• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
This is an audacious test flight of a very new kind of spaceship.
All stainless steel, 17 stories tall, it will launch to 12.5km then "bellyflop" like a skydiver steering with outstretched hands, before swivelling round for a powered landing on its tail. It will be a spectacular success or a spectacular failure. Either way, it'll be a hell of a show.

Tuesday's attempt was aborted at T minus 1 second, but they have clearance to try again on Wednesday.
Same window - 8am-5pm CST

Remember, it's quite possible that they will scrub for today and try again tomorrow.
I'll update this OP with the new date if that happens.

This fantastic infographic from Tony Bela tells you everything you need to know:

uy2UG6m.jpg

Official SpaceX stream will go live very shortly before launch

Alternative streams are already broadcasting

Everyday Astronaut:

Nasaspaceflight:

Last edited:

Cross-Section

Oct 27, 2017
I dig that they made that graphic look like a poster you'd see on the wall of your 6th grade science class

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
any reason its stainless steel?
It's an alloy that, along with venting methane through pores, will allow it to be cooled while entering atmosphere and be rapidly reusable. Cost, weight and strength under flight conditions (keeping in mind all the fuel is cryogenically stored) all led to the decision to focus on this form of stainless steel and the associated welding techniques needed for fabrication.

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
any reason its stainless steel?
A few reasons:
  1. It can withstand heat better than aluminium. This means you can have a thinner, less sophisticated heat shield
  2. It gets stronger at cryogenic temperatures, ie. when filled with fuel
  3. It's cheap and easy to work with
Despite being heavier that normal aerospace materials, once you add up the weight savings of the thinner heatshield, it's a wash.
If they'd stuck with carbon fiber, they'd still be working on the first prototype, which they'd be treating with kid gloves due to the expense.
The steel ones can be cranked out at the rate of one a month, and when they crash just weigh them in for scrap.

Is it really going live within the hour? SpaceX hasn't started their stream?
The official stream will start a few minutes before launch, and likely won't be hosted.
Everyday Astronaut has a good tracking telescope camera so he might even get better pictures than the offical stream...

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
is this only having three smaller engines for the test - will it have additional engines for the 'full' version? And is this expected to be a launch vehicle in its own right - only with the heavy booster for the larger payloads? Kind of like current falcon/falcon heavy?

OP
OP
Crispy75

Crispy75

Oct 25, 2017
is this only having three smaller engines for the test - will it have additional engines for the 'full' version? And is this expected to be a launch vehicle in its own right - only with the heavy booster for the larger payloads? Kind of like current falcon/falcon heavy?
This is the second stage of the full-up rocket. It has 3 full-size engines here today but the final version will have 6.
While capable of taking off on its own (which it will do from the surface of Mars) it cannot reach orbit on its own.
To reach orbit it needs a first stage booster, which will have 28 engines. Twice the thrust of the Saturn V. O_O

brochiller

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
That's a very cool infographic in the OP. Very much looking forward to this!

Edit: I just noticed the person standing at the feet of the first stage in that graphic. Holy shit that thing is huge.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, the SN8 test model "only" has 3 Raptors, and the final Starship second stage will have 6, 3 tailored for vacuum efficiency and 3 for atmospheric efficiency.
Edit: With 3 engines it's still expected to propel off the pad at like 2Gs. Which is, like, fast. Hnng.

nekkid

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've been nervous/excited for this for a week!

The good news is that with SN9 basically complete it won't be too long before another test, regardless of what happens today.

If anyone needs me I'll be glued to Tim's stream...

StrapOnFetus

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
TX
About 30 minutes to fully fuled. Let's gooooo, people dont realize how important this is for the future of mankind. Humanity to the inner belt!

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
Frost starting to show, NASA's aircraft is circling. A million things could cause a scrub, but things are happening.

Gashprex

Oct 25, 2017
SpaceX is targeting 5:30 EST

please make sure your expectations are lowered given they are testing things never been tried before on a rocket

MrKlaw

Oct 25, 2017
This is the second stage of the full-up rocket. It has 3 full-size engines here today but the final version will have 6.
While capable of taking off on its own (which it will do from the surface of Mars) it cannot reach orbit on its own.
To reach orbit it needs a first stage booster, which will have 28 engines. Twice the thrust of the Saturn V. O_O

Jesus.

Thanks for all the answers. Will need to read up more on starship - snuck up on me a little.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
SpaceX aiming to go live at 4:30 local time, launch expected 10ish minutes later.

Aaaaand venting.

SnakeXs

Oct 28, 2017
SpaceX Stream is a go. T-4:00, other streams could be quicker though. Here we go.

Joe

Oct 25, 2017
It's gonna happen? These always get scrubbed on days when I notice them. Neat!