• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Wubby

Oct 27, 2017
Japan!
Been living alone for almost a year now. Loved everyday of it. This may also be due to the fact that cost of living is cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and I still have access to main cities like Tokyo and Osaka whenever I want to get social once in a while.

This. It's the best ✨. Osaka would be quite a trip for me but I could be in Tokyo in an hour if I wanted. Girlfriend wants to move in with me buuuuuut not sure I want lol!

RestEerie

Banned
Aug 20, 2018
Yes, and.........

tenor.gif

Neo C.

Nov 9, 2017
Been living alone for 6 years, I love it. Whenever I'm with my parents, I feel really happy to return to my own small apartment.

Food waste is hard to control when you are cooking for one.
It takes discipline, but it's possible. People are often surprised at how little money I spend on grocery and how much quality food I can get for it.

Mik2121

Oct 25, 2017
Japan
I only lived alone from ages 19 to 22 and then a year when I was 25-26. Anytime before and after that has been me living together with family or girlfriend/wife.

Ferrs

Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
I've been living alone for the last 3 years or so. I've been doing allright so far.

Honestly, my only concern is that I am getting older, and maybe I won't always feel this way. So, I'm struggling between "man, I really enjoy living alone" and "I should date/get married/have kids(?)" before it's all too late.

Yeah I kinda relate to that too. I feel like I don't want to enter in a new relationship for a long while, I'm fine right now. But sometimes I worry about the clock constantly moving..

Deleted member 81119

User-requested account closure
Banned
Sep 19, 2020
All I can suggest is try and start something new to take your mind off it. For me a story led videogame does it, but you mentioned you haven't been outside much lately? Do you run regularly? If not then a quick 20-30 minute daily run could be good for your mental health, especially if you hate it because you'll feel so good about yourself afterwards.

Baphomet

Dec 8, 2018
I used to like being alone, but the thought of living alone now without my wife is too dire to dwell on, that would MASSIVELY suck.

Nov 8, 2017
I'm 38 and I live alone. I didn't realise how much I like living alone until I nearly got stranded at my parents house in the UK due to recent covid travel restrictions. I ended up cutting my stay a week short and flying back home on boxing day out of fear of being put into Tier 4 and being unable to go back. Slept for over 12 hours that night.

That's not to say I don't like my parents; it's nice to see them for 3 weeks over Christmas, and we play games online twice a week, but I need my own space.

OP
OP
ExhaustedWalrus
Oct 28, 2017
Wow, I haven't checked this thread since I opened it.

I definitely like some aspects of living alone. But I really miss my fiancé. I think being able to get outside once a day is good, too. It's also great to do whatever you want at any time really. I enjoy working from home but it can get isolating. It's good to see a lot of you enjoy living alone. Granted my fiancé and I will be living together come July next year.

Pargon

Oct 27, 2017
Soundtrack for this thread:

Really though, living on your own is better than living with people that make life worse for you - whoever that is - and I wish that I had the opportunity to live on my own earlier than I did. Things changed quite a lot for me after a couple of years.
It's an important life skill to learn. You learn a lot about yourself once you've spent some time living on your own, and some people never seemed to learn how to be with themselves after going from family to roommates and then partners with nothing in-between. Those are the ones that seem worst-affected by things like break-ups or divorce, or cling on to dead/harmful relationships.
Of course, living alone is harder in many ways. Living alone can eat up a lot of free time and money when you're doing and paying for everything on your own. I wouldn't want to live alone forever, but I do think that people should learn how to.

COVID is certainly taking its toll on people that are currently living alone though, since it's far more difficult to go out and be social right now, date, visit friends, or have people over.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
I lived alone during the first 7 months of the pandemic (from March till October) and I loved that time. I have no pets either, so it was nice to have the whole place for myself and I would only go out for groceries. I did have a few girls over, but that didn't happen until like late July or early August.
Edit: What's probably making it harder for you is that you have a partner you can't see as often as you'd like, so it's probably that what annoys you.

cLOUDo

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
i'm going to live alone in march and i'm freaking out

my mother take care of my grandmother and i was a great help to help these months(i'm pretty much 24/7 at home)
but this is something i have to do, i'm almost 30 and i need some kind of independence

i will be devastated

Mendrox

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Almost 30 and have been living alone since 23 and it's great. I know people that rely on having people around him, but I never had that problem, because I don't have any problems to do things by myself and I have lots of things to do.

Brewm0nt

Dec 22, 2017
Orlando, FL
I first lived alone from 2016 onward after moving to the midwest for a job opportunity, along with my girlfriend who had been hired at the same company a month or two prior. Since we had only started dating 7 months prior to this, we didn't feel it was time to move in together. That turned into years of living out there and having our own spaces but still spending every weekend together (I traveled a lot for work anyway). I grew very accustomed to it and it also meant we never fought and always had time to ourselves.

