• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
Good on this man.

CNN said:
After someone broke into an Augusta, Georgia, restaurant over the weekend, the owner of the business responded in an unusual way: He offered the suspect a job.

"No police, no questions. Let's sit down and talk about how we could help you and fix the road you're on," Carl Wallace wrote in a Facebook post, which included an image of the smashed door.

Wallace has owned Diablo's Southwest Grill for about eight years. He said someone broke in around 4 a.m. Saturday, took off with an empty register and was out within 45 seconds as the restaurant's alarm went off.

Wallace told CNN his initial reaction was "anger" and "frustration," but then he felt sorry for the person.

"You feel sorry that this is their chosen path in life. You also think about the dangers that this person is putting themself in every single time they do this."

Last edited:

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This should be the action taken by our justice system in these instances. We need to overcome the revenge fantasy of punitive justice.

The only people who knowingly and willingly commit crimes for profit are the rich.

Kard8p3

Oct 25, 2017
Actions like this are absolutely required to change the way our justice system, and ultimately our society, works.

Humidex

Oct 27, 2017
Fair play to them. Not many would have gone down this positive route these days,

Osu 16 Bit

QA Lead at NetherRealm Studios
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
impressive patience. As someone who's been dealing with theft lately, including literally this morning, I definitely do not have that reaction.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
This is a nice gesture, I wonder how much of it is based on the fact the burglar didn't actually get away with any money. Versus if they'd stolen a couple grand.

RPGam3r

Oct 27, 2017
This should be the action taken by our justice system in these instances. We need to overcome the revenge fantasy of punitive justice.

The only people who knowingly and willingly commit crimes for profit are the rich.

Some people like committing crimes, it's pretty naive to think that's only the rich.

mAcOdIn

Oct 27, 2017
This is a nice gesture, I wonder how much of it is based on the fact the burglar didn't actually get away with any money. Versus if they'd stolen a couple grand.
Well, he did break in so the owner probably still had to repair a door or window and that's probably as much as what someone would intelligently leave in a cash register, more than a few hundred and you're just being stupid.

Tavernade

Tavernade
Sep 18, 2018
Well, he did break in so the owner probably still had to repair a door or window and that's probably as much as what someone would intelligently leave in a cash register, more than a few hundred and you're just being stupid.

True. I'd say the window/door is probably covered by insurance but I imagine they could also be insured for the stolen money too.

DaciaJC

Banned
Oct 29, 2017

So 95 percent of robbers and burglars are just misguided thrillseekers? Why else would most people steal if not to profit themselves?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So 95 percent of robbers and burglars are just misguided thrillseekers? Why else would most people steal if not to profit themselves?

No one steals for profit unless that profit is for desperate needs. No one does wrong unless they feel they have to or lack the empathy to understand who they're hurting.

Osu 16 Bit

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
I've had someone stealing mail from my apartment building for months now. It is deeply frustrating. I've had like, over a thousand dollars in stuff stolen. I had medicine stolen. That's low. It's a hard sell for me to be understanding and empathetic for someone who would do that.

FinalRPG

Oct 27, 2017
No one steals for profit unless that profit is for desperate needs. No one does wrong unless they feel they have to or lack the empathy to understand who they're hurting.

I'm sorry but this just sounds incredibly naive. Plenty of thieves doing it for personal gain, not their starving children.

BlackJace

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This is noble and I respect it, but lol at people implying this is the reaction society should have towards theft.

Birdie

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Damn this sounds like something out of like a manga or something...

I hope it works out for both parties though.

amon37

Oct 27, 2017
After gets arrested for theft and does his jail or whatever then the man can offer him a job. There should still be consequences.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Good on the restaurant owner.

I've had someone stealing mail from my apartment building for months now. It is deeply frustrating. I've had like, over a thousand dollars in stuff stolen. I had medicine stolen. That's low. It's a hard sell for me to be understanding and empathetic for someone who would do that.

That's understandable but I think that's the thing. Empathy is easy to have in good times. It's harder to have in times like the one you're experiencing. I'm sorry you are dealing with that.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW
Wallace said he thinks the same person recently targeted at least two other nearby businesses. He said the owners told him they were also the victims of an attempted robbery and that their surveillance footage matched his.

Robber should be arrested, not rewarded. There should be consequences for multiple robbery attempts, and the one guy who's willing to forgive shouldn't trump the rights of the other owners.

Deleted member 9241

Oct 26, 2017
Keep your friends close and keep your enemies closer.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Robber should be arrested, not rewarded. There should be consequences for multiple robbery attempts, and the one guy who's willing to forgive shouldn't trump the rights of the other owners.

It's weird that their surveillance tape matched but they use the word "robbery." It would be a burglary since he didn't try to hurt anyone if it's the same as this incident.

Regardless, what should be done to him? Put him in jail so that he comes out with massive fines to end up burglarizing again because he can't afford the fines?

Osu 16 Bit

Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago, IL
It's weird that their surveillance tape matched but they use the word "robbery." It would be a burglary since he didn't try to hurt anyone if it's the same as this incident.

Regardless, what should be done to him? Put him in jail so that he comes out with massive fines to end up burglarizing again because he can't afford the fines?

I don't know.

what happens if this guy gets a job from the owner and then steals my medicine anyway? What happens if he gets therapy and steals my medicine anyway?

I'm not saying "I don't know" to be a smart ass. I genuinely don't know what to think.

Good4Squat

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Sounds like a big hearted person, sadly the kinda person that easily gets taken advantage of also.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
I don't know.

what happens if this guy gets a job from the owner and then steals my medicine anyway? What happens if he gets therapy and steals my medicine anyway?

I'm not saying "I don't know" to be a smart ass. I genuinely don't know what to think.

Depends on why he commits the crimes but odds of him being better off with a job and doing therapy are much higher than putting him in prison, fining him, and then having him go back to comitting crimes because he can't afford the fines.

Addie

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
DFW

Ideally, he should be arrested, with the ultimate assessment focusing on restitution and whether he's a first-time, non-violent offender. Perhaps some amount of jail time depending on what else (if anything) he did, with a focus on rehabilitation while he's in state custody.

Being rewarded with a job and suffering no consequences is the wrong answer, just like being incarcerated for a disproportionate amount of time without any rehabilitative angle or eye towards future work prospects.

I don't know what the answer is under the current system. Probably a diversion program combined with supervised release, where if he commits no crimes during that period the arrest would be expunged from his record.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Ideally, he should be arrested, with the ultimate assessment focusing on restitution and whether he's a first-time, non-violent offender. Perhaps some amount of jail time depending on what else (if anything) he did, with a focus on rehabilitation while he's in state custody.

Being rewarded with a job and suffering no consequences is the wrong answer, just like being incarcerated for a disproportionate amount of time without any rehabilitative angle or eye towards future work prospects.

I don't know what the answer is under the current system. Probably a diversion program combined with supervised release, where if he commits no crimes during that period the arrest would be expunged from his record.

Since this owner forgave him, there would no need for restitution.

Being incarcerated automatically lowers his job prospects regardless if there is a work program in the jail or not.

The current system would just lead to worse outcomes. Supervised release here would mean probation, yes? That costs money in Georgia. If he doesn't pay, he ends up in jail. Or he finds illegal ways to pay the fines and fees which is what we don't want.