• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 27, 2017
Honestly I've enjoyed what I've seen of Infinite every time they've shown it, even last year, but this has tipped me over the edge into full blown hype. This looks fantastic.

Jan 11, 2020
Ive bought so many battlepasses only to see them 1/10 to 1/4 through..
I cringed a bit at the word, but being able to just unlock at my own pace and not loose my moneys worth is great news!
In D2 ive probably bought 5-6 BP but never been even close to get the last levels

bounchfx

Oct 25, 2017
Muricas
really excited about this. Halo was THE fucking jam back in the day, and there's a large amount of younger gamers that probably never got to experience that and how fun the halo style of fps gameplay can be. I really hope they're successful in recapturing that feel, because man was it really really fun. I feel like we're really missing arena style FPS in general these days. Am i crazy? So much of it is just Battle Royale, which I don't mind... but still... on PC too, huge hole where Unreal/Q3 used to be, and no the latest q didn't really do it for me :(

They're saying all the right things but, will it be good? and will it capture a significant audience? I think F2P was a good move and the other stuff sounds good too. Just been nervous about the game after seeing the exodus of devs leaving the project over the last couple of years. It looks great though.

Don Dada

Oct 27, 2017
The brief glimpses we've got look good but man show the game. It's like they are shitting themselves becuase of last year's reaction. They're never going to get over that and there will always be idiots who have no interest in the game chomping at the bits to shit on any demo.

This is supposed to be E3 and we should be getting hands on impressions by now. Let's see some serious uncut footage.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
I'm guessing we can only carry one to two grenade types in MP now?
aostc4dx99571.png

0ptimusPayne

Oct 27, 2017
Fuck the FOMO, thank you 343 for not making battlepass progression garbage for us that don't have a ton of time to play all the Damn time.

DemonCarnotaur

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
NYC
Honestly the non-FOMO Battle Pass is only just a consumer friendly move, it's definitely a savy "new f2p game entering the market" move. They realize for sure that people can't do em all.

HOWEVER

I expect this means that the Battle Passes won't have buyback currency built in like Fortnite or Apex.
I hope they add buyback, but make it limited to the seasons run -- so if the season ends, those added rewards become unavailable, and it's only the permanent cosmetic stuff that stays in play

Cause there is no way I plan to continuously buy battle passes

nihilence

nøthing but silence
Oct 25, 2017
From 'quake area to big OH.
The battle pass around cool with it not expiring, and able to switch around. I assume you can only earn towards one at s time.

I wonder how much they cost, and if previous pass with go on sale.

Cosmetic variety is appreciated.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Damn, what an incredible feature set. Gameplay looks on point, with no Reach-style bullshit that I can see. (Slightly concerned about drop pods with weapons, because they give me flashbacks to Halo 4 ordnance drops, but still.)

The customization options they showed off are so awesome, and the art style is just what I'm looking for from a modern Halo.

Free-to-play and crossplay are going to make it easy to get my friends on board with game.

I'm so hyped. I love everything I've seen so far, and I'm not even a huge multiplayer guy. Halo 3 and Halo 5 sucked me in for a while, and Infinite looks just as fun, at minimum.

Uiki

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
I Think it'll have to reset periodically (seasonal/annual?) just because as an f2p game, new players are joining all the time.

Which is fine with me, but I can see a lot of people creating scrub accounts or bombing their ranking matches. Hopefully they have a good solution for dealing with that.

I don't see why. No competitive f2p game resets ranks. It's not like they inveted f2p games.. they are pretty much the standard for competitive games.

Anno

Oct 25, 2017
Columbus, Ohio
Now that XBLG isn't needed to play this I wonder if they'll hook the game into Gamepass via the battlepasses. Free battlepass if you have GPU? Discounts?

loob

Oct 25, 2017
Minnesota
Yeah, that was their best video yet. Genuinely excited about a lot of what they discussed and showed. They seem to know how to make it feel like Halo while making some good changes.

Oct 25, 2017
Very excited for this, love the focus on what made Halo great with arena and BTB focus.

F2P is perfect, I never play the halo campaigns so I'm thrilled for this and the health of multiplayer in general.

I just really hope they have good anti-cheat because I'll be on PC and F2P games can get plagued with cheaters.

