• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

PS5 launch price

• #Team$399

Votes: 672 19.3%
  • #Team$499

Votes: 2,249 64.5%
  • #TeamIHaveNoIdea

Votes: 565 16.2%

• Total voters

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's ANY chance this is hitting 399. PS4 was able to release at $399 / £350 because it had a poor quality mechanical hard drive, which was old even then (PC's had been using SSDs for a little while in 2013), a pretty much off the shelf Jaguar CPU (which was always designed to be a notebook type CPU, cheap and low power) and a GPU which was mid range even when it came out.

Now, admittedly, we don't know what kind of GPU is going to be in this, nor do we know what sort of Zen CPU will be in it. HOWEVER, people are going to be disappointed one way or the other. Just like with the Xbox One X announcement, people on here are already building up unrealistic expectations. There will HAVE to be compromises in the system somewhere, otherwise it will cost £500+ which, as people have said already, is unrealistic. That price point killed the PS3 at launch and it took years (and price cuts) to recover. All this talk of ray tracing and faster than PC SSD storage solutions and 8 core zen CPUs has got people thinking it's going to be a £1000 PC in a £400 box. This is probably not going to happen.

Also anyone who seriously thinks PS5 is going to do 8k in any game is living in dreamland and I'm willing to bet my avatar on that. Even the mightiest PC GPUs today struggle to get solid framerates at 8K. It will be likely able to output an 8k image - so the home screen might be able to be in 8K. That's very different to playing games at 8k. Unless people are thinking the GPU in it will be RTX 2080ti level power.

I can't wait for my RTX 2080 ti, 1TB hyper advanced SSD and 8 core zen CPU for £400 box guys. 2025 is gonna be siiiiick.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think there's ANY chance this is hitting 399. PS4 was able to release at $399 / £350 because it had a poor quality mechanical hard drive, which was old even then (PC's had been using SSDs for a little while in 2013), a pretty much off the shelf Jaguar CPU (which was always designed to be a notebook type CPU, cheap and low power) and a GPU which was mid range even when it came out.

Now, admittedly, we don't know what kind of GPU is going to be in this, nor do we know what sort of Zen CPU will be in it. HOWEVER, people are going to be disappointed one way or the other. Just like with the Xbox One X announcement, people on here are already building up unrealistic expectations. There will HAVE to be compromises in the system somewhere, otherwise it will cost £500+ which, as people have said already, is unrealistic. That price point killed the PS3 at launch and it took years (and price cuts) to recover. All this talk of ray tracing and faster than PC SSD storage solutions and 8 core zen CPUs has got people thinking it's going to be a £1000 PC in a £400 box. This is probably not going to happen.

Also anyone who seriously thinks PS5 is going to do 8k in any game is living in dreamland and I'm willing to bet my avatar on that. Even the mightiest PC GPUs today struggle to get solid framerates at 8K. It will be likely able to output an 8k image - so the home screen might be able to be in 8K. That's very different to playing games at 8k. Unless people are thinking the GPU in it will be RTX 2080ti level power.

I can't wait for my RTX 2080 ti, 1TB hyper advanced SSD and 8 core zen CPU for £400 box guys. 2025 is gonna be siiiiick.
Everyone knows.

In console wars the first casualty is the truth.

Oct 28, 2017
The GCN that's in PS4 was almost a 2 years old architecture when it launched and it has a netbook grade cpu. The only expensive thing was the 8 GB GDDR5.
Now PS5 suppose to have a bunch of GDDR6 (fairly new), desktop grade CPU and a GPU that we haven't seen yet while also having a fairly large SSD instead of dirt cheap hard drives.
I can't see how this won't be 499 and it will be still a good bang for the buck if it comes out in like 2020. Also the current gen with the Pro and the X is nowhere near as obsolete as the previous gen felt after about 2011.
My secret wish would be an integer scaler option so you could keep the high framrate mode (being usually 1080p) and have a decent image on a 4k tv. It may as well make that promised 8k support less laughable.

DontHateTheBacon

Unshakable Resolve
Oct 27, 2017
A genuine question coming up - because I've seen comments like this before and I am honestly asking.

Now, I don't think 399 or 499 is cheap or not a lot of money for a lot of people, especially coming from a poor region. But, here's my question - if you can pay 399 for a console at launch - is another 100 that big of a difference? I'm aware you have to draw the line somewhere, is that it? Just asking - I don't want to sound disrespectful.

Again, for a lot of people around the world it's a lot of money. But even for those that it's not: I know people who have lots of money but refuse to buy something if it's more expensive than certain set number, almost like a matter of principle.
Never count another person's money.

Also, that extra $100 does matter because no one is just buying a console and not buying a game or two, or an extra controller, or PS+, or whatever new service they might have at launch.

