• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Look I'm not gonna tell anyone they've gotta be happy with anything wrt a character and the depiction of their bisexuality, what I am going to say is that all depictions of bisexuality are valid. We're real, we're people, and we come in a lot of different shapes. Loki saying "yeah I'm bi" isn't just "progress" or whatever, it's what his sexuality means to him and it's okay if that's all it is. He does not need to find both a girlfriend and a boyfriend before he is really actually truly bisexual. If Loki fails you then that doesn't mean he needs to be fixed, it means we need more bisexual characters period.

We need every kind of Queer character because we've been erased for so damn long. There isn't one correct way to do this, every Queer character matters.

Honestly I agree with you. It's just that given Disney's history there's a part of me that's always like "the lowkey nature of this is less a choice and more the only way they want to do it so people can pretend it's not there." So I always celebrate but sort not really at the same time if that makes sense.

I'm always torn between every queer character mattering and feeling upset when it feels like companies are trying to toe the line between showing enough representation to get our support but not enough to offend homophobes. But I know what you mean and I agree with it, it's just hard not to feel cynical sometimes you know :/

nonoriri

Apr 30, 2020
I'm genuinely happy about this but going into the mythological background of this character it would be extremely questionable if they did NOT do this and decided to ignore a huge part of what makes Loki who they are.

I think Marvel needs to really step it the fuck up with queer rep in their more grounded characters.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018
Look I'm not gonna tell anyone they've gotta be happy with anything wrt a character and the depiction of their bisexuality, what I am going to say is that all depictions of bisexuality are valid. We're real, we're people, and we come in a lot of different shapes. Loki saying "yeah I'm bi" isn't just "progress" or whatever, it's what his sexuality means to him and it's okay if that's all it is. He does not need to find both a girlfriend and a boyfriend before he is really actually truly bisexual. If Loki fails you then that doesn't mean he needs to be fixed, it means we need more bisexual characters period.

We need every kind of Queer character because we've been erased for so damn long. There isn't one correct way to do this, every Queer character matters.
I hear you, but this still continues a pattern of Marvel's/Disney's, of taking a "checkbox" approach to representation, where the mildest and most passing forms (which are also the most easily erased for certain overseas markets) are always the ones chosen. As long as they check that box, no matter how meekly they do it, they get those headlines and brownie points, so why bother doing more?

Then again, who knows? Maybe they get super into his sexuality later on in Loki and make me eat my words.

But I doubt it.

Chikor

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Man, people give Marvel way too much props over the smallest shit. Talk to me when Loki is actually showing that side of his sexuality. Like, MCU Loki is way more sexually tame than mythological Loki.

I'm not ragging on the show since I really liked the episode, but let's not try and act as though Marvel is doing something amazing here. We can expect more.
Seriously.
I am not saying small steps are worthless or that I would rather if Loki was not bi.
But Marvel have still to have two guys kiss on screen, in 2021, after lord knows how many hours of entertainment.
And I'm picking two guys kissing here because this is the type of shit that will get conservatives actually angry at them and might hurt their bottom line.
So they do stuff that is just enough to get good press but not enough to get conservatives organizing a boycott campaigns.

And like I get it, they are a for profit venture after all and I lower my expectation from them appropriately, but I really think that overall they get too much praise for their stance on these issues, which I think have been pretty cynical.

Lunar Wolf

Banned
Nov 6, 2017
Los Angeles
Personally, as a bisexual man, I'd rather have found this out watching the show than through a news thread, but hey good news is good news and I guess it's on me for not watching the episodes as soon as they drop.

Hope they actually show it instead of trying to just show the bare minimum though.

I mean to be fair, this is more than the bare minimum already.

Trup1aya

Literally a train safety expert
Oct 25, 2017
When the Loki ad described the character as gender fluid, The anti-PC crowd loss their shit, despite the character being based on a gender-fluid Norse diety. I bet they're irrationally losing their shit over this. Lol.

Anyway, this is baby steps for Marvel, but I'm glad they seem to be moving towards the right direction. They could have did Loki like the did Valkyrie.

