• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

GYODX

Oct 27, 2017
Amazing to watch. I'm sure they got a lot of good data out of data, explosion notwithstanding.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
The rapid turn is definitely workable, it's a matter of slowly the descent fast enough as to not get ye stock KSP result

Oct 25, 2017
Texas
" This suborbital flight is designed to test a number of objectives, from how the vehicle's three Raptor engines perform, and the overall aerodynamic entry capabilities of the vehicle, including its body flaps, to how the vehicle manages propellant transition. SN8 will also attempt to perform a landing flip maneuver, which would be a first for a vehicle of this size. "

So, flip maneuver failed I guess haha.

It did flip. But came in wayyyy too fast.

DrForester

Mod of the Year 2006
Oct 25, 2017
Eo1KBvQXMAEmCYu

piratepwnsninja

Lead Game Designer
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I think this is actually a better result than they expected, no? I mean, best result is it all worked, but I think they expected a crash?

Twenty7kvn

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Damn that re-ignition and reorientation was fucking amazing to bad they couldn't stick the landing.

Tacitus

Oct 25, 2017
Might be that one of the engines failed to reignite? Looks a bit off in the video feed.

Volimar

volunteer forum janitor
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to be as happy about anything as this NASA guy is about watching the rocket launch.

Cjdamon042

Oct 28, 2017
Edinburgh
Definitely looked like they just came in too quick, not enough time to slow down. But they were on target and it looked like it was straight, so still really impressive. That was great to watch, especially how quickly they manage to rotate it.

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
Not bad for a first go. I have no idea if the engines were supposed to go out in sequence like they did? Didn't seem to be landing with three engines but I guess the computers would attempt to start the burn earlier to compensate?

Orbis

Oct 25, 2017
UK
Seems like that went better than I expected tbh, I expected it to roll out of control when it reached max altitude.

NPVinny

Dec 13, 2017
I knew about a minute before it touched down that it was coming in too fast for it to land safely, but honestly that footage could be used in a movie or something.

Green

Oct 27, 2017
It went up, it went down, and it did indeed land on its ass. Just a little bit too hard.

Well done.

JonnyDBrit

God and Anime
Oct 25, 2017
Also of note is that they got it to a point where it didn't completely disintegrate from the impact itself; it seems much more the compression from landing too fast

m_shortpants

Oct 25, 2017
What's the purpose of the belly flop like that, as opposed to a standard Falcon 9 style entry? More maneuverability ?

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
I think this is actually a better result than they expected, no? I mean, best result is it all worked, but I think they expected a crash?
This was a stunning result. Multiple engine thrust use, aerodynamic fall was great, made its way back to the pad and had some last second engine issues. Data. So much data. Nobody is upset at this. Fuck. Incredible.

SpaceX's camera work was also fantastic. Engine camera, flight camera, external body cameras. Gorgeous.

Damaniel

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Portland, OR
Looks like it went to plan (more or less) until the very end. At least it came down (roughly) in the right place, even if it came in too fast.

As for why the engines cut off? I assume that was to keep the rocket under the ceiling they were cleared to fly to.

It may have crashed, but it was anything but a failure. The next one should perform much better.

Ether_Snake

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Yeah when I saw it turn and saw the ground below I knew there was no way it would land, but it didn't come crashing straight down.

Looking forward to the next one, that was amazing!

NunezL

Jun 17, 2020
What's the purpose of the belly flop like that, as opposed to a standard Falcon 9 style entry? More maneuverability ?
This a second stage, not a first stage like the falcon boster that lands. That means it's going to be in orbit around earth at around 28000 km/h and it needs to shed that velocity during reentry. The belly flop is to maximize the surface area of the vehicle and brake with the air friction.