• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Brinbe

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Terana
Sadly called that shit from the jump. Turtle ass bitch is responsible for a lot of hurt and destruction.

And it sucks that KY saw fit to reelect him so there's really zero consequence for him or the GOP Senators. America is fucking broken.

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
This is such a vexing situation. On one hand, Trump clearly just wants to do this so he has even one positive headline to leave office with.

No, he doesn't care about the $2k at all. He's doing this as a Trojan for the Section 230 repeal. And he cares deeply about that because he wants to sue Twitter over people tweeting mean things about him ("Diaper Don", etc).

He is explicitly doing this as an attempt to suppress free speech and that should tell you everything you need to know on whether to support this bill.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know exactly how this all works. Can someone explain to me what all these senators speaking to the camera does? Is them trying to look good to the public? Are they speaking to someone specifically? Does any of this actually make a a difference?

thats_entertainment.jpg

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Is the $2k being blocked solely on McConnell or the Republicans? Apparently, quite a lot of them voted in favor of it?

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
still waiting for the part where the NDAA bill is brought up for unanimous consent

CrichtonKicks

Oct 25, 2017
Is the $2k being blocked solely on McConnell or the Republicans? Apparently, quite a lot of them voted in favor of it?

Only McConnell. A clean $2,000 amendment passed the House with over 2/3 in favor. McConnell will not allow that clean bill to come to the floor of the senate for a vote and is instead offering a different $2k bill with poison pills attached.

RailWays

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Mitch is the only one with the power to bring the bill to a vote. It's hard to know the true Republican support for sure since some likely are only giving support to it because they know Mitch will never pull the lever.

Plastic Shark

Nov 17, 2017
Well, I hardly had any hope for 2,000 check to happen.

Hopefully they don't approve the poison pill bill. Don't do anything stupid like that, y'know.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
how the fuck is this a thing? why the fuck can ONE MAN block whatever the fuck he wants? This isnt even an actual rule its unwritten. Dems need to come out and say "naw man thats not a real rule and we are calling it on that" One man CANT have this much fucking power to do whatever he wants.

how the fuck is this a thing? why the fuck can ONE MAN block whatever the fuck he wants? This isnt even an actual rule its unwritten. Dems need to come out and say "naw man thats not a real rule and we are calling it on that" One man CANT have this much fucking power to do whatever he wants.
It's not really "one man", it's the Republican Senate majority. They put McConnell in charge of conducting Senate business (just as the Democrats would do with Schumer). If a majority of senators really wanted a vote, they could force one, but they won't because they don't (or at least, they don't want it enough to go against the rest of the Republican Party caucus).

strikeselect

Oct 27, 2017

but..but ... tradition!

I guarantee if Dems win the Senate Republicans will not give a SHIT about "respecting" the majority leader.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
McConnell needs to be censured at this point. Not like it'll change much, but it will be nice go have that on his record

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
It's not really "one man", it's the Republican Senate majority. They put McConnell in charge of conducting Senate business (just as the Democrats would do with Schumer). If a majority of senators really wanted a vote, they could force one, but they won't because they don't (or at least, they don't want it enough to go against the rest of the Republican Party caucus).
They need to fucking step up to him. This is BULLSHIT. It has bipartisan support. This is fucking infuriating!

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
Because the Republican Senate likes what he's doing so they keep him in that spot. Every single one is complicit with his ratfucking and obstruction.

They need to fucking step up to him. This is BULLSHIT. It has bipartisan support. This is fucking infuriating!
They won't because they don't want to. What he's doing as Senate Majority Leader is pretty much their agenda. They know that their party is deeply unpopular and on a demographic death timer so the idea is to just blow up the legislative branch and do nothing except for packing courts with orginalists/textualists that will outlive their party's decline and frame it as the fault of Democrats. It works.

Spehornoob

Nov 15, 2017
Can any history buffs let me in on why the Majority Leader alone controls which bills can be voted on? I'm pretty sure that's not in the constitution.

Tahnit

Oct 25, 2017
someone needs to come to the mic and scream at mcconnel. Scream at him that people are suffering and he isnt doing a fucking thing to help them. Yes, curse at him. fucking tear him down, insult him, fucking tell him how much of a piece of shit he is and how much hes hurting people.

Spinluck

▲ Legend ▲
Avenger
Oct 26, 2017
Chicago
Only McConnell. A clean $2,000 amendment passed the House with over 2/3 in favor. McConnell will not allow that clean bill to come to the floor of the senate for a vote and is instead offering a different $2k bill with poison pills attached.
Mitch is the only one with the power to bring the bill to a vote. It's hard to know the true Republican support for sure since some likely are only giving support to it because they know Mitch will never pull the lever.

Absolutely insane, but I assume no one in the party will openly renounce this man.

Beignet

alt account
Banned
Aug 1, 2020
someone needs to come to the mic and scream at mcconnel. Scream at him that people are suffering and he isnt doing a fucking thing to help them. Yes, curse at him. fucking tear him down, insult him, fucking tell him how much of a piece of shit he is and how much hes hurting people.
He's been harassed and treated like shit in public before, he doesn't care. He's a genuinely evil person.

Absolutely insane, but I assume no one in the party will openly renounce this man.
They won't.

BlueTsunami

Oct 29, 2017
McConnell does his job well, playing interference for the Republican parties image. The needed Republicans got their soundbite in approval of the checks while Kentucky will never vote this pos out from office despite pulling shit like this.

Thordinson

Aug 1, 2018
Can any history buffs let me in on why the Majority Leader alone controls which bills can be voted on? I'm pretty sure that's not in the constitution.

Senate precedents. That's it, really.

I wouldn't solely blame McConnell. There's nothing stopping the Senate from voting for a new majority leader. Republicans agree with this. The entire party is rotten.

sensui-tomo

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Ugh, back to the guy who wants to suck off this military plan who sounds like the colonel from the metal gear games.

The Constitution gives to each chamber of Congress the exclusive power to set its own rules and procedures. As the party system has developed, whichever party is in the majority has chosen to vest that power in its leader.

So it isn't really McConnell alone who is blocking this. He's doing what his caucus wants him to do. Indeed, that's one of the advantages of this setup for senators in swing states, they can "support" something but never have to worry about actually voting for it.

Maxim726x

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Depressing.

Deeply, deeply depressing.

This never had any other ending.

It's why the Dems need to win both seats in the upcoming special election or Biden's presidency is basically already a failure... Through no fault of his own.

He had so many options and somehow went for the absolute worst possible messaging.

I keep waiting for this kind of shit to bite Republicans in the ass but it just never does.

Thanks, Hannity/Rush/Tucker/etc

ezekial45

Oct 25, 2017
He just tanked GA's chances. He just gave the senate to Democrats.
Georgia is not a sure thing. Just keep in mind that 73 million people voted to keep Trump in office, despite the fact that he's responsible for the spread of the virus. There are people that will vote for the GOP no matter what, even when logic and common sense shows that they shouldn't.

Still, the messaging here does work for the Dems, so that's good.

shiba5

I shed
Oct 25, 2017

He really really does.not.care. He'd just laugh.