• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
if you search "sky williams" on the twitter app, it'll auto suggest "sky williams epstein"

chaobreaker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Its been like three days of Sky posting tweets like "Oh wow I didn't know that happened but I have a prepared statement" or "Don't worry y'all I have the receipts all it's just take a while".

Meanwhile Jisu and others compiled a 60+ page twitlonger and more and more accounts are posting their own stories and receipts on Sky.

He's a manipulative liar and should not be trusted.

Deleted member 5596

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I doubt, he didn't know anything, but if that was the case (100% unlikely), those kids were your responsibility, why would you let adults you don't know fuck about hang around and sleep with kids in the same house? How in the hell you didn't regularly checked that nothing wrong was going on? And how the hell you did allow minors live there in the first place?

Rats

Oct 25, 2017
The best thing I could possibly say about this dude is that he was criminally negligent. And I'm not convinced that's where his culpability ends.

mindsale

Oct 29, 2017
Someone really oughtta explain liability to this guy. Abhorrent behavior. Has Nintendo released a comment on how seemingly all competitive Smash players are revolting?

eosos

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
So weird how toxic multiplayer video game communities are, even compared to typical pro sports (NFL, NBA, etc..). Sort of feel like the incel community is very pervasive and I think video game circles and this is the result...

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Dude sounds super shady and I knew nothing of the Smash community til this week.
He sounds dodgy and weird on twitter and keeps claiming he will make a statement but hasn't.
Talking to people privately, polling users on how to respond (WTF?!).
In the end he owned a house and let minors and adults mingle 24/7 with 0 adult supervision. It's his house and it's his responsibility to make it a safe space.
We don't know facts on what he knew yet, but I would be very surprised to find out he actually knew nothing about what was happening. At the very least his job was to make that house safe and that obviously didn't happen so I feel like some more shocks are to come.

Omegamon

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I hope Nintendo makes a vídeo where is just Sakurai and he says "Fuck Smash fans"

Tagyhag

Oct 27, 2017
I don't see how he thinks he can get out of this unscathed.

At the VERY BEST (And most unrealistic) he never ever stepped foot in his house and did not know of anything going on, but still allowed minors to live there without any type of supervision or safety guardians.

Trike

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Nov 6, 2017
Yea they made a statement. That's about all their going to do. No one should expect them to do more outside of that.

They're also removing videos that feature the offenders. I agree though, at this point they just really made a game. No reason to make a larger statement because they're not really involved.

construct

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Jun 5, 2020
東京
Nintendo did make a statement to IGN. Though it was brief, they're clearly disgusted by all of this predatory and abusive behavior,, and they stand with the victims. Which should obviously go without saying, but they said it.
This is EXACTLY why Nintendo wanted nothing to do with the competitive smash scene.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo must have a damn fortune teller on the payroll.
I stand corrected and am surprised.

samred

Amico fun conversationalist
Nov 4, 2017
Seattle, WA
Professionally, I am completely outside the circle of esports. My Ars job involves very, very little interaction with esports competitors or organizers, Smash-related or otherwise. With that out of the way, here's my stream-of-consciousness take on behavior in general, not on any specific allegations:

Socialized structures mimic and ape what has come before them, and esports doesn't really have a ton of established systems for adult leadership and role modeling. Think about the scandal-filled world of Western athletic sports, which at least has a sort of academic/school system in its skeleton and DNA, then compare that to the clubs and arcades where hierarchies manifest almost entirely by the social pecking order of whoever shows up to an arcade or event—and then compound that with the inflated sense of self that Twitch adds to esports pros, when their business model revolves around "look up to me and donate money, while I refer to hundreds of you viewers simultaneously as a collective 'chat.'"

It's arguably more comparable to cities' music scenes, where social misfits and outcasts gather in dark bars/clubs with certain fandoms and interests in common, along with a chip on their shoulder of being exclusive or "indie." Those scenes are their own mess, but at least they don't have prize money and tournament bravado dumped on top.

