• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Trode

Mar 27, 2018
430457-the-elder-scrolls-iv-oblivion-xbox-360-screenshot-loading.jpeg
I wish more games used woodcut prints and old weathered text for their presentations. Oblivion was magical.

Magog

Banned
Jan 9, 2021
The menu music for FF7 never fails to give me the tingles. The hidden menu cinematic in Vagrant Story was one of the best ever made.

ultramooz

Oct 27, 2017
Paris, France
Phantasy Star Online was my first online game, I loved the sound design and I have fond memories of it...

had to run a cable from the phone to my room in the attic and it was a deathly hazard to anyone going to pee in the night

FarZa17

Oct 27, 2017
WWF Smackdown! 2 on PS1.

733i7kmz.jpg

I actually get annoyed everytime the loading screen appeared in this game, especially when playing in Season Mode. The game really just keeps loading thing, from waiting for cutscene, to just going to Settings sub menu. Since I played Season so much, I probably has watched these loading screens for like thousand times. They pretty much have burned in my mind for many years and now I really miss to see these screens again.

What a good time for me to enjoy this game so much back then, despite the excessive loading.

Rover_

Jun 2, 2020
crazy to say but i'm already nostalgic about TLOU2's loading screen, which like in every modern Naughty Dog game, we see once per game session.

crop.php

sarmonic

Oct 29, 2017
For some reason "Now Moloading" from Space Channel 5 stuck with me and now every time I see a loading screen I say to myself "now moloading".

softfocus

Oct 30, 2017
The PS2 GTA games for sure. Even though I hated them at the time.
Halo 3 was a great one too.
Also, is anyone nostalgic for when a disc drive goes nuts during loading? That's when I knew some shit was about to go down, and sit the fuck up.

Spacejaws

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Scotland
Not really that interesting but I miss the old Baldurs Gate loading screens and their tips.

remember.jpg

Even with the old installs the loading started to go lighting fast.

Which reminds me how fuckinf annoying Dragon Age Inquisition was when it gave you 4 pages of lore to read and multiple entries and about 15-20 seconds to read them all. If you are going to have such huge lore dumps in the loading screen at least implement a 'press a to continue' type deal.

Luigi87

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Came for some PS2 DBZ loading screens, glad it kicked off the replies.

LordBaztion

Oct 27, 2017
Lima Perú

Sherlock Holmes the Devil's Daughter.
While loading you get a close up of sherlokc reading his journal plus it lets you actually check the journal. Love it.

Sheepinator

Jul 25, 2018
Every C64 kid can relate.

DLlrLo7.gif

GnKc.gif
Spectrum was similar. As bored kids do on a Saturday morning, we'd go into the store and type in a quick two lines or so program which produces that loading screen effect, with text on screen saying whatever popular new release is loading. Then we'd hang around and watch people waiting for it to finish loading.

Chakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Toronto, Canada
I personally hate loading on the WiiU, it just feels very slow for how powerful that console should be (and i'm not going off memory, me and the wife have been playing MK8 recently and the initial boot time is just soo bad).

With that said, the ones I feel nostalgia for is the retro game loading screen that showed up in some namco games. Specially since doing well in the original ridge racer would net you special cars for your effort (love that).

The only other one and I him/haw if this counts as it's kind of loading but also kind of not, is the midway pre game/fight screen where you can enter codes for random effects. This use to be fun as a kid as I'd just try random shit till I found one that works and try to remember it for future use.

3PUfd.jpg