond. It did a good job toeing the line of talkative, cartoonish, and kind of arrogant - which felt right at home for the character. Strange, isn't it?!

Sonic's voice actor isn't the worst, but he has like a hint of something that just doesn't fit for me. Tails' voice performance is excruciating and Sarah's isn't great either. I actually kind of like Knuckle's voice actor and Eggman's isn't terrible.

I agree about the music though, the south island theme is great. I also have an odd love for "Look-Alike", despite its lyrics being pretty much nonsense.

Mesoian

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 28, 2017
It is still the single best piece of sonic related animation to date.

Iacomus

Dec 26, 2018

I think Knuckles calling Sonic his best friend is fine since it's coming from Knuckles and that sentiment doesn't have to be reciprocal.

The biggest tragedy is how we never got a proper mix of the soundtrack. The South Island theme is FANTASTIC.

I remember hearing this song it was so catchy and upbeat...and still is. Wow.

Runner

Nov 1, 2017
it was always wierd how knuckles had that hat (i suppose they eventually gave that to nack) and also could just.. fly. not glide but outright superman style flying.

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017

Strange isn't it?

Could not resist

Love the OVA its great, Knuckles needs his hat again.

Zen Hero

Oct 25, 2017
This is probably my favorite depiction of the main cast's personalities: Sonic, Tails, Knuckles, and Eggman. They all feel right to me. They have the right balance of silliness and attitude I think.

I also like the dub, I don't understand why people are saying it's so bad. It's a cartoon dub for sure but I think it works for the tone the movie goes for. The only character I don't like is the owl.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
I kinda wish this would get a redub with the official game cast.

I still own the VHS version of this. I just remember as a kid who watched SAT AM & Adventures of... that it was cool to FINALLY see Knuckles appear, even if I questioned "what's with the hat?"....and also I was a little baffled by Knuckles getting mad at Tails landing on Sarah & being all "I thought you'd never stoop so low", along with Sonic making a bunch of weird faces after Metal Sonic crashed into Robotnik's little ship & Sarah is kicking it....the days of innocence....

Also no joke, my best friend of 20 years drew me a "get better" card with the "MY HAT'S ON FIRE!" scene because we thought that part was so funny & I still have that card.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It might be the nostalgia but this is still, unironically, my favourite piece of Sonic media.

jman2050

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Neither of those come close to the OVA, come on now.

The actual answer is the Sonic CD opening, but there's the mitigating factors that one is a minute and a half long and is literally designed to be little more than an animation showcase while the other is 60 minutes and has like, an actual story and voice acting and other cool things that make it work.

Lagamorph

Wrong About Chicken
Oct 26, 2017
My first exposure to this was Sonic Jam as well, I loved that trailer.

Then I got the VHS after it was advertised for mail order in Sonic the Comic (superior UK Fleetway version), and I loved every minute of it.

Mr Swine

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Sweden
Sonic Ova was never good. The plot stinks (Why is sonic gullible, why is the presidents daughter with Eggman and why the hell is knuckles flying, wearing a hat and is smart), the voices are horrible and the art direction is the only thing that is ok.

Larrikin

Oct 25, 2017
I love this movie. Its so cheesy and fun. Definitely some aspects have aged terribly but overall its a hilarious romp.

Strange, isn't it?

Sacul64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Sonic Ova was never good. The plot stinks (Why is sonic gullible, why is the presidents daughter with Eggman and why the hell is knuckles flying, wearing a hat and is smart), the voices are horrible and the art direction is the only thing that is ok.
8340.jpg

Okay Eggman, your just mad you lost again.

evilromero

Oct 27, 2017
My daughter and I love this movie. We watch it pretty often, maybe once a month or so. Really a shame we didn't get a few more like this before modern Sonic ruined everything.

Deleted member 5745

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie. I remember freaking out when I found the VHS at Suncoast, had to beg my parents to get it.

Thankfully years later I nabbed the DVD before it went out of print.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
Loved this movie. I remember freaking out when I found the VHS at Suncoast, had to beg my parents to get it.

Thankfully years later I nabbed the DVD before it went out of print.
I feel like I got my first copy at a Suncoast or Virgin MegaStore. I remember it being $26 and thinking that was an insane amount for a DVD. I also owned the 2nd printing of it with the cover I posted above, but even those prints you can't find anymore. Copies go for between $50-100 on ebay now and days.

At one point I definitely owned both versions of the DVD, but as life would have it they both burned in an apartment fire. C'est la vie.

Mg.

Oct 25, 2017
This thing was my obsession back in the days. The music absolutely ripped.

Tizoc

Oct 25, 2017
Oman
Metal Sonic scenes were pretty badass.

3C6952942BB8C783E794DD86EF194D93E0999423

Overall is still the best Sonic cartoon. They really nailed Sonic's character compared to pretty much the rest of the cartoons. Metal Sonic was also a cool villain in how
he fights to show he's the real Sonic and basically kim himself when he loses and realizes he isn't.
Yeah metal sonic scenes were great
I think it is a decent ova all things said and done.

Zan

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Icy Water, Steak and Cow
Auttum this year and last year
What I say and what I think
ABCD.

Joltik

Oct 25, 2017
It is still the single best piece of sonic related animation to date.
I don't know about that, but I would say it's the best piece of Sonic animation where Sonic talks.

And yet it's still better than most of the various Sonic animated series that aired over the decades.

Horohorohoro

Jan 28, 2019
This Sonic/the Sonic CD opening Sonic is 100% my favorite interpretation of his design, even beating out Tyson Hesse's Sonic for me. The movie also had a sick soundtrack for sure, and I remember watching it over and over again like 14 years ago when I had the DVD.

OP
OP
Rapscallion

Rapscallion

Oct 25, 2017
There's a strange connection with the 2020 Sonic movie in that

they both feature a completely non-series related older Owl

Rotobit

Editor at Nintendo Wire
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Love this movie, mostly for the aesthetics though. It's basically the Sonic CD cutscenes but a whole movie, and the soundtrack is amazing.

Also this scene is so cheesy and great