• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

PS5 launch price

• #Team$399

Votes: 672 19.3%
  • #Team$499

Votes: 2,249 64.5%
  • #TeamIHaveNoIdea

Votes: 565 16.2%

• Total voters

Bufbaf

Don't F5!
Oct 25, 2017
Hamburg, Germany
Team #there's gonna be a PSN subscription based subvention offer of some sort to make it more affordable, but no way the launch price for this thing is under 400.

Oct 25, 2017
$499 is the minimum I see this thing is Sony is willing to sell it at a heavy loss. I expect it to be $599

Probably $499 with a $70 to $100 loss. PS4 was sold at a loss so they are not allergic to it contrary to popular
$399 for the 250GB option and $499 for the 500GB option.

I think they will skip going higher, no one wants a repeat of $599 PS3 memes.

250GB is not going to have a $100 up charge. And the storage won't be that low.

Praetorpwj

Nov 21, 2017
$499 but I'd pay up to $599 if it includes a decent cooling solution and hdmi handshake worth a damn.

Bung Hole

Banned
Jan 9, 2018
Auckland, New Zealand
I am team whatever gives me the best quality hardware in terms of sound, thermal performance and build quality. If it means Team$499 then I'm Team$499.
I'm sick and tired of my consoles feeling and sounding like Fisher Price clearance stock.

Davilmar

Oct 27, 2017
I have a hard time believing that mainstream gamers will go for $499. There is a ceiling on how much people will be willing to pay, features or not. Especially with the early build quality of early PS4 consoles, no way in hell I would pay that kind of price. On top of a game, PSN subscription, etc. Sony benefitted on having a fairer price than the competition. They lost their minds with the PS3, and spent the rest of that generation picking up the pieces.

Lucifonz

Oct 27, 2017
United Kingdom
In my opinion $499 at least given the supposed rough idea of specs. I think the tech market has shown consumers are clearly more accepting than ever of higher costs - the entire industry is pretty much shifting towards premium products being higher priced.

It's all down to how much of a loss Sony are willing to take really to hit an aggressive price point.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
#TeamIHaveNoFuckingIdeaHowTheyCouldAchieveThatUnder$800
What people seem to be overlooking is that this is largely just AMD's next generation APU.
A Ryzen 2400G is a 4-core CPU paired with Vega 11 graphics (admittedly only ~2TF though).
Zen 2 is going to double the core count per CCX, which means their next APUs will have 8 cores rather than 4, and then it will be paired with a higher-end Navi GPU part.
That much seems feasible for the cost.

Where it breaks down for me is the amount of RAM I've heard that these systems are going to have (>16GB) and how much storage that SSD is going to have.
An SSD in next-gen systems was expected, but not an extremely high performance SSD, like they are hinting at (seemingly a PCIe4 SSD with >3.5GB/s bandwidth). If it's that kind of performance, I have to imagine that it's also very small. Like 64–256 GB at most.
It's not going to have 1–2 TB of SSD storage if it's a high performance SSD like that.

The performance gap between low-end and high-end hardware has been narrowing considerably in recent years, but the price gap has never been wider.
If nothing else, it all but confirms that PC hardware vendors -even AMD- have been fucking us over completely on pricing in recent years, if they can deliver a system like this for $500.
Prices got ridiculous with the bitcoin mining craze, and that seems to have permanently driven up the costs for enthusiast hardware.

A proprietary SSD = big bucks. This thing is going to be at least 600 because of that alone.
If the SSD is custom hardware, it will custom in a way that reduces its cost.
More likely, it will be an off-the-shelf part, but will be PCIe4.0 since the system is based on Zen 2.
That also doesn't mean it's faster than any SSD storage currently available for PCs, just most of them since most NVMe drives use a PCIe3.0 4x connection, and it's very likely only true with raw bandwidth on large file transfers.

Basarili

Oct 27, 2017
Haarlem
It might cost 499, but not to let Microsoft pass them they could make a last minute change at one of their press conferences and say it cost 399.
I have no clue about the next xbox, but if both have the 499 price tag it will be a fair start for both. Unless one of them comes out a month earlier.
If they would release the consoles for 499 and on the same day in as much as countries as possible Sony might win the first days. Thats my take on it.

Deleted member 17403

User Requested Account Closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe Cerny was intentionally wording his answer in a way that conflates PS5's high end specs with a high end price only to mislead and later floor players when they reveal that the PS5 will retail for $449. It's an increase over the sweet $399 but undercuts MS if they opt to release at $499 as some are speculating that they will. It's doing this while in addition to being a great value that maintains the marketability of being affordable. Just my opinion.

Bleu

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
349 was the internal bom target for the ps4, i'm certain the internal target is the same for ps5.
It's just the "normal" next amd apu, not platinum painted alien tech, and they will order millions of them.
i'd bet on 399.

