• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
May 24, 2019
On one hand, having a roommate could help with expenses and I might gain a new friend, on the other, I'd have to walk around the house with clothes on all the time.

No thanks.

Donepalace

Mar 16, 2019
Being an only child I think I'm so used to being alone that I wouldn't mind living alone if it came to that

julia crawford

Took the red AND the blue pills
Oct 27, 2017
I have a roommate but he is back home during the pandemic so i have it all to me.

I love being alone tbh. Also in life. Just in general. I don't like humans.

Oct 25, 2017
I live alone and I usually love it but my girlfriend had to stay at my place during the pandemic because otherwise I probably would have gone insane being on my own.

SmittyWerbenManJensen

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Floater’s Cemetery
For me, the only downside to living alone is the cost of rent. I love not needing to worry about the messes/schedules/etc. of other people. At this point, the only roommate I'd even consider living with would be a girlfriend, which is something that I recently did. I have lived with some of my male friends in the past, but it's too frustrating for me.

Sai

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Chicago
I lived alone one year like a decade ago and it was alright but I don't think I took advantage of it as much as I should have. I broke up with my long term partner at the beginning of this year and moved in elsewhere, so I'm really looking forward to moving out in the spring and living on my own again for awhile. I need my own space so badly haha.

DJChuy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I live alone with my two cats, and I have mixed feelings about it.

I love the freedom and free space, but I hate I have to take care of all the bills, cook, clean, etc.

Oct 25, 2017
Somewhere...
In Grad School (27yo), technically living with a housemate, but he's either been in his room (he's about to graduate from his masters) or gone during the pandemic (like for 7 months out of the year at this point). Unsure of his future plans so I might have to move in Summer.

Lonely, sometimes yes. I thought I'm a heavy introvert but I apparently I do crave some (occasional) human interactions. It's definitely been a weird year of self discovery. Also love spending time with my busy busy busy SO so I'm not enjoying my alone time as much as I used to. I do like having my own space though, so... definitely a double-edged sword.

KomandaHeck

Oct 26, 2017
I'm 26 and still live with my parents. Moving out is one of my next big goals as I'm craving some independence. Didn't go to university or anything so the closest thing I've experienced to living alone is when my parents go away for a week or two. I love it, even doing all the house chores somehow becomes enjoyable to me when I'm by myself.

echoshifting

very salt heavy
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
The Negative Zone
I am preparing to live alone for the first time in my life following a divorce. I am 40. Both nervous and excited. I am taking my dog, and every other week my daughter will be living with me, which I think should be a good balance.

I'm definitely looking forward to the alone time right now ha ha. It has been rough living with my ex since we started the process of separating. I will be so glad when it is over.

carlsojo

Oct 28, 2017
San Francisco
I'm 32. Wife left me in July. I have my daughter every other week. The weeks she's not here and I'm alone, the emptiness and quiet is just soul-crushing. I put on Big Bang Theory or Friends in the background just to feel less alone. Can't really go out with friends, but I at least meet up some people for dates every now and then. I don't think I can do this much longer.

Jeff Albertson

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I did in between relationships in my early 20's for a year or so, I grew to enjoy it, I remember someone saying to me once about being happy in your own company is a really important thing to learn.

I don't think I could ever live with friends through choice myself

I can only imagine how hard it is this year though

Dullahan

Always bets on black
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I live alone and I hate it. I'm a social person and the loneliness gets to me. I had a bit of good times while I was taking care of my mom, since I had someone to talk to, but now that's over.

BreakyBoy

Oct 27, 2017
I lived with my family until I was 19. I moved across the country to live with my then fiancee and two friends. I came back after that fell apart to live with my family again. I moved out to live with a bunch of friends in a house as housemates. I moved back with parents to save money. Lived half the time out of a girlfriend's house for some of that stretch.

That was basically my whole 20s and early 30s. I never lived alone until I moved to the other corner of the country in my early 30s.

I was sitting on the floor of my new apartment, three days in, building furniture, when it dawned on me "huh, I'm alone. I wonder if that will be a problem". Four years later, and I've been alone since, and on top of living alone, I went from being more or less a serial monogamist to not even attempting to date since I've been here.

I'm pretty happy. I rarely feel lonely, and even then it's only slightly. I keep in touch with friends and family, mostly by phone, video, text, and that's enough. I'll be happy to have the option to go back to the office and have regular human contact, and I'll be happy to have the option to go hang out with people in person more often, but even without that this year, I've been ok.