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
Do they actually get too much praise? Where? Here or overall? Feels like there's more talk here about how it's not good enough than actual praise. That's with any of these types of threads.

I'm happy there is bi representation but I'm personally excited about the trans subtext with Slyvie.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly I agree with you. It's just that given Disney's history there's a part of me that's always like "the lowkey nature of this is less a choice and more the only way they want to do it so people can pretend it's not there." So I always celebrate but sort not really at the same time if that makes sense.

I'm always torn between every queer character mattering and feeling upset when it feels like companies are trying to toe the line between showing enough representation to get our support but not enough to offend homophobes. But I know what you mean and I agree with it, it's just hard not to feel cynical sometimes you know :/
I hear you, but this still continues a pattern of Marvel's/Disney's, of taking a "checkbox" approach to representation, where the mildest and most passing forms (which are also the most easily erased for certain overseas markets) are always the ones chosen. As long as they check that box, no matter how meekly they do it, they get those headlines and brownie points, so why bother doing more?

Then again, who knows? Maybe they get super into his sexuality later on in Loki and make me eat my words.

But I doubt it.

Look I know shit from big companies ain't ever for anyone's benefit, like Sonic the Hedgehog says, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

What I am trying to enunciate is that a Queer character going "oh yeah I'm Queer" and leaving it at that? That's still a Queer character. That's still a real way we can deal with our sexuality. Queer characters can exist in stories that aren't openly, explicitly about them being Queer.

I am exhausted with searching for perfect Queer characters, because a character having to be as many Queer experiences as possible is way more of a fucking checklist. If this is how Loki will deal with his sexuality then I am honest to god fine with it, because I shouldn't need this one bisexual dude to carry the weight of bisexual representation by himself.

IneptEMP

Jan 14, 2019

And that's fine, but folks need to be telling Disney this. Not just each other.

Because we all know damn well Disney already has a list of what sexualities and depictions or sexualities are valid — and which ones aren't.

Star-Lord

Oct 25, 2017
I'm happy but it's literally one line that could be missed quickly. I feel like they need to just commit, make it known. It's sad that we make a huge deal over something that should be implemented already naturally in today's time but this is the reality we get excited over a single line and not a bigger scene. :(

Necromanti

Oct 25, 2017
Being happy for some representation and being unsatisfied with the extent of it both seem like reasonable reactions.

ScoobsJoestar

May 30, 2019
Look I know shit from big companies ain't ever for anyone's benefit, like Sonic the Hedgehog says, there is no ethical consumption under capitalism.

What I am trying to enunciate is that a Queer character going "oh yeah I'm Queer" and leaving it at that? That's still a Queer character. That's still a real way we can deal with our sexuality. Queer characters can exist in stories that aren't openly, explicitly about them being Queer.

I am exhausted with searching for perfect Queer characters, because a character having to be as many Queer experiences as possible is way more of a fucking checklist. If this is how Loki will deal with his sexuality then I am honest to god fine with it, because I shouldn't need this one bisexual dude to carry the weight of bisexual representation by himself.

I mean, I'm not saying he's not a queer character. End of the day as a bisexual dude seeing a bisexual dude on tv, especially one of my favorite characters, is like so rad. But I don't think being happy and still not being fully into it have to be mutually exclusive. I'm not really searching for a perfect character, but I don't think there's anything wrong with going "Hey, rad. Have my reservations about it, but still, happy it happened."

Daria

Oct 25, 2017
The Twilight Zone
They could have easily continued out without any mention of this, but they did, and I think that is a good first step. Was it calculated to premier during pride month? I'm sure it was, but again, it's a step forward. Not enough, but a step.

Wanderer5

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere.
Hey, small as it is, it definitely felt like a nice scene, and a little better than something like Le Fou, or those two ladies in Rise of Skywalker.

Plus the lighting was great too in that moment.

fontguy

Avenger
Oct 8, 2018

You keep referring to the character as though it's an actual person we're burdening. This character can be absolutely anything the creators want it to be, and Marvel/Disney have a very specific set of rules for what a queer character can and cannot be.

