• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Kadath

Oct 25, 2017
I'll make a prediction, the game will have plenty of warming up leading to the point where it will be playable again. As opposed to those expecting that it might be come back up any moment, just all at the sudden without any other sign.

(In the sense that right now there are plenty of people that keep staring at the hole to not miss "the moment". My bet is that there's no risk missing that moment because it will be largely announced before it happens, giving everyone plenty of time to be there. And, as consequence, nothing is going to happen until more information starts trickling in...)

Oct 25, 2017
It's doing numbers for me, but I think we've seen number 14 before (that's what just happened) so it's probably looping

LordDraven

Banned
Jan 23, 2019
The event itself was cool and well executed, but this black hole thing doesn't require any effort nor inventiveness. It's just a bad idea.

The only practical effect it can have is that it might re-ignite the desire to play by artificially creating a need. Taking something away just so you can feel it is missing, and so reinfuse some value in it. But in general these types of effects are fleeting and short lived.
Bad idea? Lol. It was trending on twitter for a day

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
Welcome to Cartmanland I guess.

If the coming changes are genuinely significant and positive then this will probably be a smart gambit. I'm super intrigued but don't have any confidence that they're going to do something to get me back in.

Lupic

Dec 31, 2017
United Kingdom
I haven't played the game properly since.. Season 3 or 4 but have watched every in game event since then and obviously now this.
It has me intrigued, and I'll for sure be trying out "Chapter 2" and giving StW another bash since it's expected to be out of beta/fully released now.
My guess is the whole black hole shenanigans will finish when their usual downtime would finish, so, what, an hour or two from this comment? That said I believe they usually patch on a Tuesday.. it would be amusing if they kept the game offline until tomorrow lol

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Yet it played better than any variant Fortnite has had for at least eighteen months... Fortnite's map has too many PoIs spread over too large an area.
The fact that Fortnite has so many POIs makes pretty much every area of the map viable compared to other BR games where there will be stretches of nothing for a relatively long period of time.

ElBoxy

Oct 25, 2017
All day on Monday:

QvJrFz0.jpg

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
I would like to get on this game, but the construction thing still bothers me.
Remove it, and i'm in.

Razyl

Oct 25, 2017
Don't know if it's the best one out there or anything but this is the one I watched earlier, no commentary.

Just wow - it's impressive what is possible today for a livegame.

If I remember correctly, this should be one of the strengths of Anthem. Doing some big events ingame without an clientupdate or such things. It didn't worked out I guess... but thats another sad story.

packy17

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I always want to play Mario, I don't like jumping though. Remove it, and I'm in.

Eh... it's fair to criticize a nearly-unlimited and instant defense mechanic in a battle royale game. It's the reason I can't get into it either. It definitely takes skill to build, but I don't think being a good builder should be the exclusive deciding factor in who wins matches. Gunplay just doesn't matter in Fortnite and that's not fun for me.

gl0w

QA Tester
Verified
Mar 23, 2018
Eh... it's fair to criticize a nearly-unlimited and instant defense mechanic in a battle royale game. It's the reason I can't get into it either. It definitely takes skill to build, but I don't think being a good builder should be the exclusive deciding factor in who wins matches. Gunplay just doesn't matter in Fortnite and that's not fun for me.

Exactly.
They can even have 2 separate modes for both tastes.

CheapJi

Apr 24, 2018
I never understood why people criticized the building in this game. the argument always ends with how the person just doesn't play enough (or care enough) to learn the mechanics. shits fun man, just learn to use it effectively. Really dont want this game to remove the building and turn into a generic shooter.

also, any news on when the update drops?

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
It's too bad the Save the World component is really lacking in this kind of stuff. Its writing is pretty entertaining & funny but it's all dialogue (most of it in the main menu after/between completing missions, the rest fairly brief banter during missions) and it doesn't have this kind of cinematic stuff at all, outside of, like, one boss fight at the end of the story mode.

Deleted member 1627

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You can get by without building just fine. I can't build for shit during a firefight but have won more than my fair share of games.