At any rate, this story stands out because top-down modeling of behavior absolutely matters. Who has the money and the power in an esports scene—who takes people in and helps them get to out-of-town events and have a bed to sleep in—and what do they do with it? And what happens if the people running events, whether they're grassroots or corporate, are more diverse across the board? (Plus, who is *already* modeling that behavior? Who can we celebrate right now, in 2020, for getting this sort of thing right?)

Gridman

Oct 25, 2017
I'm surprised at how large this house of his sounds. All that, for gaming? I hope all the victims can safely come forward and hold these disgusting individuals accountable for their actions. This is most likely the tip of the iceberg, unfortunately, with a place as big as that with as many people knowingly covering up and defending such sickening acts.

Watershed

Oct 26, 2017
Sky is trying to make this go away by working behind the scenes and stalling in public. He seems to be holding to the notion that he can't be blamed for anything even though the receipts we already have are pretty damning (see his "I'm lawyering up" message). He has a lot of fault to shoulder and his claims of innocence are going to go about as well as Zero's did.

ReginaldXIV

Nov 4, 2017
Minnesota
There is like no way he didn't know there was a pedophile sex ring operating out of his own house if he's the one supplying drugs and alcohol to his guests.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Okay so the reason he could afford a huge house is from his YT career.

As I thought. Not to shame making that money that way but I'm guessing a lot of lessons he might've learned about acceptable behavior and responsibility was skipped over, and so having an obscene amount of money without any grounding behind it probably led to less than savory behaviors and not realizing the issues with hosting multiple people in his home without really them being vouched.

SecondNature

Oct 25, 2017
I'm trying to wrap my head around how any of this was ever acceptable. Where are parents in these situations? Why aren't fans and regular people not immediately going "hold up" when they hear about minors living with fucking strangers? I don't understand this.

Gamers from all around the world come together for a tournament. There is a hierarchy of power with top players, and younger players growing up within the scene. They dont all go home or stay in separate places. There is no authority as its community run. Adults are inviting children over to sleep over. It should be an absolute given that alcohol would turn up, so what did people think the kids were doing? I don't follow these gaming scenes, but if I did, I dont see how anyone wouldn't be putting two and two together.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Apparently a lot of the folks had strained relationships with their family...

So there was some vulnerability that could be taken advantage of.

CenaToon

Oct 25, 2017
"I didn't knew that Pedophilia and sexual harassment was happening IN MY OWN HOUSE. I have receipts!"

Just try to read this with any drop of seriousness. Just try.

Oct 25, 2017
You know in the beginning I was willing to believe Sky was, through sheer ignorance, not directly culpable or aware of the shit going on in that house, because he's that self absorbed in himself. But nah. He dirty.

WildEagle18

Feb 22, 2018
I'm trying to wrap my head around how any of this was ever acceptable. Where are parents in these situations? Why aren't fans and regular people not immediately going "hold up" when they hear about minors living with fucking strangers? I don't understand this.

Gamers from all around the world come together for a tournament. There is a hierarchy of power with top players, and younger players growing up within the scene. They dont all go home or stay in separate places. There is no authority as its community run. Adults are inviting children over to sleep over. It should be an absolute given that alcohol would turn up, so what did people think the kids were doing? I don't follow these gaming scenes, but if I did, I dont see how anyone wouldn't be putting two and two together.

In case like Jisu she ran away from home. People have different circumstances, some of these people trusted the Sky and community for rent as the "Sky House" was a place in a community where top players lives or rent when traveling to a competition. Its hard to say "where are the adults/parents" when some of the runaways are in Sky House because they had nowhere to go.

