• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Yog-Sothoth

Oct 1, 2018
Does shenmue 3 really count (as a 18 year wait) , though? Nobody expected there to be a new one until 2015, so you've actually been waiting 4 years.

noquarter

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for Seiken Densetsu 3 to officially come over was about 24 years. Remember looking for roms of that back in High school and hoping it would come out officially. Now it has.

There with the OP on Shenmue 3, remember importing the second on DC, then buying it on Xbox and playing it again, now it is almost here.

Star fox 2 is almost one, however I just assumed they put most of it into Star Fox 64. Glad the released the game, though I would have enjoyed it much more 20 years ago.

Nigel Tufnel

Mar 5, 2019
Its going to end up being Elder Scrolls 6, but as of right now, maybe RDR2?

What became BoTW was teased for a long time before it finally came out... Maybe that.

Gabbo

Oct 25, 2017
Duke Nukem Forever - around 12 of the 14 years it took to release. Even ended up getting the game for free as I made a bet in highschool that it would never release and collected when it did.

Paper Wario

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
For me it's easily Smash Bros. Brawl. From the reveal trailer at e3 in June of 2006 to the eventual release in March of 2008, nearly 2 years of hype and waiting. The only time I've ever really been bummed by game delays.

Desma

Oct 27, 2017
Kingdom Hearts III

Would've said FF XV, but I really just treat Versus XIII as canceled at this point

Gpsych

May 20, 2019
Elder Scrolls VI. It'll be 8years this November and my interest hasn't wavered in the slightest despite having only the one teaser for it. And to think it is still another 3 years out (at minimum). I had always assume it would be 2021 to coincide with Skyrim's 10th anniversary, but the odds of that are extremely low.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017
Does shenmue 3 really count (as a 18 year wait) , though? Nobody expected there to be a new one until 2015, so you've actually been waiting 4 years.

Yeah this was my thought. Shenmue 3 was not announced back in the Dreamcast days. Implied by the ending of 2, obviously, but the actual wait has been a fairly reasonable 4 years.

The real answer is probably The Last Guardian.

McNum

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Denmark
Duke Nukem Forever? Saw it being announced in game magazines. And then I waited.

I couldn't not buy it when it launched. Even when it wasn't really that good, I just had to see it for myself that it was actually out.

Beatofficer

Oct 25, 2017
All the normal ones have been talked about but boy, have I waited a LONG time for Heart Forth, Alicia. I kickstarted it and it's ETA for release was May of 2015. We're sitting at July of 2019 with no estimated release and the dev only providing 3 updates in the last 12 months in October, January, and May.

Deleted member 7883

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Half-Life 3... followed by an HD Animal Crossing game (I've been waiting since the Wii U days) as far as games that have actually released I'd have to give it to Breath of the Wild.

Okabe

Is Sometimes A Good Bean
Aug 24, 2018
DMC5

11 years and some wrinkles now....

kbbelsc.gif

Necron

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I remember FF Versus XIII getting announced over 13 years ago. I remember it getting rebranded and salvaged as FF XV, launching in 2016, getting patched endlessly from then on, broken up as an anime/film (and more), getting its second season pass cancelled etc.

I've only now started playing it. You could say, I've waited... and upon playing it, I think I should have waited some more.

Last edited:

Tatsu91

Banned
Apr 7, 2019
Duke Nukem Forever - around 12 of the 14 years it took to release. Even ended up getting the game for free as I made a bet in highschool that it would never release and collected when it did.
Correct answer and the worst part is it only released because gearbox had to shamble together a corpse of created assets and gameplay to make something that was at least playable i enjoyed it but it could have been so much more

CAMaera

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
After Phantasy Star Portable 2 delisting multiple times, PSP2Infinity going unlocalised, Sony and fans relentlessly shoving the knife deeper every E3 about how it just might be the year, dead official twitter accounts, countless rumors and other unfounded hopes for the better part of ~7 YEARS...

It's Phantasy Star Online 2 for me. And I'm damn happy that it's finally coming out here in the west soon(ish).

Darkpyro2

Oct 27, 2017
I'm pretty young, but The Elder Scrolls VI. Skyrim came out in 2011, and I've been waiting for it since I was 14.

Bonestorm

Oct 27, 2017
Starcraft 2 for a game released I believe. Or Diablo 3, too lazy to check which was longer, feels like SC2.

TheJollyCorner

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
As a kid I went from March 1992 (when I beat FFII) to October 1994 waiting for Final Fantasy III. I was obsessed with wanting the next game in the saga.

At that age (12 thru 14), two years and seven months felt like a goddamn eternity.
It was worth it, though, as the FFIII we ended up getting was the glorious FFVI!

diakyu

Dec 15, 2018
Likely Persona 5. Versus 13 really never came out and DDD came out in 2012 so KH3 doesn't count.

NightShift

Oct 25, 2017
Australia
I forget when I first played Shadow of the Colossus so it may be The Last Guardian or Borderlands 3. By the way, the wait for TLG was totally worth it.