• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Do you approve of the change?

• Yes. Them things were probably causing back problems.

Votes: 298 29.0%
  • No. Cancel culture has run amok.

Votes: 380 37.0%
  • I respect both equally.

Votes: 350 34.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sanka

Banned
Feb 17, 2019
They were just looking out for the kids. The amount of Furries she awakened is probably in the billions.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
I'm frankly surprised, after the complete rework WB gave her on The Looney Tunes Show, that they'd actually go with what's effectively the old design (and most likely the old character vs. the nuthouse she is on LTS) but just not horny-on-main.

ESmxwxzUUAEbrpV.jpg

Remember when right-wing Twitter had the exact same freak-out when this version of Lola happened years back? Pepperidge Farm fucking remembers.

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Would the "Furry" concept and community even exist now if Lola looked that way in the original Space Jam movie?

Wikipedia said:
According to fandom historian Fred Patten, the concept of furry originated at a science fiction convention in 1980,[5] when a character drawing from Steve Gallacci's Albedo Anthropomorphics started a discussion of anthropomorphic characters in science fiction novels. This led to the formation of a discussion group that met at science fiction conventions and comics conventions.

The specific term furry fandom was being used in fanzines as early as 1983, and had become the standard name for the genre by the mid-1990s, when it was defined as "the organized appreciation and dissemination of art and prose regarding 'Furries', or fictional mammalian anthropomorphic characters".[6] However, fans consider the origins of furry fandom to be much earlier, with fictional works such as Kimba, The White Lion released in 1965, Richard Adams' novel Watership Down, published in 1972 (and its 1978 film adaptation), as well as Disney's Robin Hood as oft-cited examples.[5] Internet newsgroup discussion in the 1990s created some separation between fans of "funny animal" characters and furry characters, meant to avoid the baggage that was associated with the term "furry".[7]

During the 1980s, furry fans began to publish fanzines, developing a diverse social group that eventually began to schedule social gatherings. By 1989, there was sufficient interest to stage the first furry convention.[8] It was called Confurence 0, and was held at the Holiday Inn Bristol Plaza in Costa Mesa, California.[9] The next decade, the internet became accessible to the general population and became the most popular means for furry fans to socialize.[10] The newsgroup alt.fan.furry was created in November 1990, and virtual environments such as MUCKs also became popular places on the internet for fans to meet and communicate.[11]

sredgrin

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
She looks like the squirrel from Animaniacs now.

Slayven

Never read a comic in his life
Oct 25, 2017
I saw this as the number one trending. People are pressed as fuck

The Dink

Oct 28, 2017
So basically when this movie sucks the usual crowd will point to the new Lola design and blame it on the "SJW"s instead of the rest of the movie's failures, huh?

Alpheus

Oct 25, 2017
Would the "Furry" concept and community even exist now if Lola looked that way in the original Space Jam movie?
......I'm just gonna say it's been a long tradition in animation far older than Space Jam. There's always that one instance that hits widespread consciousness and for the '90s yea you're probably right it was Lola Bunny.

KillLaCam

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Seoul
It's definitely worse. The first one still looks more "strong" too lol. They could have made the old character in the new outfit

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
People act like this is the first time she's been redesigned. She got a redesign in the criminally underrated and criminally short Looney Tunes Show from 2012.

21486639.jpg

Pop-O-Matic

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So basically when this movie sucks the usual crowd will point to the new Lola design and blame it on the "SJW"s instead of the rest of the movie's failures, huh?
I'm sure that'll be a big part of it, but I also bet a lot of them will also be talking about how Lebron's political activism alienated audiences and that he should have just followed Michael "Republicans buy shoes too" Jordan's example.

dark494

Avenger
Oct 29, 2017
Seattle
I mean yeah, seems very cartoony. But also no, looks really weird and lazy. But sure that seems fine for the movie if they animate well. But eh, not a fan.

But also this thread right now 👀
tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
If you want proof that internet borders dont exist pull up resetera, twitter and a chan fourm on seperate tabs and watch people get angry about a cartoon rabbit's sexiness on all 3 sites

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
I'm frankly surprised, after the complete rework WB gave her on The Looney Tunes Show, that they'd actually go with what's effectively the old design (and most likely the old character vs. the nuthouse she is on LTS) but just not horny-on-main.

ESmxwxzUUAEbrpV.jpg

Remember when right-wing Twitter had the exact same freak-out when this version of Lola happened years back? Pepperidge Farm fucking remembers.
LTS didn't exactly set the world on fire, so I don't see why it would become the standard going forward.

Shedinja

Nov 30, 2017
I have zero interest in Space Jam, but I hope this is Fox News' next "cancel culture" story after a week of Dr. Seuss is over.

People act like this is the first time she's been redesigned. She got a redesign in the criminally underrated and criminally short Looney Tunes Show from 2012.

21486639.jpg
Legitimately my favorite Looney Tunes media. Daffy was the highlight but she was hilarious on that show. Kristen Wiig did a great job.

Kapryov

Oct 27, 2017
Australia
Due to how that pic is cropped in the tweet, it makes both designs look the same height at first, but with the new one having out of control taffy legs

AlexFlame116

Prophet of Truth - One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Utah
Something seems off with new Lola's head. I don't know why but it doesn't seem right to me.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
I have zero interest in Space Jam, but I hope this is Fox News' next "cancel culture" story after a week of Dr. Seuss is over.

Legitimately my favorite Looney Tunes media. Daffy was the highlight but she was hilarious on that show. Kristen Wiig did a great job.

This is required.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
The in-film shot with her looks great. I think something is up with her head/neck in the picture that is probably just a weird angle thing and she'll look fine elsewhere.

I say this as a person who had a big Lola crush when they were six and is fine with the redesign.

Parthenios

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
I'm fine with not having a sexy rabbit in a kids' movie, but I think I'm not fine with characterizing it as "now it's strong"

Equating removal of feminine features with strength seems pretty bad.

DemyxC

Dec 3, 2020
I'm fine with it being less sexy but I don't like the new design, but it's whatever.

Last edited:

Judau

Oct 28, 2017
Damn looking at the faces it is like Lola in her 20's vs. Lola in her 40's.

Yeah, that's weird. I get that they wanted to tone down her sexiness or whatever, but why change her face like that? It's not like anyone expects Looney Tunes characters to age in real-time, or at all.

Aurongel

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
She lacks that 1990's "Barbie doll proportion" look. I don't see how this is anything other than an upgrade. Nostalgia be damned, I think there's a way to draw this character that doesn't just devolve into the hyper-sexualized trash the original ended up being.

Judy Hopps has a conservative design in terms of proportionality and it never hindered her from becoming a modern furry icon.

EDIT: no one avatar quote me pls thx

Status
Not open for further replies.