Funkallero

Oct 28, 2017
Tokyo
Are people really expecting 599?
This number is literally cursed for Sony.
They're going to sell it max 499 and maybe take a loss on it at the beginning.

SpecDot

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
After reading some replies on here, I'm offically on team #2006AllOverAgainBaby$599TimeToGetASecondJob

Osahi

Oct 27, 2017
I have no idea, as I assume it will depend on how pricy componants are when it comes out. But I hoover towards 499

honest_ry

Banned
Oct 30, 2017
If its £499 then they can fuck off.

In fact, im not getting a PS5 at lunch anyway. Im all over the next xbox.

Oct 25, 2017
Sony is setting everybody up for that $399 drop yet again. I can already see all the "Holy Shit!" posts in the thread.

Laserplane

Apr 28, 2018
I mean that list sounds impressive but coming a year+ from now and with whatever discount Sony gets for buying millions of parts, etc etc I would hope they're trying for 299. So it has a fast ssd, ssds are cheap now. That processor is great but it's not priced like an Intel i7-9999.99k black ultimate waste of money edition... How can you support 499 or 599 when the market obviously won't bear it and will wait for a price drop? What software do you think they can come up with to get over a $600 launch hump?

Zok310

Oct 25, 2017
Pretty sure Sony would be okay taking the hit for a shot at having another Playstation with 100M+ install base.

Cause a console that's launching at $499 ain't reaching that, ever.

The number of people paying for PS+ is much more important in the long run than the initial loss of launching at $399.
I agree, PlayStation is not just about hardware anymore, Sony is also trying to sell other services like +, Now, and Vue all monthly/annual subscription. I cant see them gating those services behind $499.

Badgerst

Oct 27, 2017
Comes out at $399 with Sony knowing it smokes in first party game sales.

Sells like hot cakes, blows Xbox away for second gen!

Noctizs

Jan 5, 2019
TX
Should be $499, consoles last for years and people pay $1000 for a phone every year or two but we saw how that worked out for Xbox so who knows...

jdstorm

Jan 6, 2018
Should be $499, consoles last for years and people pay $1000 for a phone every year or two but we saw how that worked out for Xbox so who knows...

With the Xbox one the price was less of an issue then the value it represented. Consumers saw little value in the Kinect technology so what they saw was a 1.3TF machine for $499 vs an almost identical 1.8TF machine for $399 and the rest was history

Laserplane

What software will help it overcome that?

Firstly. Your whole PS4 library at 4K60 with negligible loading time. Including yet to release titles like TLoU2, Ghost of T, Death Stranding, Cyberpunk ect.

Secondly. Good VR likely 4K per eye then downsampled on PSVR1

New software?

1. Gran Turismo 7

If any game is built for being a graphical showcase it's GT. Will also likely support VR as racing games are among the best uses of the tech

2. Horizon Zero Dawn 2

The first game was a breakout success on PS4 and was a stunning achievement. With likely 5x the graphical power of the PS4 plus a new CPU to make the world feel more alive it will be a must have showcase title

3. Spider-Man 2 and God of War 5

Both games were huge sellers and they should have sequels ready for PS5's year 1

4. 3rd parties
There has been a lot of silence from some big 3rd party teams, Rocksteady, Avalanche, Ubisoft and Square will all have big games ready to go that will take advantage of the hardware.

Last edited:

AegonSnake

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the $599 posts. You guys do realize that the bulk of the cost was the $250 bluray drive and the $60 Emotion engine they stuck in each console?

Not to mention the 6 different SD card slots in each console. Sony had almost $350 worth of NEEDLESS shit that ballooned the cost of the PS3. You take them out and the PS3 would have sold for $400 on day 1 with only a $100 loss.

The only thing in the PS5 that is remotely that expensive is going to be the SSD, but the SSD prices have been plummeting over the past year. By Holiday 2020, they will be even cheaper. Besides, there is a good chance they will manufactuer it themselves as Cerny pointed out how its faster than anything else on the market.

The move from 28nm to 7nm for the APU should allow them to release a powerful console without breaking the bank. 4k bluray drives are only $15 more than regular bluray drives. They have been in the Xbox Slim and Xbox One X for two years now. the Xbox one X has 12GB of GDDR5 RAM, a powerful 6 tflopsGPU at 16nm, fancy vapor chamber cooling and it sold for $499 in 2017.

It's really not that hard to believe that Sony could release a $499 console in late 2020 with an SSD, 4k bluray drive, 24GB of RAM and a 12-14 tflops GPU that will likely require vapor chamber cooling.

Kaiken

Oct 25, 2017
All in for #team499 but please for the love of gamers around the world, don't slant the back of the console.