Honestly, my only concern is that I am getting older, and maybe I won't always feel this way. So, I'm struggling between "man, I really enjoy living alone" and "I should date/get married/have kids(?)" before it's all too late.

Last edited:

Grazzt

Prophet of Truth
Oct 25, 2017
Brisbane, Australia
I have been living alone for 3 years. Yes sometimes I feel lonely but I also enjoy the freedom I have. I don't want a roommate, but I do want a partner...

Chubnasty

Banned
Sep 26, 2019
I miss living alone. I wish I could afford it. Don't get me wrong, my roommates would do anything for me but it's like feeling alone in a crowded room.

Little things irk me and the standards are not fair (homeowner vs renter/roommate). It's frustrating but they need the money more than I need the room so I often press my luck.

HiLife

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
I've lived alone for a good amount of my 20s and it's been the best thing for my sanity. If I were to ever feel lonely, I'd either hang out with friends or just FaceTime. But with the pandemic, I can see why the former might not be possible. Do you keep in touch and socialize with family/friends through online gaming at least?

Unaha-Closp

Oct 25, 2017
Scotland
Been living on my own for, I think, 22 years at this point. Mental Health problems made it a necessity for me but turned out it that it suits me 100%, pit of depression or not. Society is set up to push the family unit so if you find yourself living alone and you like it - hold out brave soldier. You only live once, do it how you want to if you can.

Mortemis

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Living by yourself during this pandemic sounds horrible to me, not getting to socialize in person for months isn't for me. I've always wanted to get my own place though and was planning to if covid didn't rear its ugly head, but I will once things hopefully improve. Living alone and going out to socialize when you need it sounds like the best.

JackDT

Oct 27, 2017
VRChat is great for this. Even if all your are doing is watching old Friends TV episodes, why not do it in a theater with other people in VR Chat? (Just google for theater worlds...)

Jonnax

Oct 26, 2017
Coming up on two years living alone.
It is heaven.

I did flat sharing and house sharing.
It's stressful having to live around other people.

Like having to be considerate of how you use the kitchen, can't just bake a cake on a weekday.

Having to share the TV.
Being quiet after a certain point in the evening so everyone can sleep.
Not being able to just have a 2 hour bath because somebody is gonna wanna poop.

It was annoying that I had to either wake up earlier than I needed or wake up at a normal time and then shower at work.

Also what was the most tiring is having to talk.
Everyday having some conversation with the people I shared the home with.

Chan

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Not sure how some of you live alone with the cost of housing.

That being said I've been living alone going on year 3, I just started a third job. Probably should've just stayed home but I'm able to save and live by myself because of my friend renting out his condo to me on a homie discount in a large metro area of LA. I don't WFH and thank god that I live alone because I was on a death sentence every Mondays working as an ER nurse.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Been living alone since I was 23 years old. I'm turning 39 soon.
Food waste is hard to control when you are cooking for one.

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
I'm 32. Wife left me in July. I have my daughter every other week. The weeks she's not here and I'm alone, the emptiness and quiet is just soul-crushing. I put on Big Bang Theory or Friends in the background just to feel less alone. Can't really go out with friends, but I at least meet up some people for dates every now and then. I don't think I can do this much longer.

You've made it half a year which is incredible. If you ever need to talk to someone, please PM me.

Deleted member 5876

Big Seller
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

That being said I've been living alone going on year 3, I just started a third job. Probably should've just stayed home but I'm able to save and live by myself because of my friend renting out his condo to me on a homie discount in a large metro area of LA. I don't WFH and thank god that I live alone because I was on a death sentence every Mondays working as an ER nurse.

I don't live in California for one. Secondly, I live in a big college town and ironically its cheaper to make mortgage payments then it is to rent.

Lv99 Slacker

Oct 27, 2017
36. Live alone at the moment due to the pandemic and a desire to add improvements to my home to justify increasing the rent for future roommates. I'm well accustomed to gritting my teeth and bearing things. I think my personality is well suited to living alone for months on end. I am someone who largely prefers to be left alone. IF I were dying for some type of social interaction, IRL meetups is still too risky for me, so, next best option would be searching for niche interest groups on Meetup.com (virtual meetups), joining some niche Discord servers, maybe asking in a local city/town subreddit if anyone is down to play some games online.

ascii42

Oct 25, 2017
I've lived alone for 8 years. I barely remember any other way to live.