Filipus

Prophet of Regret
Avenger
Dec 7, 2017
I'm guessing we can only carry one to two grenade types in MP now?
aostc4dx99571.png

That would be a good decision, specially because they talked in their Halo Blog how Infinite is going to have more unique damage types that are very different from each other (adds complexity + reduces grenade amount).

I love everything about it right now. I want a DEEP forge and (please) custom game browser? I don't think Infinite will launch with CGB but it would be dope. Learn from Counter Strike!

My disappointment is in BTB being 12 vs 12... I mean, it's awesome but.. Klobrille do you know if this is the famed BTB 2.0 that insiders all heard about? Or do you believe that is still to come?

Masterz1337

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, what an incredible feature set. Gameplay looks on point, with no Reach-style bullshit that I can see. (Slightly concerned about drop pods with weapons, because they give me flashbacks to Halo 4 ordnance drops, but still.)

The customization options they showed off are so awesome, and the art style is just what I'm looking for from a modern Halo.

Free-to-play and crossplay are going to make it easy to get my friends on board with game.

I'm so hyped. I love everything I've seen so far, and I'm not even a huge multiplayer guy. Halo 3 and Halo 5 sucked me in for a while, and Infinite looks just as fun, at minimum.
it's the same reach style bullshit with armor abilities, except now you have to pick them up and use them. Ready to kill a guy? Better hope he doesn't throw up a wall or go invincible. Got a guy in the middle of the map ready to kill, he can zip line away.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
it's the same reach style bullshit with armor abilities, except now you have to pick them up and use them. Ready to kill a guy? Better hope he doesn't throw up a wall or go invincible. Got a guy in the middle of the map ready to kill, he can zip line away.
You described the difference between Reach's armor abilities and Halo 3's equipment. One way Reach screwed up the classic Halo formula was by ditching equal starts.

The devs confirmed that Infinite will have equal starts, so I'm much less concerned. Halo 3's equipment was fine.

Femme Man

Oct 28, 2017
That would be a good decision, specially because they talked in their Halo Blog how Infinite is going to have more unique damage types that are very different from each other (adds complexity + reduces grenade amount).

I love everything about it right now. I want a DEEP forge and (please) custom game browser? I don't think Infinite will launch with CGB but it would be dope. Learn from Counter Strike!

My disappointment is in BTB being 12 vs 12... I mean, it's awesome but.. Klobrille do you know if this is the famed BTB 2.0 that insiders all heard about? Or do you believe that is still to come?
It would DEFINITELY reduce grenade spam. That's been an issue since CE that never really has been addressed so I'm interested in seeing how it plays out when in actual combat.

I've said this multiple times in various threads since yesterday but that player count still disappoints me. Halo 5 (which turns five years old in October) already had 12 vs 12 and I was hoping they would push it higher. With the way they're phrasing BTB in the blog post from yesterday it seems that this is the famed "2.0" the insiders have been hyping up... just wish they never compared it to Battlefield when the rumors started.

Rendering...

Oct 30, 2017
Man, it feels like 343 finally got everything pulled together this time. It looks exactly how Halo should look in 2021, and it seems like the new additions can actually allow the Halo sandbox to actually mature in a direction that's simultaneously modern and true to the older games. Cannot wait until the beta, and it's super cool that we're seeing more and more games bring back bot and training modes.
Totally agreed. Exciting times.

I keep thinking this is what I wanted from Halo 4, but better.

Ryan.

Prophet of Truth
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Maybe customisable crosshairs perhaps?

The second deffo looks better simply because its a classic look

Really like the direction the games going, always though Halo 3 equipment should be the way to go.

Really all just hinges on the maps because Halo 5 was really dull in that regard
Unyshek confirmed the crosshair in the first image wasn't the final one so don't expect custom crosshairs

vixolus

Prophet of Truth
Sep 22, 2020
Now that XBLG isn't needed to play this I wonder if they'll hook the game into Gamepass via the battlepasses. Free battlepass if you have GPU? Discounts?
Highly doubt free. Maybe some certain armor perks that come in like with SOT.

Usually there's a 10% discount for GP subs though. For example, I get 10% off the premium currency / plunder pass for Sea of Thieves. That may apply

Soj

Oct 27, 2017
Everything looks and sounds great. I am more and more excited for this game.