RoninStrife

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Clearly.. #Team$499 has their reasons.. and I think it's wanting Sony to go all out and not have a mid gen refresh.
I would rather they bulid a great box, the best they can for $499 (assuming a $499 box costs them $599 to build), given the PS4 cost to build exceeded the $399 price they sold it for, let the PS5 last 5 years (with a smaller iteration or two during that time) and have a PS6 announcement for a next next gen.
I have a Pro.. and I love it and all. But given the jump to 8K is so unnecessary, I believe they shouldn't have a mid gen refresh next gen.
#Team$499!

Nolbertos

Dec 9, 2017
Didn't they do market research and at most the majority of consumers are willing to pay is $399.99. Has Sony not learned there lesson about having a console $499.99?? Most hardcore gamers could afford that but everybody and there dog wouldn't pay that price, no matter the specs. If Sony wants to sell alot, $399.99 is the best price while taking a cut/loss and making the money back through PSN, 3rd party games and licenses, etc.

Elephant

Nov 2, 2017
Nottingham, UK
$399 - Game enthusiasts might be willing to pay the $499, but for the casual fan and parents I think $399 is the sweet-spot.

What's that, £350 in real money?

Edit: Also give me the PSVR2 with it in an optional bundle.

BriGuy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd rather it be $499 if it results in better components. I dropped a $1000 on my phone, so a console for half that seems kind of like a steal.

Apathy

Oct 25, 2017
I wish it was 399 for my poor Canadian dollar, but in my gut I feel it'll be 499 usd at launch. I'm fine with it cause I'll have the money set aside but it's going to hurt

Sulik2

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think Sony is making a mistake going $499, but there is no way with those specs they can hit $399.

teague

Dec 17, 2018
well if they charge that much for a console worthy of that price instead of the underpowered mess that was the original Xbox One with mandatory doorstop that support will eventually be pulled for, I'm all for it.
I'd rather it be $499 if it results in better components. I dropped a $1000 on my phone, so a console for half that seems kind of like a steal.

I think this is why it'll be expensive: people are now used to shelling out for absurdly expensive phones and Sony probably looked at One X and said, "if that can be $500 then we can be..."

Also 8k, I laughed when Google said this at the Stadia reveal but apparently this is gonna be a thing... how big of a tv will I need, swimming-pool-sized??

Feb 10, 2018
Team $399 nothing said has indicated $499, Sony will want to represent great value out of the gate, especially considering the potential threat of a $299 lockhart, google stadia and even cheaper Nintendo switches.

Also I can see people going ape when the $399 price is unveiled even though nothing indicated $499

d1368953-34b4-4b7a-aa36-6e529220812e.gif

Last edited:

JTDailyUpdate

Nov 1, 2017
lol at the $599 posts. You guys do realize that the bulk of the cost was the $250 bluray drive and the $60 Emotion engine they stuck in each console?

Not to mention the 6 different SD card slots in each console. Sony had almost $350 worth of NEEDLESS shit that ballooned the cost of the PS3. You take them out and the PS3 would have sold for $400 on day 1 with only a $100 loss.

The only thing in the PS5 that is remotely that expensive is going to be the SSD, but the SSD prices have been plummeting over the past year. By Holiday 2020, they will be even cheaper. Besides, there is a good chance they will manufactuer it themselves as Cerny pointed out how its faster than anything else on the market.

The move from 28nm to 7nm for the APU should allow them to release a powerful console without breaking the bank. 4k bluray drives are only $15 more than regular bluray drives. They have been in the Xbox Slim and Xbox One X for two years now. the Xbox one X has 12GB of GDDR5 RAM, a powerful 6 tflopsGPU at 16nm, fancy vapor chamber cooling and it sold for $499 in 2017.

It's really not that hard to believe that Sony could release a $499 console in late 2020 with an SSD, 4k bluray drive, 24GB of RAM and a 12-14 tflops GPU that will likely require vapor chamber cooling.

The only problem with Sony manufacturing their own SSD's, is that If what Cerny stated that they are faster then anything currently on the market. Is that Sony can get themselves in another "vita memory price" problem, as their will be limited options of upgrading the storage for the PS5 with bigger SSD's that support the speeds Cerny is talking about.

Polyh3dron

Prophet of Regret
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is why it'll be expensive: people are now used to shelling out for absurdly expensive phones and Sony probably looked at One X and said, "if that can be $500 then we can be..."

Also 8k, I laughed when Google said this at the Stadia reveal but apparently this is gonna be a thing... how big of a tv will I need, swimming-pool-sized??
8K is so dumb, I really hope Sony doesn't actually push for games to run at that resolution. They'll have a hell of a time just getting 4K right.

Griever

Oct 27, 2017
I'd buy for $499 but I would like Sony to sweeten the deal with a 12 month PS Plus sub or an extra controller for early buyers.