• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Here's a neat video showcasing the game when it was first revealed. The differences of this video and what the game is today are quite the contrast.

A few things I would have liked from this video to stay and release in the actual game are:

The hostages realism: Just wow. Also, she actually talks and talks to the drone at that.

Destruction: The way walls blow up and look. Just beautiful.

The rappelling from the helicopter: This would effectively eliminate spawn peaking if in every match we'd have to rappel from a helicopter and would encourage a different point of attack on all maps by creating different points of entry from above. Though rappelling from a helicopter from above in every map would also come with it's annoyinces as well. Though I will add that it does look cool/nice to actually appear from somewhere rather than teleporting into the map.

What are some of the things you guys/gals wish would have made it to the game and what would you have changed/removed?

Deleted member 2254

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
That reveal was incredible, too bad the actual game had barely anything to do with that. The hostage, in particular, is basically a doll in the actual game, this trailer dramatized that role's presence so hard. Everything looks a lot more spectacular, but that's unfortunately how it goes for most E3 trailers. The helicopter rappeling would have been great indeed. On the upside, the full game is actually pretty great, and it found quite a large playerbase against all odds of a meh launch. Good on them. I still hope we get a game like the one seen in this trailer one day.

EDIT: Just finished watching the video and it's hilarious.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That reveal was incredible, too bad the actual game had barely anything to do with that. The hostage, in particular, is basically a doll in the actual game, this trailer dramatized that role's presence so hard. Everything looks a lot more spectacular, but that's unfortunately how it goes for most E3 trailers. The helicopter rappeling would have been great indeed. On the upside, the full game is actually pretty great, and it found quite a large playerbase against all odds of a meh launch. Good on them. I still hope we get a game like the one seen in this trailer one day.

EDIT: Just finished watching the video and it's hilarious.

Agree.

And yeah, to think that people actually play like that and what people actually play like in the game is hilarious lol actually, the only game where I can remotely compare the communication in this video to is SOCOM. I/people actually communicated like that haha miss that game so much.

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The behavior of the hostage was so damn impressive but I believe even the gameplay they then showed on the showfloor already revealed that this was smoke and mirrors.

Rocketz

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Metro Detroit
The game did look similar to this when it was first shown. But yeah a lot of the stuff was different.

The helicopter may work for some maps but it doesn't really help anything if it's always in the same spot. Plus people can listen for rappelling and prep windows for run outs and just take you out during the animation.

Kalentan

Oct 25, 2017
The destructability was on that level in the actual game but they said after further testing they found that level of destruction was actually not good for tactical gameplay.

Edit: not to mention super hard to balance and make maps around.

Brazil

Actual Brazilian
Oct 24, 2017
São Paulo, Brazil
I played the game behind closed doors before it'd been unveiled, and the only really big design difference between then and what exists in the game now that I can remember is that destructibility was way more dramatic. You could wreck entire walls with little to no effort.

ChoklitCow

Oct 27, 2017
Muncie, IN
Video cracks me up. I remember by 2015 E3 they announced terrorist hunt and the game play they showed on screen more or less looked like the game we got.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
That drone might be the first time something looked worse in a Ubi reveal trailer compared to the actual game

That drone looked like a flashlight 🤣 like wtf was that?
The game did look similar to this when it was first shown. But yeah a lot of the stuff was different.

The helicopter may work for some maps but it doesn't really help anything if it's always in the same spot. Plus people can listen for rappelling and prep windows for run outs and just take you out during the animation.

They could have made it where defenders couldn't attack until the "rappelling fase" was over. Just a thought. Or perhaps eliminating running out all together idk but regardless I'm extremely happy with the game we have today and definitely look forward to what's ahead in the coming years.

Perhaps we'll get a R6S2.