Arx

Oct 25, 2017
I am surprised but it feels like they successfully married old and new. Its just a feeling...but its a good one.

Arn

Prophet of Truth
Oct 28, 2017
It's the only thing from this whole E3 I've felt compelled to watch numerous times in two hours. It's just the perfect example of what Halo multiplayer should be in 2021, with some serious additions that looks like they complement the sandbox perfectly.

Even little things like the Personal AI is super smart and will help raise the skill level for lower-end players to be able to contribute to objective game types. They are also definitely gearing up to some cool celebrity cameo AI's in future Battle Passes.

infinityBCRT

Nov 1, 2017
Watched about half of the stream. Really liked what I heard. The equipment changes are a big game changer for the better. Only thing extra I could hope for is bringing back some classic Halo 2/3 maps

Azerth

Prophet of Truth - Chicken Chaser
Oct 27, 2017
so it looks like you can use the repulser pickup on the ground for a big jump.

Quample

Dec 23, 2017
Cincinnati, OH
Things I like:
-Gameplay looks like super solid Halo
-Abilities look like Halo 3 but better thus far. Drop wall is like a more reasonable bubbleshield, grapple looks great, deflector looks cool.
-Skins look excellent
-No more red vs. blue is good, their solution of outlines is the way to go
-Movement/strafe speeds and jump height look right to me on first glance.
-New shield effect where the hit location is lit rather than the whole shield is a great and much needed addition
-Graphics look clean, sharp and colorful. Best Halo has ever looked.
-Sound seems to be amazing. And Halo rarely gives me that reaction. Usually the balances are all messed up. Halo 5 was close, but weapons like the DMR still sounded like shit to me. H2: A was the only Halo game where weapon audio felt like it was supposed to.
-The academy. This will be great to mess around with and to get a better feel with weapons, and it will be really good for new players.
-Battlepass system. Seems really well thought out. I hope it works well.

Things I'm unsure about:
-The wall hack ability. It's the only ability that I'm not too keen on. Never a fan of wallhack stuff, even if it isn't too exploitative.
-Ragdoll physics. I could be wrong about this one, but it seems like they're toned down for certain things. Saw some explosions where the deaths seemed a little too strong on the animation side, less on the physical reaction side. I noticed this with the gravity hammer too...people should be flying all around with that weapon.
-Map design aesthetics. Definitely seem like a visual/variety improvement over 5, but need to see more. I know warehouse/box style maps are probably easier to balance, but we need more nature.
-No smart scope. I know a lot of people are happy it's out, but I loved having a little extra zoom on things like the pistol/AR. They also just looked really cool.
-With the fact that they've gone back to a lot of "core Halo values", the downside is that there's not much that seems genuinely new. I guess I'm one of the few people that thought Halo 5's trajectory was the right way to go, even if a few of the ideas weren't executed that well. Granted, there's still some Halo 5 elements here, so I'm happy about that.

Negative:
-Some of the weapon models. The new shotgun looks like it plays great, but it looks ugly to me. The new pistol looks very plain (Halo 5's looked so good!). Commando looks okay, but again a little plain. Besides that I think they're pretty solid though.
-No lateral thruster ability. My favorite gameplay mechanic 343 ever added. Really unhappy to see it go.
-The brightness when the shield breaks. There should be more of a quick pop, not a super bright shine. It's distracting.
-Some of the particle effects are over the top and make things a little too busy. Particles can be really cool, but I miss the clean looking explosion aesthetic of Halo 3. More pop, less debris.

Overall I'm really happy with how this is turning out.

Last edited:

winkerstein

May 5, 2020
North America
Looks amazing. Can't wait to see a full match. I'm interested in how the new equipment effects the arena matches.

All the changes are welcome and I do feel like based on what they have shown so far that it is a good mix of classic and new. The game being f2p with a good battle pass system like this, I think the playerbase should be insane for this game. Hopefully 343 can keep up with having something for everyone, as well as keeping content fresh with maps and modes throughout its lifespan. I need to see forge now, I'm hoping with the inclusion of bots that we will be able to forge with A.I and bots. Player made Firefight maps could finally be a thing.

Ont

Prophet of Truth
Oct 29, 2017
With most arena shooters on life-support, this is the multiplayer FPS game which interests me most.

Also this looks great.