• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Driving games. They dominate my total play time across all 3 consoles and PC.

One of my goals this year is to spend less money on "other" games and actually get myself a wheel and pedals setup.

Dec 28, 2020
Subcon
Anything with loot in it lately. Easy to pick up and play for a bit and feel like I accomplished something. Played an unhealthy amount of Warframe last year. Just picked Destiny 2 up and starting to fall deeper down the rabbit hole.

Clive

Oct 25, 2017
Single player action adventure games and RPGs, often with open worlds, since that's what I enjoy playing the most. Looking at my top played games on PS and Xbox is entirely predictable. The Forza Horizon series is pretty much the only exception. I rarely play racing games but I love that franchise.

Jan 10, 2018
Heh, always a tough one! I love Gran Turismo - anticipation for 7 is ultimately why I own a PS5 - as well as a lot of Codemasters stuff. Dirt Rally 2.0 is one of the games of this gen for me, and I enjoy the F1 games. Sunk a lot of time into American Truck Simulator too.

Have you played Forza Horizon? I fell in love with the fourth game recently, and especially the drifting part.

eXistor

Oct 27, 2017
SIngle player rpg's by far with a healthy smattering of shoot 'em ups and action/platformers (mostly 2D).

PuppetMinion

The Fallen
Nov 1, 2017
MSVuMsY.jpg

Yeah, I like open world games. This is steam, Borderlands 2 I mainly played with friends on console, so that one is waaaaay higher in reality

Oct 27, 2017
Have you played Forza Horizon? I fell in love with the fourth game recently, and especially the drifting part.

Yeah I've played 2, 3 and 4. All 3 are amongst my most played Xbox games. Perhaps weirdly though I like but don't love Horizon. They look amazing and play super well, there's just something about them that's never fully clicked for me. I prefer the Motorsport arm of Forza - although ideally I'm still pining for Microsoft to revive Project Gotham Racing, and provide a track racer with some of the Horizon series swagger and arcade style.

Last edited:

Zaber

Alt account
Banned
Sep 11, 2019
All types of rpgs, be they action, turn-based, tactical or insert sub-genre here. It's not even close and I am not surprised. It has been the same for the past 20 years.

CaptainDreads

Nov 7, 2017
Competitive multiplayer games in practically any genre. Particularly if there's not much in the way of character progression.
I really like the feeling of getting better myself rather than being stronger just because I have more hours in the game.

Danstanster

Oct 25, 2017
WinDirStat, that HDR fix software for Yakuza: Like a Dragon, Gungeon, Tetris 99. I think I've been possibly moving for months so I've been holding off on playing SW Squadron until I can find and hook up my X52 stick.

ThreepQuest64

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Germany
Surprisingly lot in Fallout 4 despite it not being a good Fallout, actually a bad Fallout and only an above average game but it still kept me motivated despite it's many many shortcomings. I think I have slightly above 150h on it which is more than most games I've been playing. I'm usually not that type of gamer who spend hundreds of hours in a single game, Overwatch and TW3 being the exception.

rickyson33

Banned
Nov 23, 2017
Idle games(mostly because I almost never turn my computer off so that kind of thing tends to just be kept running a lot)

i've sunk a couple thousand hours into path of exile because I keep going back to it periodically

i've probably spent somewhere close to a thousand hours on all the trails games i've played combined at this point which definitely beats out anything that isn't "endless" like the other stuff I mentioned

Umineko is ridiculously long as well with my steam page showing nearly 200 hours for the "question" and "answer" arcs combined(although some unknown amount of that was just leaving it running)

various card games over the years(primarily an unknown but probably pretty high amount of time on hearthstone way back until I got sick of it and 600 or so hours of eternal until I got fed up with how many hoops that game makes you jump through if the only mode you care about is draft)

various other things I have no way of tracking actual time spent on such as a bunch of diablo 2/civilization 3 way back among other things

Lobster Roll

signature-less, now and forever
Sep 24, 2019
In the last few years, I have play a wiiiiide variety of single player games, but the cracks are always filled with battle royale games. Like any time I want to shut my brain off and just play something with a rewarding loop, it's a BR game. And that time adds up haha

ghostcrew

The Shrouded Ghost
Administrator
Oct 27, 2017
Multiplayer/social stuff mainly. I struggle to care too much about solitary, story games when my friends are always wanting to play something. Especially during this year when I can't actually see anyone outside of my house. I spend enough time on my own...

I have like 1,500 hours in Sea of Thieves probably (no hour counter but I logged 500 hours in year one and it's been two and a half years now...), about a thousand hours in Smite, similar in Destiny etc.

Yippiekai

The Fallen
May 28, 2018
Toulouse, France
Destiny 2 (~800h) and FFXIV (~650h) are the two main games I played for the last years.
I then play pretty much everything that remotely interest me but I almost always stop playing them when I finish them.

RankFTW

Oct 28, 2017
Scotland
I game mostly on PC and like RPGs. WoW isn't on my list but that was up at 600+ days when I quit in 2016 and although CSGO is top on my Steam list I've not played it in about a year.

SJsKrWO.png

Oct 31, 2017
200+ days in WoW. Playstation is about 200 odd hours in Destiny, 150 in warzone, and then 100+ for games like AC Odyssey and Witcher 3. So mostly RPG and looter games, followed by adventure style games eg. GoT, TLOU, GoW etc. - cod is an outlier here because playing with friends over lockdown was too much to pass up.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Currently Battlefield, GTAV, RDR2, Hitman and Wreckfest.