Long story short, her parents never approved of us being together (her traditional Ecuadorian mother didn't like that I was shorter than her daughter and not already a doctor etc.), we broke up, and then spent the next year still seeing each other and hooking up every couple of months. This whole ordeal including the hooking up period lasted about 4 years.

In March of this year, at around the 1 year mark of the break up, I finally moved back home (she had already done so a few months before that, unrelated to me thinking of moving), and since I had had enough of being lead on, I told her off around the same time and looked forward to 2020 being a fresh start.

In many ways it was, but I've only met one other person due to the pandemic and that was short lived, so needless to say, this experience left me feeling so alone out in the midwest and it continued after moving home back to Florida.

I am so ready for this to be over so I can start dating again and not feel so isolated. After so long, I'm kind of itching to share a space with someone. If I can stick to the routines that have made me healthier and happier this year, then that would be the best. The independence is great but the loneliness at night is really grating after a while.

J2C

Oct 26, 2017
I have a roommate and good value on my rent relative to proves people are paying, and thinking about throwing it away after 6 years to live alone. He never has been a fan of me bringing over dates or women overnight (talking pre-pandemic), and I think that's an important step to a relationship so probably going to do it.

He's been gone this entire month and it's been pretty great. Haven't had people over aside from a friend, because the pandemic, but its been pretty great. After the initial strangeness of it, I've really been enjoying having my space and not answering for any part of my life; be it the extra dish in the sink, what time I bring fast food in one night, falling asleep on the couch

It feels good to spread out more rather than mostly contain yourself to a room when you need privacy or time to think. So I'd say I recommend it

Khamsinvera

Oct 31, 2017
After 13 years or marriage ending in a divorce, living alone is freakin' awesome! I can do what I want, when I want. I can't imagine having to live with someone again, no matter who.

Pulp

Nov 4, 2017
I have lived alone since I was about 19 (am 30 now). I appreciate the freedom and since I am introvert I usually need a lot of alonetime anyway. That being said, I do miss having someone to do stuff with. I have a few friends but most of them don't really share my interests anylonger. To summarize the positives far outweigh the cons for me at the moment.

ItchyTasty

Feb 3, 2019
I've been living alone since I was 19, so it's been a few years now. One of the reasons I've been reluctant to enter relationships in the past is because it felt like I would give my freedom and independence away.

Vaser

Oct 31, 2017
I lived alone for about 5 years( 2010-2015), then I had to move back in with my parents. Not much has changed, though - we don't really communicate that much. Even though I'm pretty much an introvert, having friends and a significant other has always been my biggest dream. As the years go by, I'm starting to think that's all it's ever going to be - a dream. I think it's ok to be on your own from time to time, but not ALL the time.

sugar bear

Oct 27, 2017
I've been living alone for the past 8 years in my 2-story house with a pair of cats. It fucking rules and I wouldn't trade it for anything. I've had girlfriends in this period but I wouldn't give up my way of life for anyone.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
On the contrary. I think your 20s are the best time to live alone and learn how to take care of yourself. This is when you'll be young and healthy and generally free of obligation. It's likely going to be the only time in your life where you can truly just do what you want, when you want.

It's also the best time to experience life on your own (solo travel, solo hobbies, etc) make your life experiences on your own but to live with people. Given the brain still growing up to 25, the fact that it is economically harder for most to live solo, the added pressures of life piling on early etc. It's unlikely unless your life works out differently that you'd be living with people in your 30s and if you've built your own experienced life by then you can start living on your own.

A lot of the age-old when should you leave home, when should you live alone questions are trickier when we live to be 80s and 90s easily. 100s could be debateable with environmental factors these days. When your life is built along that longevity pathway, it's good to phase it out in chunks of 25-30 years. I'd still stick with what I said at least to the age of 25. Obligations that you have when you're on your own are lesser than what you have when you're coupled up. Given that the average age of childbirth is increasing it's quite possible that we'll find the shift to more solo life in the 30s for both men and women; settling down comes into the late 30s and the obligations that come with it. Then again I suppose it varies with what a person's lifestyle and cultural backgrounds/biases are.

Izzard

Banned
Sep 21, 2018
I've lived alone for 30 years. It definitely affected me, and not in a good way. No way I could live with anyone now. Not that anyone would be able to put up with me, lol.

Fulminator

Oct 25, 2017
25, live with 3 friends and I like it.

Honestly I do not want to live alone. I get the appeal of having your own space but I much prefer to have companions in my house and that far outweighs the cons of having a shared household.

Couldn't imagine going through the pandemic without housemates I could talk to.

BeeDog

Oct 26, 2017
I lived alone for around 3-4 something years while being single, but now I've lived with my GF for a bit over 3 years and I wouldn't have it any other way. I've been WFH with my IT job and my GF spends most of the day running a business away from the apartment, and even this type of very temporary loneliness can get to me. Always been a social creature and I quickly start crawling on walls when I'm bored.