Low cost of living area relative to my salary. I now make more in a year than my house costed when I bought it. And I paid it off in 4 years.

DeusOcha

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Japan
Been living alone for almost a year now. Loved everyday of it. This may also be due to the fact that cost of living is cheaper in Japan than it is in the US and I still have access to main cities like Tokyo and Osaka whenever I want to get social once in a while.

Dre3001

Oct 28, 2017
I live alone now and dont mind it most times but the loneliness/ seasonal depression has definitely kicked up recently. Hoping it can pass and is just because of the holidays and im not truly that depressed.

Azraes

Oct 28, 2017
London
Living alone isn't a bad thing but it really depends on your age, your introversion/extraversion and your life patterns.

Living solo in your 20s isn't often great. You're still living out the extension of your university years. Unless you're introverted or partied out, you'd rather have companions or have a house-share at that age. While some people might live with their partners it's not always amazing.
Living alone in your 20s also for those who aren't relationship prone has a greater likelihood of wanting to get out of the lonely funk and jumping into relationships before things have been properly assessed.
Living alone in your 30s after living with friends or partners (people often divorce in their late 20s to late 30s if they've married young (Divorce rate is highest between 25-39 in most countries)) is technically bliss because at this point most people have a stable income, have found themselves or are in the process of finding oneself, and you have your life more or less in control at this point. It also often allows people to take time to grow and find the best person when they're ready for it.

Now the above is more valid for people coming from small or nuclear families. For those coming from large families, living solo is always going to be an adjustment because of what they got used to growing up.

Don't have much advise for your 40s or 50s other than often people after a period off loneliness find the right person or are now very comfortable in their own company that they don't need anything.

Of course you have the outliers of those who were married young and still stay married and the others but this is what I've

Admiral Woofington

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'd only live with friends, and I'm afraid my friends might see a side of me I don't want them to see where I want time by myself more often than not on a weekday. So a place to myself with my pet(s) is ideal for me.

Antrax

Oct 25, 2017
For a year while my wife and I had to be apart from work stuff (the perils of contract life). It was okay. I had our dog though. She fucking hated it, and I wasn't a big fan even with the pup.

OP, my advice is to find one thing every day that you'll leave the house for that involves seeing other humans. Covid means a lot of outdoor time, but even just sitting on a bench while people walk by is a nice recharge. Basically don't ever spend a whole day in your house. That's emotionally draining as hell.

Not hard to do outside of overcrowded cities.

Septimus Prime

EA
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
Living alone isn't a bad thing but it really depends on your age, your introversion/extraversion and your life patterns.

Living solo in your 20s isn't often great. You're still living out the extension of your university years. Unless you're introverted or partied out, you'd rather have companions or have a house-share at that age. While some people might live with their partners it's not always amazing.
Living alone in your 20s also for those who aren't relationship prone has a greater likelihood of wanting to get out of the lonely funk and jumping into relationships before things have been properly assessed.
Living alone in your 30s after living with friends or partners (people often divorce in their late 20s to late 30s if they've married young (Divorce rate is highest between 25-39 in most countries)) is technically bliss because at this point most people have a stable income, have found themselves or are in the process of finding oneself, and you have your life more or less in control at this point. It also often allows people to take time to grow and find the best person when they're ready for it.

Now the above is more valid for people coming from small or nuclear families. For those coming from large families, living solo is always going to be an adjustment because of what they got used to growing up.

Don't have much advise for your 40s or 50s other than often people after a period off loneliness find the right person or are now very comfortable in their own company that they don't need anything.

Of course you have the outliers of those who were married young and still stay married and the others but this is what I've
On the contrary. I think your 20s are the best time to live alone and learn how to take care of yourself. This is when you'll be young and healthy and generally free of obligation. It's likely going to be the only time in your life where you can truly just do what you want, when you want.

skeptem

Oct 25, 2017
My buddy just went through this a few years ago. It was hard, and I give you a ton of credit for it.

Wag

Nov 3, 2017
caoTSLC.jpg

52, living alone since I was 19.

Adopt a cat.

FTF

Oct 28, 2017
New York
Yes, have lived alone for almost 10 years now and I love it. I do (well did until covid) have an active social life, and a good amount of friends and family live nearby, so that def helps. But have always enjoyed the going back to my own place part.