• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MrHedin

Dec 7, 2018
It'll be 4 years for my 5T in a couple of months. Tentatively planning on getting some new next summer but might punt it down the road as I don't have any practical reasons to get a new one yet.

Radd Redd

Oct 27, 2017
4 years. It's time since I've been rocking this phone since summer of 2017. Just being patient for a great phone deal to buy outright.

BannerThief

Apr 10, 2019
Seattle
Went from the Moto X4 to the Google Pixel 4A after 3 years, almost to the day. Nothing was "wrong" with the X4, I just accidentally smashed the camera against something at work and shattered the glass. :( First time I've ever damaged a phone, too!

Pixel 4A is good though, a nice upgrade...but I do miss the Moto gestures.

Seirith

Oct 25, 2017
I went from a S8 to an S21. I got the S21 because I cracked the side of the S8 screen (Well, actually the cat did) and the S21 was coming out so I got one. I will get the S21 until it breaks or the battery life is so bad it won't stay charged. I like the S21, I'd like the notification light and a headphone jack back but they are not deal breaks not having them.

Bing-Bong

Banned
Feb 1, 2019
I had my second phone for close to 5 years. Then, close to 3 years ago, my family gifted me my actual phone out of pitty (didn't ask for it, my second phone still was working fine, but was "too old" and "not even mine").

gitrektali

Feb 22, 2018
It's funny how you feel it's still usable/sufficient for your needs until you get a new one and the battery seems to last forever and everything is brighter and faster. Now that I've been using a Plus size phone, the old ones seem so tiny. My bf got a Plus a couple years before me and I always felt it was huge and too big for myself. Now… it's just normal size.
Gotta agree with you there, that's why I've generally limited my phone usage to bare essentials as well haha Though, these days, a good battery is a huge plus for me, so I might actually upgrade even though my current one is more or less okay

Oct 30, 2017
iphone 4 to 5S, so three and a bit years. got a new one every year since then.

though right now i'm using my old 8 plus (four years old) for a couple of weeks because i sold my 12 mini in preparation for the 13 pro. i actually kind of like it, feels (dare i say it) retro

Deleted member 3183

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Three years now; hanging onto my iPhone XS Max. I don't see a compelling reason to upgrade right now to the 13; maybe next year.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm still on my Pixel 2 so that's almost 4 years I think. Zero desire to upgrade at the moment, it does everything I need and nothing about the crop of new phones particularly enthuses me. I'm happy with my £8 Giffgaff sim and a phone that I'm not precious about.

Eventually I'll probably look at a Pixel 4 or 5 maybe when they're cheap.

T002 Tyrant

Nov 8, 2018
Oops without upgrading... Um about 7 years because I was homeless and couldn't afford an "upgrade" but wasn't on a price plan either so don't know if that counts?

Cyclonesweep

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
I used to go 3-4 years but recently every android phone I has starts to go to shit in just under 2 years. Battery life plummeting, usb port issues etc.

Now I go 2 years, switching to iPhone for the first time ever to see if I can get some more life out of my devices.

Lord Arcadio

Oct 27, 2017
6s to 12 mini

I had the 16GB model so that was the biggest issue in using my 6s as time went on. I waited for iPhones to have 5G before getting a new phone just to make the upgrade even more worth it. Otherwise, I was still fine with my 6s.

My 12 mini has been amazing so far. I'll be using it for as long as I can. I just don't see the point in upgrading frequently.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
Outside of battery life and possibly being so outdated that no apps run on it I don't see the point in upgrading my phone. Still got my 3 year old phone. Battery life is getting bad so I might get a new one in a year or so. But in tip top shape I could keep it for 6-7 years.

Oct 27, 2017
I had an iPhone 4S in 2011 to iPhone 6S in 2016 (5 years) to iPhone 12 in 2020 (4 years) so my longest is 5 years. In general, I think that's a pretty decent length of time and haven't had much need to upgrade much sooner. The main reason for upgrading both was released to battery life rather than usability or new features; if the battery life lasted longer I would probably have waited longer in both cases.

The Lord of Cereal

#REFANTAZIO SWEEP
Jan 9, 2020
Currently, 5 years. Got my iPhone 7 in late 2016 (I think, I got it somewhat soon after launch, but could have been early 2017) and apart from battery life being less than optimal and performance not always being top tier it works beautifully for everything I need it for. I think I'm gonna upgrade to the iPhone 13 Mini this year because I'm to lazy to swap out the battery on my phone for a new one and because some apps have lead to my phone showing its age.

Still though, I could probably go for another couple years if I wanted/needed to. I was originally planning on waiting until the iPhone switched to USB-C but I don't feel like waiting for something that won't happen

hydruxo

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Probably right now actually haha. I've had my iPhone 6S since like March 2016 and I'm still using it. Battery needs a swap, but otherwise it's still in great shape and works well so I haven't felt the need to upgrade. Once a bunch of apps that I use stop working with my phone then that's usually the sign I need to upgrade, but that hasn't happened yet.