Famassu

Oct 27, 2017
Wut? Of course gunplay matters. Plenty of players who do minimal building who trump worse players simply by having the better aim & faster trigger finger (and better spatial awareness & better maneuvers). A good enough player can melt people from far away with assault rifles & sniper rifles and SMGs & miniguns & explosives can do quick work nearby. There are plenty of ways to counter builders that don't involve insane build-battles (explosives, traps, grapplers, shockwave grenades, used to be vehicles but those were removed this season)

And building is hardly "nearly-unlimited". You can spend hundreds of materials pretty quickly and if the enemy wastes as much, they might not leave much behind if you beat them. Building is what makes Fortnite so good. If you don't like it, don't play Fortnite. Go play games that are designed around not being able to build.

Jimnymebob

Oct 26, 2017
You can get by without building just fine. I can't build for shit during a firefight but have won more than my fair share of games.

Yeah, for sure.
I just miss the earlier I guess you'd call it meta, from when BR first launched. So building was mostly used when you had a good position, and you'd just build a big tower close to where you'd guess the final circle would be, and basically dare people to try and approach your trap filled fort.

Now nearly every encounter is just building a big tower until you can peek down on someone and shoot them.

Deleted member 1627

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah, for sure.
I just miss the earlier I guess you'd call it meta, from when BR first launched. So building was mostly used when you had a good position, and you'd just build a big tower close to where you'd guess the final circle would be, and basically dare people to try and approach your trap filled fort.

Now nearly every encounter is just building a big tower until you can peek down on someone and shoot them.
Oh yeah, the whole "I have the jump on this guy oh shit he's now 1000 feet in the air well now I'm fucked" can be demoralising as hell but I can't knock those guys, they've put the effort in so fair play to 'em!

Crossing Eden

Oct 26, 2017
Exactly.
They can even have 2 separate modes for both tastes.
The map is literally designed with building in mind. There are more than several areas that are completely unreachable without building. And several areas where getting down is only possible via building. Building isn't just for battles, it's for navigation. It's fundamentally a core part of the game and it's removal would yes, be akin to taking away the jump from Mario.

16bits

Apr 26, 2019
In the early days, there was a penalty for building large forts.

the builder had the advantage of height, but they could be destroyed. I won a few games by destroying the base of towers and getting a fall death.

when they introduced bouncers, gliders, et al it gave an even greater advantage to builders.

this is the story of Fortnite, it's all about giving the best players the most advantages, and if anything comes along to affect that balance, they destroy it .

a recent example is the combat shotgun, streamers didnt like it as it levelled the playing field

and now snap to aim is gone, destroying any hope pad players had to level the field over mouse and keyboard players.

Rodelero

Oct 27, 2017
I don't really see why there's a debate about whether building should be removed. It shouldn't. Building needs to be changed to minimise its current downsides. The building mechanics benefit those who play negatively, especially at lower skill levels. Turtling players aren't fun to play against and it is not only far harder to beat a turtle than it is to turtle. It also means that the game isn't remotely accessible for new players which might prove to be a fairly big issue for a game with such a large casual/kids audience as the problem gets worse and worse and worse.

There's no world in which it is reasonable for there to be a mechanic which allows you to instantly and cheaply create a wall that blocks all movement and damage and to be able to instantly and cheaply replace it should it get destroyed. It really wouldn't be that hard to change things so that the mechanics don't foster turtling while still allowing all of the mobility/traversal/aggression that it always has.

Last edited:

Deleted member 2809

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
In the early days, there was a penalty for building large forts.

the builder had the advantage of height, but they could be destroyed. I won a few games by destroying the base of towers and getting a fall death.

when they introduced bouncers, gliders, et al it gave an even greater advantage to builders.

this is the story of Fortnite, it's all about giving the best players the most advantages, and if anything comes along to affect that balance, they destroy it .

a recent example is the combat shotgun, streamers didnt like it as it levelled the playing field

and now snap to aim is gone, destroying any hope pad players had to level the field over mouse and keyboard players.
Making 1x1 towers is still trash, with how much they nerfed mobility. It's not meta anymore to do a 1x1 tower because you'll just die. Or you have to carry a flintlock.

Building is never getting removed, get over it really. If you don't like then the game isn't for you.

Klyka

Oct 25, 2017
Germany
I personally don't play Fortnite and the building is something I wouldn't enjoy, but I feel people who ask for it to be removed or greatly reduced in scope seem to kinda miss how integral to the "soul" of Fortnite it is.
It's like one of the main pillars of Fortnite's entire identity as a game.

Status
Not open for further replies.