• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
And that is very clearly the A ending N word still? I've been listening to it numerous times and honestly it sounds like he said the N word, is trying to back pedal and come up with any reason to deny it.
It doesn't sound like that at all, but fair enough if you can't hear it.

Dosia

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If it is that difficult to make out what he said, he probably shouldn't be banned.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
Shit I can't seem to listen to the audio only one. They're not the same moment ?

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It doesn't sound like that at all, but fair enough if you can't hear it.
Listen to it slowed down. He clearly says idiots. There is not a single n or er sound at all.

Slowed down there is an insanely clear N and igga sound. Combined together. No component of idiot at all.

A guy saying the N word as plain as day and it's "no, he's saying negative" "no he's saying idiot"
Alrighty then. That's certainly a new way to look at this.

Oct 25, 2017
You may be right. This is entirely possible. But nothing here deliberately proved anyone that he was saying "idiots" either. Let me explain. It's not a Laurel/Yanny situation where it was a clear experiment with a real answer as the word that was pronunced behind. There was an absolute truth as to what was pronunced. Here's it's really open to interpretation I think. In this office, where I work, I sent the voiceclip to 4 persons now and they all hear the N-word. None of them were conditioned to hear the N-word as I didn't told them to tell me "whether they heard the N-word or idiot". I simply sent them the voiceclip without anything else and they all replied me something along the lines of "fucking racist pos".

What I'm saying is: Perhaps he's saying "idiots". Perhaps he's saying the N-word. The confidence in perception is affecting people who hear the N-word just as much as the people who are convinced he said "idiots"...
Is it possible that you merely sending the clip communicated to the recipients in a subtle way that they should expect something unsavory?

I mean, I wouldn't blame anyone for expecting to hear racist language from a twitch streamer. I think that's why there are so many people on the n-word side in this case, because twitch, as an entity, is having a problem with this stuff lately. It's on the tip of everybody's brain to connect gamers/streamers and racism.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
Listen to it slowed down. He clearly says idiots. There is not a single n or er sound at all.
Slowed down there is an insanely clear N and igga sound. Combined together. No component of idiot at all.

A guy saying the N word as plain as day and it's "no, he's saying negative" "no he's saying idiot"
then you need to check your hearing.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
Nice edit.

An no, it's clearly idiot. Hence the thread being the way it is.

How so? There's no component of the word idiot there. It's as plain as day the A ending n word.
You're wrong here, imo.

The rhythm of the slowed down one clearly shows a 3 part word that clearly says i-dii-otss.

Sorel

Oct 27, 2017
I don't hear any G sound or R sound in any of the vids. There's definitely a N in the beginning but, that's just a fucking N, especially when the word just before end by a N sound.

For example in my language there might be a sound transition between two words. I could see myself saying "fuckin-nidiots"

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nice edit.

An no, it's clearly idiot. Hence the thread being the way it is.

I didn't "edit" anything. That post has been the same since I posted it. But nice attempt at what? Saying I accused you of racism or??? (I mean, you're defending a guy saying the n word so.....) Like, what?

And no, it's clearly the n word.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I didn't "edit" anything. That post has been the same since I posted it. But nice attempt at what? Saying I accused you of racism or??? (I mean, you're defending a guy saying the n word so.....) Like, what?

Yes you did, you added in the second paragraph after you hit reply because when I quoted you right after you posted it wasn't there. Flash edits don't get the edit tag, there's a brief window.

And no, it's not clearly the n-word. You're hearing that one wrong, imo.

riotous

Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
I think people aren't all listening to the same clips lol...

In the one where he says "Holy shit kill these ___" it's plain as day "idiots" to me.. like if I REALLY stretch while listening to it I can imagine how someone not paying much attention might hear something different, but with analysis it's idiots.

The other clip where he just says "Fucking ____" sounds like he's saying n---a, but it isn't 100%.. and is that even him talking? Sounds like a different person, and judging by the faces on the video, is he streaming with a black guy?