I included that tweet from Alex Hirsch not to underline that Disney has ulterior motives, or that they aren't allies, but to make it explicitly clear that they are actually, if anything, our adversaries. They censor substantial, undeniable representation and replace it with as close to nothing as they can.

I'm not asking for perfect representation. Hell, I'm not really asking for anything other than for people to stop doing Disney's PR work for them.

And that's fine, but folks need to be telling Disney this. Not just each other.

Because we all know damn well Disney already has a list of what sexualities and depictions or sexualities are valid — and which ones aren't.
Right. It's not like Disney is bringing us a broad spectrum of representation and people are upset that some of it is low key. It's that it's all low key all the time.

subpar spatula

Refuses to Wash his Ass
Oct 26, 2017
It seems LGBT is the only thing Marvel won't try to explore in an actual movie or TV show. It makes you wonder why that is when they have movies like Black Panther, Captain Marvel, Shang Chi, and Ms Marvel. There has to be something happening at Disney/Marvel that is shutting down any kind of show or movie that is thematically tied to the LGBT community. They obviously know people criticize Disney/Marvel and want one because they do these small gestures and pat themselves on the back. Like, they are obviously not against certain movies leaning more towards a certain audience.

Watchtower

Oct 27, 2017
Someone LGBT please correct me if I misspeak, but the way I see it it's not the drop that's significant but that it's Loki that's significant. Like, if they pulled this line with Mobius, sure, it's cool, definitely interesting for an Owen Wilson character, but otherwise who gives a shit. But it's Loki, one of the most major characters of the MCU and one I imagine (and hope) will continue to be major for the foreseeable future. And he (emphasis he, because he's chatting with an alternate universe version of himself) pretty unambiguously confirms he's bi. Yes, it's certainly not enough on its own, the MCU can certainly do a lot more, but the bi community officially getting to claim him is still a significant win even if he's not "proving his credentials".

The MCU's future has me cautiously optimistic on this front. We're getting America Chavez, the lesbian daughter of lesbian mothers, and we're getting Kate Bishop, who as of late has been depicted more bi. We've gotten Billy Maximoff, the biggest gay hero in the Marvel canon, and we're most likely getting him and his brother Tommy (who's also gay) back, and if you're focusing on Billy you have to pull in Teddy as well. And who knows, there's always the chance Phastos in Eternals actually isn't the complete joke everyone's expecting him to be (yes I know it got leaked, no I don't want to know about it yet).

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
So he was asked "Want-to-be Princesses? Or another Prince?"

"A bit of both" was their reply.

Since Balder isn't in the MCU... Thor?

Einchy

Oct 25, 2017
We have to stop congratulating Disney every time they drop subtle hints like this, it's just cowardice.
It was neither subtle nor a hint.

It's fine if you don't want to congratulate them but don't make it sound like this is less than what is actually is.

So he was asked "Want-to-be Princesses? Or another Prince?"

"A bit of both" was their reply.

Since Balder isn't in the MCU... Thor?
Thor? As in his brother Thor?

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
I'm just saying, they did this before.

zqesocf0yxd31.jpg
I loved that scene too, while recognizing that it was a small and insufficient step in the much larger project of fully normalizing LGBTQIA+ people and relstionships in the MCU.

deimosmasque

Ugly, Queer, Gender-Fluid, Drive-In Mutant, yes?
Apr 22, 2018
Tampa, Fl
It was neither subtle nor a hint.

It's fine if you don't want to congratulate them but don't make it sound like this is less than what is actually is.

Thor? As in his brother Thor?
What other Princes of Asgard do you know?

I'll repeat. She asked "Would be Princesses" and "Other Princes"

When Thor 1 started their were only two Princes of Asgard, and Loki was one of them.

Keldroc

Oct 27, 2017

When Thor 1 started their were only two Princes of Asgard, and Loki was one of them.

