• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
What's the purpose of the belly flop like that, as opposed to a standard Falcon 9 style entry? More maneuverability ?
It will have to come through re-entry like that in order to not destroy the engines. Falcon 9 first stage only comes in from suborbital, but this will have to come back at orbital or interplanetary velocity so it wouldn't survive going engines-first.

Oct 27, 2017
Man that was cool. The manoeuvres work, that belly flop was amazing. It might need a softer landing next time though.

Mochi

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Seattle
Talking to a coworker, it probably would have survived intact if this were Mars right?
Really an incredible achievement, I am very excited for their future projects.

Zelas

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I couldnt tell if they lost the one engine during the ascent or if the first engine shutting down was supposed to lead to the body catching on fire.

capturer2kd1.png

Last edited:
OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
That green flame on landing is a clear symptom of an engine eating itself. The combustion chamber is copper, which burns that bright green. I think if that engine had behaved itself, we'd be looking at an intact rocket standing upright.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Green flame hints at relight not nominal. Can't wait to get some confirmations about the flight plan and overall results.

XMonkey

Oct 26, 2017
That was incredible. These tests where you really have no idea what to expect are so exciting.

SealedSeven

Prophet of Regret
The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
As for why the engines cut off? I assume that was to keep the rocket under the ceiling they were cleared to fly to.

It was to control flight height. They were shutdown on purpose. Last one remained to have it hover / get in position, and then turned off to start the belly flop.

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
This a second stage, not a first stage like the falcon boster that lands. That means it's going to be in orbit around earth at around 28000 km/h and it needs to shed that velocity during reentry. The belly flop is to maximize the surface area of the vehicle and brake with the air friction.
It will have to come through re-entry like that in order to not destroy the engines. Falcon 9 first stage only comes in from suborbital, but this will have to come back at orbital or interplanetary velocity so it wouldn't survive going engines-first.
This is the second stage of the rocket. This thing will be coming back from orbit so it needs to slow the f down and the best way to do that is maximize surface area to the windstream.
to not execute an entry burn

entry burns screw up reusability
I think its to save fuel during descent and only using it before landing.

Got it, makes complete sense! All of my ships in KSP usually return via a capsule so I didn't even think of that.

Staab

Oct 28, 2017
Amazing to see that live, it does work (almost completely) as planned.
SN9 test when?

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah when I saw it turn and saw the ground below I knew there was no way it would land, but it didn't come crashing straight down.

Looking forward to the next one, that was amazing!

I'm sure it could've handled it if all engines fired properly. They've landed rockets with a "suicide burn" before.

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
WOOOOOOÒOOOOOOOOOOOOO

That was focking amazing man.

I thought they lhad ost an engine on the way up and spent a bit longer then they would have at the end of the ascent.

Only two engines fired on landing which seemed to confirmed what I thought as the rocket just couldn't slow down despite the flip manoeuvre executing so perfectly.

Either way I'm stoked the proof of concept has proven itself so well on the first try!

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
That green flame on landing is a clear symptom of an engine eating itself. The combustion chamber is copper, which burns that bright green. I think if that engine had behaved itself, we'd be looking at an intact rocket standing upright.

Possibly damaged in the fire earlier?

But yeah, grabbed screenshots of that little sequence:
imgur.com

imgur.com

Imgur: The magic of the Internet

At the 1:40 mark the engine judders to the right for a bit, and in swinging back, flares up. Flames spread wide enough to reach the surrounding surfaces before the engine conks out, including some material which then ignites rapidly at the 1:48 mark, burning itself out in seconds

Kinthey

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
It even looks like it stood still there for a moment before it exploded. This was soooo close to a successful landing

Camoxide

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
UK
One of the engines went out a couple of seconds before landing.

Overall that was waaaaayy closer to landing than I expected though!

prophetvx

Nov 28, 2017
Amazing to see that live, it does work (almost completely) as planned.
SN9 test when?
SN9 started construction only a month after SN8. I don't believe they've announced timeframes but historically they've kept pretty close to development timelines in order of launch. SN10 is another month behind that. It's likely there'll be another launch in the next couple of months dependent on the outcomes of this test obviously.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
SN9 started construction only a month after SN8. I don't believe they've announced timeframes but historically they've kept pretty close to development timelines in order of launch. SN10 is another month behind that. It's likely there'll be another launch in the next couple of months dependent on the outcomes of this test obviously.
I believe SN9 and its engines are effectively ready to go, just gotta clean up and prep the launch/landing pads, which may take a bit. :P Next test's timeline is almost definitely not hardware related, more about the pads and the team crunching through today's data.
Biggest hurdle is if they've already designed around current problems or today's data shows them something that they need to adjust, which would make testing SN9 redundant and unnecessary. Possibly.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Not knowing what was supposed to happen, I couldn't believe my eyes when that thing just flipped on a dime. Is that the long term plan for this thing?? Wouldn't that make all the passengers unconscious from the Gs?? Haha, long way off I know.

That was impressive as hell.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Not knowing what was supposed to happen, I couldn't believe my eyes when that thing just flipped on a dime. Is that the long term plan for this thing?? Wouldn't that make all the passengers unconscious from the Gs?? Haha, long way off I know.

Yeah I was also wondering what kind of g forces astronauts would experience during such a drastic maneuver like that

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
I am still going with my broke propellant line theory. You can see gas escape since the first raptor broke.
Tbh I don't know if it can lower the pressure enough but it's my theory :P
The engines use fuel to cool the combustion chamber. With low fuel tank pressure, the fuel pumps can't run well enough to keep the engine cool so it burns itself up.

Ryno23

Banned
Dec 13, 2017

Yup from the OP:
uy2UG6m.jpg

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
The biggest win here was proving the belly flop works. They've already proven they can land rockets, so that'll come in time.
Awesome flight.

Hootie

Dec 25, 2017
Man, seeing the full-up rocket with the super heavy booster and the starship on top will truly be a sight to behold. It even dwarfs the mighty Saturn V

SteveMeister

Oct 31, 2017
Watching the NASASpaceFlight playback, they shut down two raptors on ascent and then slewed out over the water at roughly the same altitude for some distance, which gave them more room for the glide back.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017

You mean the flip before the final landing burn? Probably not for manned flights. They'll want a bigger margin for any escape manoeuvres.

Thorrgal

Oct 26, 2017
You mean the flip before the final landing burn? Probably not for manned flights. They'll want a bigger margin for any escape manoeuvres.

I think definitely for manned flights to Mars, no escape manoeuvres possible over there...just one chance :P

But more knowledgeable people will know for sure

GrizzleBoy

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Remember that the habitable area of the rocket is basically just inside the triangle shaped area of the nose cone.

During the landing flip, the vehicle rotates around that uppermost point of the craft, meaning it actually doesn't really do much swinging.

Just watch a video of a gymnast doing backflips on a floor routine.

Usually their feet will be travelling faster than their head in order to get the rotation of their body, but the persons head stays central to the point of rotation and therefore does not encounter as much rotational force.

RoKKeR

Oct 25, 2017
Remember that the habitable area of the rocket is basically just inside the triangle shaped area of the nose cone.

During the landing flip, the vehicle rotates around that uppermost point of the craft, meaning it actually doesn't really do much swinging.

Just watch a video of a gymnast doing backflips on a floor routine.

Usually their feet will be travelling faster than their head in order to get the rotation of their body, but the persons head stays central to the point of rotation and therefore does not encounter as much rotational force.
A very interesting point! Hadn't even considered.