Battlefield is eternally dynamic while allowing me to employ my preferred playstyle at my own pace. Other multiplayer shooters tend to require you to be always constantly on, which can be stressful and frustrating. In Battlefield I can switch at will between that and just puttering around the landscape in a jeep or whatever. And you're one player out of 32. No pressure, just play however. Plus you can disable text chat, which removes any and all toxicity and it's like playing with actual AI.

GTA is the best sandbox game, always has been, especially once mods have appeared. That engine is just really impressive. It does all of the things. Mods allow you to engage with them. The relatively recent Chaos mod seems pretty good at demonstrating this. Might reinstall GTA V for it. Previously I've mostly been flying around in cars and making them shunt other cars into the stratosphere. Jumping the car and boosting is an interesting transportation mode, to steer you have to wait for the rear the point in the direction you want.

RDR2 is just a huge and detailed game that I enjoy pottering around it. I don't know that any other game succeeds as well as creating a world that feels and looks so enticingly natural. And you just find these interesting spots and situations all over. Of course on PC you can skip the sloggy intro. And also there are mods. I find myself not wanting to mess around in this world though. Just have invincibility and stamina and money. And being able to play the piano. And a hunting wagon that I don't really understand. And a ragdoll mode that I keep accidentally engaging. Oh and I made days longer and nights shorter.

Hitman doesn't last forever, but it's very, very, very fun to explore and figure levels out and get into various shenanigans as you do, screwing up, narrowly escaping, just clinging onto the vain hope that you can salvage things....or make them even worse. It's like inserting yourself into a finely tuned script, dragging your muddy boots all over it, and it kind of rewriting itself accordingly.

Wreckfest requires modding to become its best. AI sets, AI names, tracks, soundtrack, money cheat... Without that I would've stopped playing it a long time ago. (Although kudos to Bugbear for adding new tracks without charging for them.) The soundtrack is particularly important for this game, because the original soundtrack is heinous, and substituting my own adds so much to the aggressively vindictive rootin' tootin' fun times feel the game screams for. What Bugbear has nailed though, is the handling of the vehicles, the physics, AI and destruction. No other developer has been able to make driving like an asshole this satisfying. Taking down opponents is not sterile and automatic like in Burnout, whatever happens is entirely because of the timing, positioning and impact of your attack. And so when you really feckin hammer someone into the shit and get away cleanly, and you look back at the chaos of cars turning end over end and flying into the woods, it is one of the few games that can make me feel a rewarding sense of pure glee and pride in my assholery.

Bansai

Teyvat Traveler
Oct 28, 2017
Genshin Impact, the game simply became my "mainstay", I play other normal games like I usually do (CP2077 or AC:V for example), but there hasn't been a day since release when I didn't log in, did my dailies, kept up with events etc.

Goldenroad

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Mostly Action games and Western RPG's, but also quite a few tactics games, which I'm terrible at, but spend entirely too much time being terrible at. I'll also just play whatever indie games look interesting on Game Pass.

shaneo632

Weekend Planner
Oct 29, 2017
Wrexham, Wales
I almost never play games more than 25-30 hours. I am critical path and done, only have a few games with over 100 hours in my logs (Rocket League and CoD4: MW back in the day).

Most of my time is probably in linear AAA action games.

thediamondage

Oct 25, 2017
I jump around a lot, i get pretty bored quickly if I stay in the same genre. COD every year, 100+ hours. Finished Demon Souls recently, playing Dragon Quest XI-S and Rogue Squadron now. Looking forward to Control Ultimate Edition and Yakuza 7 when they have PS5 patches. Will buy Miles Morales PS5 when its on a decent sale, physical or digital.

My biggest thing is now not buying games unless I am sure I will play them, especially digital. Way too easy to just let it sit there forever untouched. I love the Assassins Creed series but haven't even thought about AC Valhalla, finished Odyssey about 4 months ago and want to wait a year before I touch another in the series. Cyberpunk 2077 looks right up my alley but I'll wait until a great PS5 version with RTX etc is out.

Gamepass is fantastic, because it lets you scratch that "i wanna check out something new" itch without having to pay extra money. I'll download a GP game, play for an hour or two, get bored, and delete it and not feel bad at all. Whereas if you paid $60 for that game, its REALLY hard to give up so easy.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Nothing really stands out as extraordinary for me. Long games are long and take time (AC Odyssey & its expansions), I only put 65 hours into Animal Crossing (vs. some friends of mine who are around 1,500-2,000+), about 95 for Xenoblade DE + Future Connected, etc. The last time I put a lot of hours into something was back in the Pokemon XY and ORAS days, Stardew Valley, or Dragon Quest IX.

Deleted member 8468

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
In the last couple years I've accumulated over 600 hours in Apex Legends, so I guess it's that. Feels way more like consistency than super long play sessions.

Ususally it's pretty rare for me to put in over 100 hours into a single game, even stuff like Skyrim, Fallout etc which I really enjoy. But once I've seen it all I'm usually done.

My all time high is definitely WoW, but at this point I don't want to know my combined playtime between all characters. I quit long ago.