There are "the nine worlds," as repeatedly stated in Thor 1, and princes among many kingdoms on them. Thor is assuredly not the only prince Loki has ever met.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Someone LGBT please correct me if I misspeak, but the way I see it it's not the drop that's significant but that it's Loki that's significant. Like, if they pulled this line with Mobius, sure, it's cool, definitely interesting for an Owen Wilson character, but otherwise who gives a shit. But it's Loki, one of the most major characters of the MCU and one I imagine (and hope) will continue to be major for the foreseeable future. And he (emphasis he, because he's chatting with an alternate universe version of himself) pretty unambiguously confirms he's bi.
Your assessment is sound. Loki is not a throwaway character, hence why some of us acknowledge this is a promising first step (and we're all aware that this is a property in the hands of a major corporation; despite what some straight people here apparently think, Queer folks are wise enough to keep our positive feelings from rocketing into wild, unbound naivete). Beyond that, though, there will be differing levels of enthusiasm among bi fans. Some bi fans will adore the fact this is Loki we're talking about. Some bi fans will wish that the MCU had done a better job positioning a bisexual hero, someone more noble and admirable. Some bi fans won't feel any enthusiasm due to Marvel's/Disney's track record. All of these thoughts are valid.

Yes, it's certainly not enough on its own, the MCU can certainly do a lot more, but the bi community officially getting to claim him is still a significant win even if he's not "proving his credentials".
On this point, I will caution you. Bisexual people are regularly harassed in real life by people who, upon learning we are bi, insist we must "prove" that we are bi. There are a lot of weirdos who try to pressure bi folks into
*demonstrating/performing* our bisexuality - flirting, kissing, etc. They usually ask intrusive questions about past relationships and sex. These same assholes are often quick to get angry when they learn their preconceived notions account for only a fraction of bi folks; they challenge or condescend to bisexual people who are not attracted to men and women equally, or to bisexual people who are attracted to non-binary individuals, for example.

Don't get me wrong; I know you didn't mean any harm by your statement. It's just that media depictions of bisexuality have typically suffered from a lack of input from bisexuals, especially when a large number of (straight) people have convinced themselves that the "effective" depiction of a bi person is someone who goes around making out with/shagging everyone with a pulse. Granted, this is a Disney+ show, so that's a non-factor here, but in general, that's been a problem.

brainchild

Independent Developer
Verified
Nov 25, 2017

Well said. Thank you.

PhoncipleBone

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
Kentucky, USA
Correct me if I'm wrong, but it feels especially important to me when we see a man depicted as bisexual in mainstream television and film. It always feels like when bisexuality is shown, it is a woman the majority of the time because two women in a relationship or shown as being physical with each other has always been more "acceptable" in America.

(A fantastic example of this is John Constantine over on The CW's Legends of Tomorrow but that is obviously a series with a very small viewerbase as opposed to the millions and millions who will watch Loki.)

Crazy Ex Girlfriend was praised years ago for its handling of a story of a man figuring out he is bisexual. They even made a song.

CrustyButt333

Mar 18, 2021
So was this edited in other countries like Russia for example? Really wondering because this is very small in the grandeur scheme of things and I think Disney/Marvel is getting way too much credit.

MadLaughter

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

If Loki marries someone, since he isn't a king, they become a princess or prince. Any serious suitor = would-be-princess-or-prince

Spinluck

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Maybe i misremembered but I thought this was always confirmed? Maybe I'm thinking about Tessa Thompson's MCU character.

Themis

Mar 10, 2020
Man, people give Marvel way too much props over the smallest shit. Talk to me when Loki is actually showing that side of his sexuality. Like, MCU Loki is way more sexually tame than mythological Loki.

I'm not ragging on the show since I really liked the episode, but let's not try and act as though Marvel is doing something amazing here. We can expect more.
In mythology Loki was horsesexual. I don't think they would ever do that in MCU. But yes it's a little step and diversity should be something that must be in a piece of media like the MCU it shouldn't be praised especially since they had so much time to do it.

DevilMayGuy

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
I'm pretty sure that's accurate to the mythology, call me when they have him get fucked by a horse as a female horse

Yeah call me when that's episode 5. They haven't gone far enough

You ever notice how basically all of marvel's inclusion is in the form of one voice line that can easily be dubbed over to something else in other markets?

Blade24070

Oct 26, 2017
Meh, I'm over patting companies on the back for this stuff in 2021. That's why Disney constantly having their "first gay character" is fucking annoying.

That said, bisexual representation is still good and needed.