• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 12790

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"It's not that we test once, and then it's done forever. We need multiple tests for every person in the country. And multiple types of tests, too."

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't know this Rep, but it reads he had a salivary gland tumor removed back in 2008, possibly causing long term damage.

Attacking his pattern of speech is low, people shouldn't do that

but he spent too much time at the beginning with platitudes. He really needed to get to his question or yield his time.

ChrisR

Oct 26, 2017
Alongside being pretty old, he had a tumor removed from his salivary gland in 08. He is a very, very respected official though. Served for over 2 decades and co-founded the IL black panthers in the 60s
Ah okay, might just sound not well due to that. Hate that the more vulnerable members of the House have to show up to try to hold this administration accountable.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
What district is this guy from?

I hate how this stream I'm watching provides no information on who is speaking. I don't need a banner saying "Government whistleblower testifies" covering up their placards.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This was 4 hours long? These fly by. When I tell people I watch senate and congressional hearings, they look at me like i'm crazy, but holy shit watching these are so important.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
"Innovators have stepped up. I got a man who has a breathalyzer test for Covid-19. I don't know if it works!"

Republicans in a nutshell. Literally this scene from robocop:

"I had guaranteed military sale with Ed 209. renovation programs, spare parts for 25 years! Who cares if it works or not!"

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
He just said it started with Bush (the mask thing) but you know the questions are going to be "but Obama."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Dang this guy, Mr. Bowen (not Bright, but the owner of a mask making company) just called out the partisanship and even admitted he voted for Trump. He basically said he watched the Bright hearing in the other room, saw the people attacking him were Republicans and the people not attacking him were Democrats, and admitted that he's a Republican, he voted for Trump, and he trusts everything that Dr. Bright said.

LakeEarth

Oct 27, 2017
Ontario
God, if I was the one speaking to one of these panels, I would not have the ability to stay cordial. After 10 minutes of Republican questions, I'd be like "That's a fucking stupid question and I'll tell you why..."

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think what I like about this guy (Bowen), besides his honesty (I mean he readily gave up that he was a Republican, nobody asked him), he's not playing politics. He pretty much refuses to be baited into a soundbite by either side, he basically gets riled up when people say he should've done more because he's so frustrated that he's been telling the government for 13 years about this and nobody cared.

Wow, he was just asked about the administration's response to the pandemic and basically said "I've been a lifelong Republican and I'm embarassed with how it's been handled. We need to listen to scientists." I thought for sure he would defer the question.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I disagree with this guys politics vehemently but I can respect his integrity.

He was asked about cronyism and how there was an article that said that the administration gave a mask contract to a Trump supporter. he corrected them and said it should've said the administration gave a mask contract to a Biden supporter. So it's the rare Republican who actually can look at the administration and "his" side and make a different decision (and yes I realize what being a Republican means).

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
God, I hate the way people in general use the term "innovate." Not even just related to the pandemic, just all over. Innovate is used as some sort of synonym for "good," innovation isn't necessarily good. They also use it to mean "magic."

I posted on youtube in that john oliver video on the USPS going down about how much I rely on free shipping, and someone told me I should just "innovate" around the problem of the USPS going down.

I abhor the term "innovation" thanks to stupid misuse.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
So true. "Just because they sell it for less doesn't mean you should buy it." He's a terrible Republican! lol.

Sayuz

Apr 29, 2019
Watching Bowen go off that guy who was trying to railroad him into basically saying "I won't help America unless I get a juicy contract" was a thing of beauty.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
the role reversal regarding profit in this line of questioning is pretty crazy lol

Republicans really are super inconsistent

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Man, I wish this guy could talk longer. His insight was really good. And because he said he voted for trump, the republicans in the room actually listened to him. And he had some really great things to say.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I think I missed that

that said, this might be the only person I've ever heard who had voted for trump that I respect. I like the guy saying he's "popping off."

He's maybe the only one I've ever met or heard from (and I'm not exaggerating) that admits, openly, that he voted for Trump (and he volunteered that information), says that the administration's response is embarassing, makes it clear before he goes on a show that he doesn't want to be categorized as a Trump supporter and then categorizes himself, still a Republican, as a Biden supporter. He's like a unicorn. A Republican that can admit that he was wrong. Along with that other stuff of course.

He was about as non partisan in his responses as you can get. He refused to be baited by either side. And he wasn't absolutely boring to listen to.

Last edited:

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've watched lots of congressional hearings and testimonies over the recent years, going all the way back to the SOPA/PIPA days, and this was probably the single best hearing I've ever seen. This guy seemed like he spoke to everyone, and was really fair. I hope the people in that room digested what he said.

EDIT: And that actually goes both ways, a lot of the stuff he said about how the Obama administration treated him was awful. Leadership has failed his industry.

julian

Oct 27, 2017
Probably to keep the republicans in the room listening, and so they couldn't accuse him of being a LIEbruhl.
Well then he's being naive. That "Biden supporter" line will be the only thing that gets play in the right-wing echo chambers.

It was fascinating seeing the guy from Missouri asking him questions about why he was getting terrible shipments but keep having to say, "I'm really not saying it was your stuff! I honestly don't think it was! I was just hoping you had insight...and you kinda answered why it could be happening earlier, so thank you."

SpankyDoodle

Oct 25, 2017
God, I hate the way people in general use the term "innovate." Not even just related to the pandemic, just all over. Innovate is used as some sort of synonym for "good," innovation isn't necessarily good. They also use it to mean "magic."

I posted on youtube in that john oliver video on the USPS going down about how much I rely on free shipping, and someone told me I should just "innovate" around the problem of the USPS going down.

What the fuck does that even mean in ANY context of the word!?

Yeah Krejlooc, just fuckin make your own postal delivery service, dummy!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I always thought "innovate" meant "we're laying a bunch of people off and it's up to you to figure out how you can do the same amount of work with less people." But maybe that's just because that's the usual context I hear it in.

Nude_Tayne

Jan 8, 2018
earth

That's an innovative use of the word innovative.