Oct 28, 2017
$499 and I'm all for it. I'd be cool with $599 US dollars to get a real beast but understand that would not be a good move for Sony.

Inki

Oct 30, 2017
There is a lot of stuff we need more info on. 3d Audio is probably SoC (Custom Unit just = Custom CPU ?). We don't know the size of the SSD (PS has expandable storage). 8k (could just be Checker boarded or something new they cooked up from a 4k signal).
I think the magic number is going to be UNDER $500 so team $499 here.

WILL IT HAVE A 4K BR DRIVE?

Nov 14, 2017
It will be 499$, if it's 399$ I'm there day 1, if it's the former, I will wait a few months for a bundle before buying but hopefully it's 499$ and it's packed with goodness and future proof.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
$499 I think. Even at $599 I think it's still a bargain, not sure why people get so hung up over price for an item that will last you years, it's like $100 a year, less than $10 a month over its lifetime and at the end when you want to upgrade to a PS6 or whatever you can still sell it for a few hundred $'s.

GhostTrick

Oct 25, 2017
What specs ?
We know it's a Navi GPU and a Zen 2 8 core CPU. We don't know much about the SSD. Nor anything else. No core config/clockspeed/storage capacity or type. Nothing.

Oct 30, 2017
$499 I think. Even at $599 I think it's still a bargain, not sure why people get so hung up over price for an item that will last you years, it's like $100 a year, less than $10 a month over its lifetime and at the end when you want to upgrade to a PS6 or whatever you can still sell it for a few hundred $'s.

People gladly pay double for their smartphones which last 1/2 years 🤷‍♂️

Nice german shepard btw.

Pasedo

Oct 27, 2017
You know what. I still find it funny how price sensitive people are to buying new consoles every 5-7 years when they're willing to drop over 1k on a new phone every couple of years. I'd argue consoles get just as much use when you consider that theyre being played for hours at a time most days and phones are intermittently used for a few minutes here and there. I'd say anything up to 1k is pretty good value when you'll have endless amounts of enjoyment with it over many many years

DvdGzz

Banned
Mar 21, 2018
I have no problem with 499 or even 599+. I want a premium console from both Sony and MS.

Yankee Ruin X

Oct 31, 2017
People gladly pay double for their smartphones which last 1/2 years 🤷‍♂️

Nice german shepard btw.

Thanks, he's a good boy.

You know what. I still find it funny how price sensitive people are to buying new consoles every 5-7 years when they're willing to drop over 1k on a new phone every couple of years. I'd argue consoles get just as much use when you consider that theyre being played for hours at a time most days and phones are intermittently used for a few minutes here and there. I'd say anything up to 1k is pretty good value when you'll have endless amounts of enjoyment with it over many many years

Exactly, I upgrade my phone every year pretty much at $1k, sell the old one for $500-600 so costs me $400ish a year. Seems like a lot but I spend hours on my phone every day so I don't really see it as a high cost for something I use so much.

A console costing $500-600 and lasting 6/7 years I wouldn't even flinch at as the hours of usage/$ is stupidly low over the years. Even if they brought out a PS5 Pro 3 years in I would just sell my PS5 for $250 and put that towards the Pro, it's still excellent value for money for the amount of use it will get.

Nov 4, 2017
With such fast solid state storage, 8 Zen 2 cores and a GPU with dedicated ray tracing hardware built in, I just don't see how they can sell at $399 without selling at a loss. Even with economies of scale etc, that's a lot of cutting edge technology for a very low price. So I'll say $499 with a quick drop in price once preduction cost goes down. Or $449 if they're willing to go for a loss leader model (though didn't they swear to never do this again?)

Oct 27, 2017
I have no problem with 499 or even 599+. I want a premium console from both Sony and MS.

Same here.

Also to the people moaning considering both these consoles should be fully BC you can trade in your old consoles towards the cost unlike last time with the PS4 and Xbox one as they weren't BC.

I know lots of people who refused to trade in PS3 or 360 due to GTA V, Last of us 2 and GT 6 in 2013.

Deleted member 135

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know which, I'm okay with $499 but I'll only buy one at launch. If its $399 I'll probably get two at launch.

That said I fully expect the actual cost to be at least $100 more than the retail price. Sony is in a great position where they can afford to eat more cost. They ate $60 on each PS4 for the first year or two, with the current PS+ base they have the revenue to absorb a lot more.

bionic77

Oct 25, 2017
With such fast solid state storage, 8 Zen 2 cores and a GPU with dedicated ray tracing hardware built in, I just don't see how they can sell at $399 without selling at a loss. Even with economies of scale etc, that's a lot of cutting edge technology for a very low price. So I'll say $499 with a quick drop in price once preduction cost goes down. Or $449 if they're willing to go for a loss leader model (though didn't they swear to never do this again?)
I want 399 at a loss.

Like the good old days.