• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Downhome

Oct 27, 2017
After being canceled for a couple of years, Live PD returned to the airways earlier tonight under the new name of On Patrol: Live and on a new network, Reelz. The streaming apps for the channel all crashed earlier due to so many folks trying to watch it. I have YouTubeTV and it doesn't have Reelz, so I had to try to watch on app using my parents Dish credentials and it was just impossible.

Anyone else catch it? I had no clue it was even starting back tonight.

This and COPS are now both back on the air. Speaking of COPS, they are filming in my town right now for new episodes. It's very weird seeing the camera crews around town doing that.

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
User Banned (1 Month): Inflammatory false equivalency equating cops with minority groups; antagonizing another user
Live PD and Cops are garbage copaganda that no one should be watching.

ACAB
I thought negatively generalizing entire groups of people was what the really bad people do? I guess, just not when you do it?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
I am a police. I was just asking a question. Of course the last time on this forum I mentioned my occupation one of our enlightened members told me I should go kill myself. So, I guess we'll see how this goes.

Are you going to answer my question? What groups are you comparing cops to when you talk about "groups of people" that are being treated unfairly?

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
Some old thread about qualified immunity. Truthfully, not my best moment. I usually avoid those types of threads, but for some reason I let my emotions win that one, and didn't really present the best argument. Still, yikes.

It looks like years ago you went with "not all cops" in a sensitive thread, and one person (whose account no longer exists) told you police should "leave earth".
I don't think you're being entirely honest with how you're presenting this.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017

morgan-freeman-good-luck-batman-dark-knight-lucius-fox-gif-12793119
good-luck-morgan-freeman-3sos9n8gq76rcvgs.gif

Evolved1

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like years ago you went with "not all cops" in a sensitive thread, and one person (whose account no longer exists) told you police should "leave earth".
I don't think you're being entirely honest with how you're presenting this.
Hmm. I looked it up and you're right as far as receipts. Honestly, not how I remember it, as I recall it being a very short, like one sentence post, and there was a mod posting on the page as well. Doesn't seem edited, idk... maybe I fucked that up. Either way, it's on me for bringing it up, I'll concede that.

lvl 99 Pixel

Oct 25, 2017
I guess they really are a cop.

Telling someone to kill themselves would obviously be actionable....but that never even happened and/or was years ago by one person who was banned...
When discussing systemic, institutional abuse someone going into that discourse and playing the victim as someone with said occupation its not a good look.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Providence, RI
Telling someone to kill themselves would obviously be actionable....but that never even happened and/or was years ago by one person who was banned...
When discussing systemic, institutional abuse someone going into that discourse and playing the victim as someone with said occupation its not a good look.

Agreed.

And someone who says they are a cop comparing their job (something they chose) to being gay, trans or black is... also not a good look.

Dhx

Sep 27, 2019
Hmm. I looked it up and you're right as far as receipts. Honestly, not how I remember it, as I recall it being a very short, like one sentence post, and there was a mod posting on the page as well. Doesn't seem edited, idk... maybe I fucked that up. Either way, it's on me for bringing it up, I'll concede that.

I'll momentarily break up the dog pile to say it's honestly easy to misremember an exchange that affects you emotionally. Good on you for acknowledging the discrepancy.

Lukar

Unshakable Resolve - Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I thought negatively generalizing entire groups of people was what the really bad people do? I guess, just not when you do it?
Please explain the differences between people who enforce unjust laws against marginalized folks, and people who are born queer or black. Thinking about that question might give you your answer, and might show you why generalization of one group is not at all the same as generalization of another.

Dark Knight

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Who the hell is watching police for entertainment? I'd get genuinely sick watching something like that.

Speevy

Oct 26, 2017
Ten years ago, I worked in retail. Everyone says working in retail is a nightmare and that every person should experience customer service at least once so they can know how hard it is.

Today, I am a teacher. Everyone says you really have to love teaching to do it because it is way too much work for far too little pay.

I chose to do both of those things. No one knows I did or do those things when I walk into a store or drive down the street. If I choose to do something else, that won't define who I am either. It is simply a job and how well or poorly I choose to do it is up to me. What the general public thinks of it is up to them.

I don't however get to tell other people that I am a job and that makes me something you can't criticize. You may dislike brick and mortar retail stores and I know many people hated their entire school experience.

I am not offended by that and you shouldn't be offended when people say that cops are terrible people because you're not changing anything. When I say I love teaching, it doesn't make the US education system any less terrible.

Don't liken yourself to groups that have experienced real problems that couldn't be solved by handing in a resignation letter (as I did when I left retail)

TheCthultist

Oct 27, 2017
New York
I never understand why people feel the need to put on the facetious, cutesy tone anytime they come into a thread like this just to post a potential gotcha drive-by. Like… at least commit to your stupid opinion, don't just let it hang limp like that.

Status
Not open for further replies.