I have a feeling a lot of the people saying there's NO CHANCE he said idiot are listening to clip 2, where he definitely doesn't say idiots.

Amaterasu

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
He's clearly saying idiots, though he's probably a bit flustered at the moment playing the game and flubbed it a bit. I get tongue tied and mess up words all the time when I'm riled up.

7thFloor

Oct 27, 2017
U.S.

So what's more likely? You hearing it correctly over the 95% that hear idiot, or the inverse?

astro

Oct 25, 2017
I can hear the n-word if I go in primed to hear it in the original clip.

The slowed down version is crystal clear.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD

Were you a yanny or laurel person? Were you ever able to hear it both ways?

Keep trying here. I heard it as the slur at first, but on subsequent listenings can not even detect an n or g sound, especially at 0.25x. There is clearly an auditory illusion here.

OP
OP
Scratches

Scratches

Oct 25, 2017
You said "that everyone":

"The point of the thread I was trying to make (and why I gave all that context in the OP) and clearly failed is that everyone was bending over backwards without even hearing the proper clip, like the Riot employee"

I interpreted that to mean multiple people
"is that everyone was bending over backwards, without even hearing the proper clip like the Riot employee, or going after women [...]"
Maybe that's worded better. Sorry.

But it wasn't only Riot Blaustoise:
TF Blade gets suspended on Twitch after Twitch chat mishears him say "negative" | Dot Esports
During a recent stream, TF Blade claims he said the word "negative," but Twitch and some people listening claim he actually said the n-word.

There isn't a clip of the incident, though some streamers are taking TF Blade's side.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yes you did, you added in the second paragraph it in after you hit reply because when I quoted you right after you posted it wasn't there. Flash edits don't get the edit tag, there's a brief window.

And no, it's not clearly the n-word. You're hearing that one wrong, imo.

No, I didn't. The post is the same as when I posted it the first time. Now you're just making up shit about my post and trying to what? Act like you're a victim here? That I insulted you? What are you even trying to do?
That you're willing to make up shit about my posts just makes me further side-eye this whole thing.

Qudi

Jul 26, 2018
All i can hear are 3 syllables. Which indicates that he said idiots and not the racial slur. An unjustified ban imo.

astro

Oct 25, 2017
No, I didn't. The post is the same as when I posted it the first time. Now you're just making up shit about my post and trying to what? Act like you're a victim here? That I insulted you? What are you even trying to do?
That you're willing to make up shit about my posts just makes me further side-eye this whole thing.
I didn't edit my post, I know that 100%. I quoted it after you hit reply, so I know without doubt that you're being dishonest and did indeed drop in an edit after you hit reply for the first time.

Ignored, no time for this.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Were you a yanny or laurel person? Were you ever able to hear it both ways?

Keep trying here. I heard it as the slur at first, but on subsequent listenings can not even detect an n or g sound, especially at 0.25x. There is clearly an auditory illusion here.

I could hear it both ways.
But there's no yanny/laurel situation here. It's a very clear N and igga sound. No syllable of idiot.

AntiMacro

Oct 27, 2017
Alberta
I heard the n word in the office, playing on crap speakers at lower volumes. Switched to Sennheiser headphones and cranked it up and it sounds like idiots.

Pulled two people off the floor in and made them listen to it without context, one on the speakers and the other with the headphones. They both went the same way I did. n-word on speaker, idiot on headphones.

I'm not sure I can say which he actually said, but in my mind there's now certainly room for it to be either.

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
User banned (2 weeks): inflammatory accusations against other members, arguing in bad faith by misrepresenting information + long history of hostility
I didn't edit my post, I know that 100%. I quoted it after you hit reply, so I know without doubt that you're being dishonest and did indeed drop in an edit after you hit reply for the first time.

Ignored, no time for this.