This happens because the competitive smash scene is smaller than the other FGC, so you have someone like Sky willing to host/rent room for these players for when they need for certain circumstances. Also we didn't really hear about this until now, the only thing known about Sky House before was that Smash players gathers to his house for rent and stuff. It wasn't until Puppeh's statement against Cinnie that the flood gate was open and victims started mentioning the horror that happened in Sky's House.

sibarraz

Prophet of Regret - One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
This is EXACTLY why Nintendo wanted nothing to do with the competitive smash scene.

As far as I'm concerned Nintendo must have a damn fortune teller on the payroll.

Lol, Nintendo wanted nothing with the Smash scene because they are cheap as fuck and also never thought of Smash as an competitive videogame.

Besides, if Nintendo was aware of the shodiness of the Smash scene, it would be basically mean that they were covering up a huge pedophile/sexual harasment enviromment. Im sure that the second that Nintendo knew about this they would have uncovered it.

But in the end, Nintendo was very active with the smash scene in their own way, they awknowledged them at events and their social media channels, because they knew it was free PR without having to gice huge prize pools

Mr. Virus

Oct 27, 2017
Had no idea he was a Smash/LoL person, just that he was a GG apologist way back when which always made me wonder why he kept popping up every so often.

Still, jesus fucking christ at trying to wriggle out of this. All those kids being taken advantage of :(. Eww eww eww.

garion333

Oct 27, 2017
Socialized structures mimic and ape what has come before them, and esports doesn't really have a ton of established systems for adult leadership and role modeling. Think about the scandal-filled world of Western athletic sports, which at least has a sort of academic/school system in its skeleton and DNA, then compare that to the clubs and arcades where hierarchies manifest almost entirely by the social pecking order of whoever shows up to an arcade or event—and then compound that with the inflated sense of self that Twitch adds to esports pros, when their business model revolves around "look up to me and donate money, while I refer to hundreds of you viewers simultaneously as a collective 'chat.'"

Steam of consciousness or otherwise, this pretty much distills much of why I don't find a lot of this shocking.

Stuff like this goes on all the time, everywhere, but considering that fighting games attract a different type of player than, say, Animal Crossing means that the community easily attracts narcissistic asshats. Add in the internet, fame, money and power and suddenly they've got easy access to a LOT of more vulnerable populations than they'd otherwise have access to.

I'm not saying it necessarily attracted pedos, etc, but the mix of everything clearly created a perfect storm.

Annabel

Mar 22, 2019
I can't believe he's still saying he didn't know anything, there's literally dozens of incriminating screenshots of him and he still has the balls to say "that paragraph has nothing true in it".

Like, holy shit.

Deleted member 32679

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Remember the time he was hesitant to call JonTron racist after his Destiny debate just because he found him attractive and was his type.

Tsuyu

Oct 25, 2017
"ching chong"/"underage pussy"/"jackie jackie jackie"

Fuck this guy, his responses towards all theses resemble manipulative psychopath

Oct 25, 2017
After reading these stories, as a parent how could you send your kid to these events even if they say they are safe now and everything is okay?

I think FGC events will never be the same and they shouldnt be the same, especially in regards to minors

Aug 27, 2019
Holy shit. Isn't there even a meme about Dunkey beating Sky in Smash or something like that?
Yeah, there was. Sky was 100% one of my favorite guests Dunkey had on the channel (definitely not the case anymore). I always wondered why he never showed up anymore. Starting to wonder if Dunkey felt something was off

LincolnTunnel

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
After reading these stories, as a parent how could you send your kid to these events even if they say they are safe now and everything is okay?

I think FGC events will never be the same and they shouldnt be the same, especially in regards to minors
A parent should never have had the option to "Send" their kid to the tournament anyway. They should have been required to chaperone them.

OP
OP
SalvaPot

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, there was. Sky was 100% one of my favorite guests Dunkey had on the channel (definitely not the case anymore). I always wondered why he never showed up anymore. Starting to wonder if Dunkey felt something was off
Nothing confirmed, but there was rumours that he had beef with Dunkey's wife. But again, just rumours, only they know.