• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

spman2099

Oct 25, 2017
I would play it, but I can't say I am in love with the aesthetic. Especially when KoF XIII already perfected the 2D fighting game look (and will likely never be surpassed). In a perfect world Mark of the Wolves 2 would look like King of Fighters XIII.

Ferrio

Oct 25, 2017
I feel a fighting game presents a very different set of challenges than a side scrolling beat'em up.

Not really. Fighting games were born from beat-em ups and visa versa. Final Fight was originally suppose to be the sequel to Street Fighter 1, and a big amount of the Devs who worked on Street Fighter II came from Beat Em up games. The two genres are very strongly linked cause at the end of the day a fighting game is just a 1v1 beat em up.

UnluckyKate

Oct 25, 2017
Damn it how good is rock howard design and why his designer isnt lead chara designer on every game ever

Miker

Oct 25, 2017
Bruh this looks better than KoF14 and 15 combined. Streets of Rage 4 is good as hell and I won't hear any slander.

PucePikmin

Apr 26, 2018
Seems like an odd thing to put so much effort in "fan art." I bet some sort of Lizardcube/SNK team-up happens and I'm there for it if it does.

Oct 27, 2017
Cool concept but it's just that, a concept. I'd only be interested to it actually implemented in motion.

Reminds me of the Mighty No. 9 Kickstarter art:

Concept4.jpg
You do realize they've literally made a game that looks like that (Streets of Rage 4), right?

Nah the combat in sor4 is super mid so I wouldn't want them working on this
Mid compared to what other 2D beat em ups??

Jonathan Lanza

"I've made a Gigantic mistake"
Feb 8, 2019
I'd prefer pixel art.
If we're gonna do something super time consuming and expensive, might as well go all the way.

Nov 18, 2017
Streets of Rage 4 is the best scrolling beat em up ive ever played, the art style is stunning and between wonderboy & SOR4 lizardcube have clearly shown they know how to respect treasured IP.

I hope this actually happens.

Shan

Oct 27, 2017
Seems like an odd thing to put so much effort in "fan art." I bet some sort of Lizardcube/SNK team-up happens and I'm there for it if it does.
I remember when Oda gave some sort of COVID update in late 2020 before we even knew when the first KOFXV trailer, beyond what we knew at the time, was gonna be shown he did mention wanting to with Fatal Fury in the future. Considering Garou is part of the Fatal Fury universe who knows...

Won't hold my breath but hey, it's something!

Rephil

Nov 16, 2017
I will never understand the hostility that this team gets for their art.

Same, it's insane. These guys are talented af, and SoR4 is a beautiful game. The "flash art" comparisons are completely baseless.

They actually created this as part of a showcase for the French National Library, they mention it on their Twitter. Wasn't just a fun fanart thing.

Jaded Alyx

Oct 25, 2017
I remember when Oda gave some sort of COVID update in late 2020 before we even knew when the first KOFXV trailer, beyond what we knew at the time, was gonna be shown he did mention wanting to with Fatal Fury in the future. Considering Garou is part of the Fatal Fury universe who knows...

Won't hold my breath but hey, it's something!
I think it may have been 2019 when he was on a twitch stream showing off concept art that he said he'd like to make Garou 2 before he retires. Sounded like a matter of when and not if.

Protoman200X

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
N. Vancouver, BC, Canada
Streets of Rage 4 is the best scrolling beat em up ive ever played, the art style is stunning and between wonderboy & SOR4 lizardcube have clearly shown they know how to respect treasured IP.

I hope this actually happens.

This is the same takeaway I got when looking at this piece of mock-up art for the FNL, and LizardCube have a solid track record for working on legacy IP.

I'd be down for a possible MotW2 handled by these guys, especially if they include fighters that were in design documents that (for some reason or another) never made it in a SNK fighting game. This dude looks slick, and I'd main him for that jacket alone.

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I feel a fighting game presents a very different set of challenges than a side scrolling beat'em up.
You're not wrong, but Streets of Rage 4's beat em up mechanics were already very "fighting game"-like in design, and rather fantastic at that. There's also precedent of that genre experience transitioning well into the other. Microsoft hired Double Helix to do Killer Instinct because of their history working on action beat 'em ups like Buffy and Green Lantern, and KI's quality speaks for itself.

Mabase

Oct 29, 2017
Love how SOR 4 turned out, but this conceptart doesn't convinve me, it doesn't quite capture the visual essence of Garou imho.

Also, every typographical element looks bad, with the Kanji in the logo strangely traced/upscaled... it looks completely broken.

But A for effort!

Slacker247

Oct 27, 2017
Not saying it is a bad art style, but I don't like it for Garou, sorry. It's clean, sure, but nah, I would honestly, hand on heart, have the XIII look for Garou 2 (or KOF but whatever). Chalk it up to a cartoon look vs anime look, sure.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Lizardcube artists are amongst the very best in this industry and the people calling it flash based or even remotely similar are simply lacking the knowledge to understand what these words mean. They could remake or follow up anything and it'd be gorgeous.

WonderBoy-The-Dragons-Trap-PS3.jpg

streets-of-rage-4-pic-1_0000951250.jpg

Switch_StreetsOfRage4_screen_01.jpg

49808872601_1510f4df21_o.gif

NotLiquid

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Given SNK is most likely never returning to 2D based pixel art I definitely think this would've been the next best thing. SOR4 didn't have me entirely convinced at the time of reveal, but by release it looked so much better. The way the game handles lighting effects along with some cool dynamic rim-lighting did so much to make the game look like concept art brought to life. That the above image is a direct screenshot from the game is still really impressive to me since it's something so many other hand-drawn games tend to overlook and it makes the game feel grounded.

skillzilla81

Self-requested temporary ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It looks great, but not unique like Garou did. I wouldn't mind it, but I definitely prefer the aesthetic of the original Garou.

Orioto

Oct 26, 2017
Paris
Those guys do amazing art honestly, my problem with it is the same i had with SoR4. Pixel art, or even 3D look organic, while 2d traditional art look like it's from a comic book. There is something cold about it, flat. Pixel art from KoF tries to reach a 3d look, with a lot of depth. This was always a cheap conflaction to think "ha it's a 2d game so it should look like a cartoon". Some 90's 2d games tried to look like cartoons (ith a certain shading type) but things like KOF tried to look 3d and realistic.