• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Oct 2, 2018
Left London ... and I walked around and looked at the price of movie tickets (as I wanted to see new Godzilla) and it's absolutely bonkers to me. $18-20 pounds? Some places advertised $10 quid tickets and I walked up to have a look and it's specifically in row 1+2 where you don't want to be.

I couldn't believe it. No wonder there wasn't much of a crowd going to the cinema.

*now in LA - where's the best cinema for a big screen experience? (Godzilla)

Btw I can watch movies where I'm from AUS for £7.39

Alice

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
If that's a lot for you, try seeing a movie in Japan.

But yeah, Ticket Prices are just ridiculous these days.

Kiraly

Oct 30, 2017
Meerkat Movies, gives you 2 for 1 cinema tickets every Tuesday or Wednesday. You just buy a one-day insurance for a quid to get the deal for the entire year.

Arkestry

Oct 26, 2017
London
Left London ... and I walked around and looked at the price of movie tickets (as I wanted to see new Godzilla) and it's absolutely bonkers to me. $18-20 pounds? Some places advertised $10 quid tickets and I walked up to have a look and it's specifically in row 1+2 where you don't want to be.

I couldn't believe it. No wonder there wasn't much of a crowd going to the cinema.

If you're only looking in Leicester Square, yeah they're going to be £20.

But the local Everyman near me is £12 for lovely sofa seats. Best cinema experience I've had.

Oct 26, 2017

The Arclight is a really nice theater chain in LA. The buttered popcorn is real butter.

Steiner_Zi

Oct 28, 2017
Central London cinemas are super expensive but outside Zone 1 tickets are more around the £12-14 range (still too expensive).

Best deal is to get a monthly unlimited card where for £19 per month you can see as many movies as many times as you like.

Timbuktu

Oct 25, 2017
That must be around Leicester Sq or something. The Dolby Cinema is ridiculously expensive, but local cinemas are cheaper than that. Some Vue cinemas have cut prices down to £7 and £5 on Mondays. With meerkat, you can go to cinema with your partner for £3.50 each.

DeltaRed

Apr 27, 2018
In the very centre they're expensive but go during the day to ones further out like Camden or Brixton and they'll be cheaper. I'm sure I saw something at the Odeon at Swiss Cottage not long ago during the day and it was under £10.

Dirtyshubb

Oct 25, 2017
UK
I'm in croydon and can go to see Godzilla for less than £10 right now, or spend £15 for VIP seats.

Depends where you are going and how central in London you are.

Dyno

AVALANCHE
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I live in a shitty little no name town 70 miles north of London and it's the same prices so I don't think it's just a London thing

ClivePwned

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
I work from home so I go to The Light Cinema in Cambridge for morning sessions. 6 pounds. Comfy seats (on par with a decent V max in Australia). Night time tix here are usually 10-13 pounds

Supervizzle

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
The cinemas I lived close to in Greater London cost around £7. And there's Peckhamplex for £5 in Peckham. Subscriptions for Odeon/Vue/Cineworld seem to be about £20 a month for seeing as many films as you want.

If the centre of London is the only place you're looking at, it's gonna cost you more obviously.

Deleted member 54320

User requested account closure
Banned
Feb 28, 2019
London
Before working at IGN, I use to do part time work at an Everyman Cinema and oh man; was it expensive.

It was one of those proper middle class cinemas, specifically the one I worked at over in Madia Vale. Parents bringing their kids to watch films whilst buying a bottle of wine for them selves, snobby assholes complaining about every little thing and so much more.

Rosur

Oct 28, 2017
Its £5 for tickets at one of the cinemas near me (Vue) but they'll probably stop being so cheap at some point and go back to be 12-15ish.

Or people who go lots go for one of the unlimited passes such as at Oden's or showcase.

Deleted member 4247

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
About the same here in Sweden. Endgame tickets were 150 SEK, which is around $16.

For a standard length movie it's a little cheaper, like $14.

Prine

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I dont really think about it too much as i only go to Cinema when i really want to see a movie. so the price isnt a concern. But if i wanted to see movies im half-interested in then it would sting.

Sasliquid

Oct 25, 2017
I go to Genesis near Whitechapel personally, that's like £5 on weekdays

Also BFI but that's because I have membership

Radeo

Banned
Apr 26, 2019
I went to see John Wick while I was down in London with some friends and was surprised it was £11 on a Thursday

In Manchester the local Odeon is £6 on a weekday

Oct 25, 2017
I go to Genesis near Whitechapel personally, that's like £5 on weekdays

Also BFI but that's because I have membership

Yeah the screen quality varies but Genesis is great, always running events as well if you're a proper cinephile.

They did an anniversary promotion a couple weeks ago of £2.50 a ticket with a free pint. That combined with a showing of Mandy was glorious.

Vespa

Oct 26, 2017
I live just outside London where it's somewhat reasonable but fully agree that London cinemas are cray cray. I'll spend the dosh if it's some special release (e.g Hateful 8 70mm) or I'm out with friends there but it's not something I do regularly at all. They're not even large screens most of the time :/

newline

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
London, United Kingdom
Peckhamplex has 5 quid tickets every night.

Genesis in Whitechapel has 5 quid tickets on Monday and Wednesday.

If you become a member of PCC (Leicester Square) you can regularly get 7.50 tickets which is good for central and they do weekly 1 pound screenings too.

Central London cinemas are mainly reserved for tourists and date nights tbh.

Deleted member 23381

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
I normally go to the Odeon.lux in Putney bridge, odeon in wimbledon or some indie one in Aldgate called genesis and there.pretty reasonably priced with the latter being dirt cheap sometimes.

You can also just bring in popcorn you bought for £1 from sainsburies/Morrison's compared to when I lived in Canada and that wasn't kosher at all. So it works out cheaper all inclusive.

Techno