• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Platy

Oct 25, 2017
Brazil
I was thinking the other day that it must have been canceled considered how little we heard about it

Glad to be proven wrong =D

This has lots of potential

Oct 27, 2017
Not exactly. It's a good deal darker and more violent than YA fare. There are certainly elements that can appeal to the YA audience, but it's written to cast a bigger net than that one particular audience.
I also described it as a New England version of Narnia mixed with Calvin and Hobbes... written by Stephen King's son with his type of violence and horror.

Matsukaze

Oct 25, 2017
Said differently and hopefully with less snarky replies -- what are the type of characters (super/normal) and the nature of their escapades/capers (sleuth, idol drama, vampires, pulp noir, sci-magi-fiction, etc.)?
Barring a couple noteworthy exceptions, the main cast consists of normal people. The protagonists (the three siblings) are normal people who discover magic is real; they can access the magic of the keys but they're not wizards or anything of that sort. Their main endeavors focus on piecing together the history of their family home and the nature of the magic keys (which span centuries), as well as figuring out the identity and motives of the evil that is stalking them. Definitely sleuth elements, but emphasis on horror and dark fantasy.

mbpm

Oct 25, 2017
It focuses on three siblings who return to their ancestral family home in Massachusetts. There, they discover a bunch of keys with different magical properties and are stalked by a malevolent shapeshifter who wants their power for himself.
Ah sounds like all the ingredients for a good time

macjester

Dec 12, 2018
Barring a couple noteworthy exceptions, the main cast consists of normal people. The protagonists (the three siblings) are normal people who discover magic is real; they can access the magic of the keys but they're not wizards or anything of that sort. Their main endeavors focus on piecing together the history of their family home and the nature of the magic keys (which span centuries), as well as figuring out the identity and motives of the evil that is stalking them. Definitely sleuth elements, but emphasis on horror and dark fantasy.
source.gif

LBsquared

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 22, 2019
"Three siblings who move into their ancestral estate after their father's gruesome murder discover their new home's magical keys, which must be used in their stand against an evil creature who wants the keys and their powers."

10 episodes, Feb 7th.

Nov 13, 2017
Said differently and hopefully with less snarky replies -- what are the type of characters (super/normal) and the nature of their escapades/capers (sleuth, idol drama, vampires, pulp noir, sci-magi-fiction, etc.)?

Nature of enemies delves into spoilers but let's just say supernatural. Normal people dealing with it and house has keys that have supernatural effects.

macjester

Dec 12, 2018
Nature of enemies delves into spoilers but let's just say supernatural. Normal people dealing with it and house has keys that have supernatural effects.

Sounds good, I'll definitely check it out -- thanks! I appreciate the info -- I originally had no interest in the Umbrella Academy (I knew nothing about it), but I gave it a shot based on some feedback here and binged it in 2 days...loved it.

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest comics ever. Joe Hill is a fantastic writer and I have faith in this.

lol at people thinking this is a YA story. There is some FUCKED UP stuff in this story.

JeTmAn

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Locke and Key is great. Didn't even realize a TV version finally was getting made for real.

CatAssTrophy

Dec 4, 2017
Texas
I really hope they do this property justice. If it's neutered for the sake of appeasing parents so a younger audience can watch it'll be a let down.

Gaia Lanzer

Oct 25, 2017
One of the greatest comics ever. Joe Hill is a fantastic writer and I have faith in this.

lol at people thinking this is a YA story. There is some FUCKED UP stuff in this story.
Joe Hill's stories like Horns and NOS4A2 feature young adults/adults, but are generally more than that. Hell, a lot of his themes bare similar darkness to that of his dad, Stephen King. No one calls "It" a "story aimed towards children" because it features a group of kids. It's a horror story.

If anything, most of Joe Hill's works are just considered "horror" as well. If Netflix series like "Haunting at Hill House" and "Marianne" are naturally deemed "horror series", so would Locke and Key.

Mudcrab

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I adored the comics. I remeber being hyped for past attempts at making a show. I hope this one delivers.

PaulloDEC

Visited by Knack
Oct 25, 2017
Australia
Oh my god, yes. At last.

Probably my favourite comics/graphic novel. Can't wait to see what they've got lined up.

Deleted member 48897

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 22, 2018
So what I'm getting from this is, it's the thing I'm imagining The Magicians would be like if it wasn't so much like Supernatural

Oct 26, 2017
Cant believe this is finally happening. God damn. I still remember the Fox pilot that never aired lol. L&K is definitely one of my all time faves. Joe does seem to have direct input on this project so I'm hoping they deliver the goods. I'm super excited.

oh and the audiobook of Locke and Key that came out a few years back is actually stellar as well

Oct 26, 2017
All the descriptions just sound so YA though lol. And plenty of YA stuff has fucked up things in it, the whole genre of forcing kids to kill each other is all YA right back to Battle Royale. The difference between all those and something not YA like Lord of the Flies is huge even though the latter has younger characters.

I'll give this a shot though, don't mind some YA now and again, if it ends up being more mature that's a plus, and horror/dark fantasy is my cup of tea

No one calls "It" a "story aimed towards children" because it features a group of kids. It's a horror story.
Maybe there's a reason IT doesn't sound like YA and this does

Dalek

Oct 25, 2017
All the descriptions just sound so YA though lol. And plenty of YA stuff has fucked up things in it, the whole genre of forcing kids to kill each other is all YA right back to Battle Royale. The difference between all those and something not YA like Lord of the Flies is huge even though the latter has younger characters.

I'll give this a shot though, don't mind some YA now and again, if it ends up being more mature that's a plus, and horror/dark fantasy is my cup of tea

Maybe there's a reason IT doesn't sound like YA and this does

Just because the main characters are kids doesn't mean it's some crappy YA book, ffs.