You're the one accusing me of doing something I didn't in an immature manner while also defending the n word. That combined together just makes me think you're willing to go to whatever lengths to defend racist shit. :shrug:

this time an actual edit: I was about to put you on ignore myself, for....exactly that immature behavior

marrec

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
But there's no yanny/laurel situation here. It's a very clear N and igga sound. No syllable of idiot.

Your certainty is admirable, but entirely misplaced and shows a deep ignorance of auditory illusions brought on by ambiguity and priming. This is not a "clear" case of either or, if it were then near 100% of native speakers would be hearing one thing or the other.

Especially when the syllables between the two words are very similar. A nasal "i" in "idiots" could easily turn into an "n" and the "d" could easily turn into "g".

kraftdinner

Alt account
Banned
Mar 8, 2019
Is it possible that you merely sending the clip communicated to the recipients in a subtle way that they should expect something unsavory?

I mean, I wouldn't blame anyone for expecting to hear racist language from a twitch streamer. I think that's why there are so many people on the n-word side in this case, because twitch, as an entity, is having a problem with this stuff lately. It's on the tip of everybody's brain to connect gamers/streamers and racism.

I honestly do not know. It's possible, just like it's possible it's not, if you get what I mean. I can tell you none of them play videogames and I don't think a single one knows what Twitch is. I even went the extra way to download the audioclip and rename it "audioclip" so they basically didn't even know where it was from.

But you know, I'm not all that close with them, save the usual standard working relationship. Who knows what they really were predisposed to hear really! Perhaps you're right. But then again perhaps you're not :/

At this point I feel like I would give the guy the benefit of the doubt if it weren't for that second audioclip with a 2 syllables "negative"....

OrdinaryPrime

Self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Your certainty is admirable, but entirely misplaced and shows a deep ignorance of auditory illusions brought on by ambiguity and priming. This is not a "clear" case of either or, if it were then near 100% of native speakers would be hearing one thing or the other.

So is there a reason why you're only responding to people who hear the n word?

Oct 27, 2017
So what do you think?
I think if he didn't say it, he and his followers have every right to be upset. When I listen to it, I definitely dont hear a slur. Anyone who claims with 100 percent certainty they know what he is saying is 100 percent full of shit. And if Twitch can't be definitive about a slur, they have no business banning people.

Purdy

Oct 27, 2017
First one clearly idiots

Second clip is that 'negev' which I assume is a CS 'meme' for saying 'nigga' but not actually? (Heard people say what up my negev)

Älg

Banned
May 13, 2018
I don't know what I'm hearing, but it definitely ain't the n-word.

If anything I could stretch to "Negus", as in "Kendrick Lamar, by far, realest Negus alive".

Bakercat

Oct 27, 2017
'merica
I don't know how DSP is still on Twitch honestly.

Rumor is that he has someone at Twitch who vouches or helps him not get banned, or at the very least get them reduced. When he got banned the second time for threatening a kid, he was initially suspended indefinitely, but got it reduced to 3 days. His first one was making fun of another streamer's physical appearance which got him 7 days, but he complained and got it down to 24 hours.

Dracil

Oct 30, 2017
WTF I only hear the N-word. This really is yanny/laurel.

The main thing is I hear a "g" sound in the middle and ending with "az", which should not happen with idiots.

HiredN00bs

Oct 25, 2017
Laurel, MD
If you're talking about the first clip where he can be heard saying "holy shit, kill these idiots," I am certain it can be heard either way because I have heard it both ways on different hearings of the same recording. Keep trying and you might be able to see that you're mistaken about this. Listen the audio at 0.25x

Novel

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Especially when the syllables between the two words are very similar. A nasal "i" in "idiots" could easily turn into an "n" and the "d" could easily turn into "g".

I know what those concepts are and have studied language and it's part within psychology.
This isn't a priming case for me. It's as plain as day no matter how times I listen to this.

Orb

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
USA
You can tell he realized he screwed up as soon as he said it

put him in the fucking bin

Status
Not open for further replies.