VinylCassette64

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Still using my first smartphone my mom bought me (iPhone 6S) since 2015; which would make this about 6 years and counting. Before that, I had a traditional flip phone for about a few years.

I have definitely had thoughts about upgrading to a new phone though, as of late. My phone says the battery health is working at 81% maximum capacity to when it was new, but it feels much worse than that. Battery percentage can drop over 10% in just a few minutes of light use. This was then followed by my phone case (a plastic case which has held up remarkably well over the years) peeling apart a few weeks ago…

e: All that said, I haven't been caught up in the whole smartphone upgrade race. I had the option to trade-in/upgrade my phone when my parents changed phone carrier/plans, I declined while my parents took that opportunity. And my sister I'm pretty sure has gone through at least a couple of different smartphones already due to various mishaps.

Last edited:

Anustart

9 Million Scovilles
Avenger
Nov 12, 2017
I'm in the thick of it now. On a Galaxy S10.

Still working great. I used to work for the carriers so it was easy to get the new model every year, but now, I've a much better job but don't need the new phone every time.

msdstc

Nov 6, 2017
This is the longest I've gone since smart phones started. I have the one plus 5 from 4 years ago at this point. I'd honestly go longer but it's running like absolute trsah and need an upgrade soon :/

WannabeSage

May 31, 2019
IPhone 5 from the end of 2012 to iPhone 12 at the end of 2020. Worked otherwise fine but several apps stopped supporting iPhone 5.

Siresly

Prophet of Regret
Oct 27, 2017
Had my previous phone for around 4 years probably, replaced it a couple of months ago because I got tired of the frequent "low storage" warnings. Might be longer before I swap this one out.

Nov 23, 2017
Probably right now actually haha. I've had my iPhone 6S since like March 2016 and I'm still using it. Battery needs a swap, but otherwise it's still in great shape and works well so I haven't felt the need to upgrade. Once a bunch of apps that I use stop working with my phone then that's usually the sign I need to upgrade, but that hasn't happened yet.
I took in my phone when they were doing the free battery replacement and got a new one for it. It degraded some, so I figured it would give the phone a new lifespan. But I've never had a battery so dead that it was worth $100 replacement cost.

My problem is that I don't have anything automatically upgrade. So eventually I get apps that require updating, but the update will only work on the newest OS. Some apps that worked on the old OS now won't work on the newest OS without upgrading. Eventually I have to cave in when I can't get find a work around.

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
Maybe 3 years. I usually have a hardware failure with the power port or battery not charging. With wireless charging I was hopeful that I could go longer and not have to upgrade again. Nope, 5G required by end of the year.

Hoping that I can get 4 years out of this next one though and make it to 2025.

C.Mongler

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Washington, DC
Right now. I was pretty regularly upgrading my phone every ~2 years since I got one as a teen. Got the iPhone X when it launched in December 2017. Still have it. Was hoping the 13 would have something enticing enough to consider a new one, but nothing really seemed all that interesting to me yet.

Squarehard

Oct 27, 2017
I upgrade my phone fairly often, because they're all handmedowns, and my siblings upgrade them all the time.

Whales

Oct 25, 2017
3-4 years

Used to get new phones every 2 years maybe when my brother upgraded and gave me his old ones

penguindrum

Feb 10, 2019
I've only had five phones in my life but the longest is the one I'm currently using, I got it five years ago. It's fine other than battery life. Got it replaced before, but it was never really like new. I think I'll upgrade as soon as I can afford to.

raeaburame

May 9, 2019
Still using my XS Max from 2018, i'm ready for an upgrade but the new iPhones seem like a boring upgrade and i'm scared to itch back to android for fear of social backlash lol

Dec 30, 2020
I had a Motorola Razr from the day it came out until the day they cancelled 3G support.

Replaced it with a Motorola Razr.

Dan-o

Oct 25, 2017
iPhone 7 Plus lasted me three years.
Current phone, a OnePlus 7T Pro, is at almost two years.

Jan 29, 2018
However long it was between the S8 and the S21. 3.5ish years? And the biggest upgrade I felt was slightly better battery life.

Phones got kinda boring.

SephiZack

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I generally upgrade every 4 years. Current phone is 4+ years old, don't really feel like buying a new one for now so it might last until 5.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Honestly I've pretty consistently held onto phones for about 3 years apiece, though my XS Max is now at that point and I'm planning to hold onto it for another year or maybe two.

oofouchugh

Oct 29, 2017
Night City
Every Android phone I've had has felt like it rotted around the 2 year mark, I think I put up with my Pixel XL for 2.5 years but the battery went to shit and it would overheat and restart when downloading anything significant. I strictly switched to an iPhone 11 Pro Max so I could hold onto my phone for at least 5 years and actually get software updates.

Android wise I think Google and Samsung are the only ones that can even manage 3+ years of updates right now.