Nooblet

Oct 25, 2017
1) The destruction seen in the reveal would have fucked the game balance up. That's the entire reason it's not in the game eventhough the engine can quite obviously support it. The pre launch version of the game had this destruction, people actually played the game with this kind of destruction (you can see from Brazil's post above that he played it in that state)

It was toned down not because it was too much for the hardware to handle and "fake". It was toned down because the game would have been fuckin horrible to play with it. Why else do you think there are so many walls in the game that you can shoot through and see through but not pass because they have steel bars reinforcing them preventing you to pass through? The fact that you can destroy it and shoot a man sized hole that you can see through means the engine supports being able to destroy the floor and ceiling and walls to pass through and the only thing preventing you from going through the hole are the steel bars which are obviously placed there to prevent you from doing that for game balancing purpose.

2) Rappelling on roof means defenders know exactly where you are RIGHT from the moment the round starts. That is not good either.

3) The smoke and particle effects and the lighting are too obstructive. Infact Siege originally had that lighting pre release, but was changed for visibility. And even that wasn't enough as the lighting was further changed and simplified over time to improve visibility back in 2016. Because before that looking outside from inside the building and vice versa was really difficult. And explosions created a lot of smoke that persisted for a long time. All of this was changed and simplified to make things even and competitive.

4) They even changed the smoke particles from physically interactive particles that collided with the geometry and "grew" over time to just simplistic particles that immediately covered an area and even clipped through walls. Again for balancing purpose.

5) Also...no one plays hostage.

6) Run outs are a necessity as otherwise Attackers have no pressure and way too comfortable outside holding angles with their ACOGs. So I hope it stays in Siege. Spawn peeking is also fair game because no one dies in spawn itself, but rather if they don't check the obvious spots that watch the areas that immediately follow the spawn. The defenders are never comfortable even when inside, so why should the attackers be 100% comfortable with no risk at every single place when outside? There are plenty of outside areas with 0 risks in every map anyway, but there are none inside for defenders.

A LOT of changes for Siege happened due to balancing because what looks cool as shit in the trailer would not be fun to play. After 1000+ hours of Siege I can comfortably say that I would definitely not want to play the game shown in reveal because it'd be annoying as hell, unbalanced and would come down to luck a lot more than it should.

Last edited:

Ehoavash

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Lol this reminds me of what the initial game was gonna be, Rainbow six Patriots

I remember reading this back in 2012? And being excited for it ...what could have been :x

Cover1FullSize.jpg

Assenzio

Alt account
Banned
Mar 18, 2019
The game did look like that. That cuts were to have stable 60fps and for balancing reasons ( destruction like that madr defending simply impossible).

The hostage thing could be like this even now, but it would be huge waste of resources-. The hostage ha to stay still or one risks ti shoot him/her while shooting or trying to rescue it.

The only real loss was graphics due to consoles, everything else was cool to see but would have been rubbish to play

Komo

Info Analyst
Verified
Jan 3, 2019
Still can't believe there were people who thought this was real when it was first shown.

I mean it was real in a sense sure that footage we saw was "real" but heavily scripted all those features were working.. The wall destruction was impossible to keep balanced as they had mentioned during a QnA basically the entire map would be destroyed to the point where it would be impossible to do anything. Also performance would tank because of it.

Rappelling from the heli was removed because that basically ruined any chance of stealth, and with current siege you really play around on that. So a heli in would let them know exactly where you were.

Same with the hostages, she would almost be a traitor because of how easily she'd tell them where your drones are.

Overflow

Oct 29, 2017
Wollongong
I swear we have this thread on this trailer every year since launch haha. Is definitely a whole other world. Would love to see what a next gen Siege might look like, balance be damned.

OP
OP
Cpt-GargameL

Cpt-GargameL

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The target render was pretty cool. Would like to see them give singleplayer another shot

That video was rough. Damn, poor guy. I can't believe I've never seen this. It reminded me of Spec-Ops for some reason (amazing game that I wish got a sequel) though I'm glad that we got what we got.

TheBaldwin

Feb 25, 2018
I also remember (people) myself including that didn't care for what was shown and just wanted to see pure terrorist hunt.

Man, amazing what the game became. Alot of that is over the top, especially the destruction, but that destruction looks really unbalanced.